Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:35 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,281,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
NO.

The american dream is if you want a buck you can go work for it. And if you want more, you can go work for that too.

Is this all americans think about anymore, how can I get something for nothing?
Unbelievable isn't it? These stupid people expecting handouts... Amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 10:38 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,310,913 times
He/She said, decent paying job for all Americans, not handouts, read the post before you type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
NO.

The american dream is if you want a buck you can go work for it. And if you want more, you can go work for that too.

Is this all americans think about anymore, how can I get something for nothing?

Old 10-18-2008, 10:41 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,572,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegirl View Post
About 10 years ago, my husband left his job because he had a dream of starting his own company. We were newly married & had just bought a house & I wasn't making much $$. But it was time-my husband knew it. We used some of our savings, took out a 50K second mortgage on our new home & hoped like hell our 'dream' would work out. We started the company in the basement of our home, worked 6 days a week, 14 hour days for a long, long time. It took tears & dedication because we just knew we could do it. I'm happy to say it ended in the best success we could ever have imagined as our company grew to nationwide proportions. Was is luck, talent, hard work or a little of all 3? Now years later, where we are now- I look back & think how fortunate we are. We have 2 small children now & we have invested for their futures. Neither one of us came from wealthy families. My parents still live in the 35 year old 1,300 sq. ft. ranch home I was raised in. They are 62 & both work full time jobs- & they are both happy with the income they have. The would never accept help or a handout from anyone. I had a great life growing up but we worked for everything we had. Now my husband & I are still the same people at heart. Humble beginnings with some hard work & success in life. I love how people try & villify the "wealthy". We are all mean evil selfish folks right?!

The amount of taxes we currently pay would blow your mind. Now, its so nice of you to volunteer us to pay 40%- you see no reason why we shouldn't & you have no clue. It's easy when you don't have to pay the extra huh? Sorry if after years of blood sweat & tears, we aren't so free willing to give away more of our hard earned money to people who aren't willing to try & succeed for themselves. We did it & risked everything. That's what sets people apart. Not everyone succeeds but it's the drive that sets them apart from the folks at home praying Obama wins so they can get an increase in their monthly government checks or pay even less taxes than the amount they already do. Or those that might want to do better but why should they? If they succeed, they'll only get taxed more so what's the point right?!

Yes, let's stick it to those horrible, greedy b*stards that make more than 250K That mentality never ceases to amaze me.
I agree with Hubble - and there are far more who agree with him than you... and they will vote in November...

I'm glad that you and your husband succeeded - sounds like you are doing very well.

So I see no problem in people who are doing very well (including myself) to pay a higher tax rate.

We need to reduce the budget deficit or we are all living on borrowed time.

And not just people who started a business pay taxes - my wife and I are both salaried professionals - and we probably pay a higher rate than you - we have no business deductions...

I'm willing to pay a higher tax rate to get the national debt paid down so we don't pass on a horrific burden to our children's generation (not just our own children)...

The well to do have had an easy time of it these past 28 years - it's time to restore some equity to the tax system and stop punishing the middle class... They are living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
Unbelievable isn't it? These stupid people expecting handouts... Amazing!
So, if the middle class gets a tax break - it's a Hand Out?

But if the wealthy get a tax cut - it's good for the economy???

Sorry, but I'm voting for Obama.

Maybe he can start to correct the inequities in the tax law - and reduce the disparity between rich and poor - and to put an end to this pandering to the rich and powerful by very corrupt politicians.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,863,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
So, if the middle class gets a tax break - it's a Hand Out?

But if the wealthy get a tax cut - it's good for the economy???

Sorry, but I'm voting for Obama.

Maybe he can start to correct the inequities in the tax law - and reduce the disparity between rich and poor - and to put an end to this pandering to the rich and powerful by very corrupt politicians.
How about a flat tax? And while we're on the subject where does wealthy begin? How about middle class? You see that's the problem, this seems to be a constantly moving bar depending on who is being pandered to at the moment. How about anyone that makes over $70k (that's wealthy for this area) gets slammed with a 40% tax?
Go ahead vote for B.O. but please don't try and convince me that you're not doing it for the "gimmies"...

Old 10-18-2008, 10:59 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,810,796 times
[quote=MovingForward;5740501]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post

Everyone does NOT have "the same chance of an education in this country." My god. The ignorance on this board is sometimes simply stunning.
Please explain to me how everyone does not have the same opportunity for an education and a good job in this country? That is totally outrageous for you to say.
Your dear savior Dumbo is a prime example of success. Every slum in America has a school. If you work hard you can rise about it. I was born into poverty, abandoned by a father and raised by a mother with four kids to feed. She worked full time and went to school and night, got a degree and a great job. All four kids ended up millionaires by hard work and determination.
ANYONE CAN DO IT. some chose to be lazy and stick their hand out. They\t is where the Democrats come in, they get votes because their party has the large percentage of those who chose to live off the system, so they love the demo give-a-way programs..
"The ignorance on this board is sometimes simply stunning." You are a shining example of your own statement....
Go get a job....

Old 10-18-2008, 11:00 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
He/She said, decent paying job for all Americans, not handouts, read the post before you type.
The thread topic is...

Spreading the Wealth Around

Old 10-18-2008, 11:50 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,289,775 times
Note that Hawaii tried spreading the wealth in the name of free health care. They shut the program down after seven months because it was going to break the bank.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:57 AM

[quote=Donn2390;5745618]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post

Please explain to me how everyone does not have the same opportunity for an education and a good job in this country? That is totally outrageous for you to say.
Your dear savior Dumbo is a prime example of success. Every slum in America has a school. If you work hard you can rise about it. I was born into poverty, abandoned by a father and raised by a mother with four kids to feed. She worked full time and went to school and night, got a degree and a great job. All four kids ended up millionaires by hard work and determination.
ANYONE CAN DO IT. some chose to be lazy and stick their hand out. They\t is where the Democrats come in, they get votes because their party has the large percentage of those who chose to live off the system, so they love the demo give-a-way programs..
"The ignorance on this board is sometimes simply stunning." You are a shining example of your own statement....
Go get a job....
You are living in an ivory tower - and definitely out of touch with reality... talk about ignorance on this forum...

Many smart kids are unable to go to college these days because of the high cost of college, combined with the gutting of government support for students over the years. I see that where I live, and I see that when I visit my alma mater... The student body is primarily students from very upper income families, minorities and the poor (who get preverential treatment w/scholarships), and foreign students. The American middle-class is shrinking from big name schools - they are totally priced-out.

And inner-city schools are nothing like those in the rich suburbs - anyone who claims the contrary is extremely ignorant or has their head in the sand.

People from well-to-do families have a distinct education advantage over the typical middle-class family and the poor..

Old 10-18-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
How about a flat tax? And while we're on the subject where does wealthy begin? How about middle class? You see that's the problem, this seems to be a constantly moving bar depending on who is being pandered to at the moment. How about anyone that makes over $70k (that's wealthy for this area) gets slammed with a 40% tax?
Go ahead vote for B.O. but please don't try and convince me that you're not doing it for the "gimmies"...
A FLAT TAX is totally regressive - which is why I hear some Republicans pushing for it... It will hurt the middle class worse than today...

And there is no universal definition of middle class - it varies remarkably by the area of the country you are in.. Maybe where you are 70K is wealthy - where I live, you would be lower middle class. Wealthy is over $250k.

My definition of middle class is- the income level at which one can afford a modest house, modest cars, help pay for their children's college education, and take a 2 week vacation every year, and save for their retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections