Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 02:22 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,075,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
So if nobody cares about Ayers why did they cancel his speech? People do care and they are voicing their opinions about it! Ha..........

k:

UNL cancels William Ayers speech

BY MELISSA LEE / Lincoln Journal Star
Friday, Oct 17, 2008 - 08:33:26 pm CDT

Following widespread public furor over its invitation to ’60s and ’70s radical William Ayers to speak at a conference next month, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln late Friday canceled the speech for security reasons.

“The university’s threat assessment group monitored e-mails and other information UNL received regarding Ayers’ scheduled Nov. 15 visit, and identified safety concerns which resulted in the university canceling the event,” read a four-paragraph statement issued by UNL.

UNL refused to provide specifics on the threats, but Board of Regents Chairman Chuck Hassebrook of Lyons said law enforcement officers had expressed concerns about the potential for violence during Ayers’ speech

“My concern has been not with what he was going to say about education. It was that he’s an unrepentant terrorist,” he said. “(UNL) did the right thing.”

“This is an embarrassment to the University of Nebraska and the State of Nebraska,” Gov. Dave Heineman said. “Bill Ayers is a well-known radical who should never have been invited to the University of Nebraska.”

If he is unrepentant, I would not let any student learning from that man! It's poison.
There are so many other good and ethical professors to learn from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 11:21 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
If he is unrepentant, I would not let any student learning from that man! It's poison.
There are so many other good and ethical professors to learn from.
I have a feeling that parents are going to start screaming about it and want him gone as a teacher.............

Old 10-18-2008, 11:24 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Forgive my ignorance...but who is he? Why do they call him a terrorist?

I was born in the 80's and have never heard of him.
Federal Bureau of Investigation - Freedom of Information Privacy Act (http://foia.fbi.gov/foiaindex/weather.htm - broken link)

In other words they were communist.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Someone with a moral core wouldn't say that threats against some people are acceptable and against others are unacceptable. You either condemn violence and threats of violence or you don't. I guess you don't.
Your very support of Ayers says you condone his gang like mentality.

Ayers didn't like us bombing communist. So he bombed us......several decades later here you are standing up for him.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:32 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
UNL refused to provide specifics on the threats, but Board of Regents Chairman Chuck Hassebrook of Lyons said law enforcement officers had expressed concerns about the potential for violence during Ayers’ speech

“This is an embarrassment to the University of Nebraska and the State of Nebraska,†Gov. Dave Heineman said. “Bill Ayers is a well-known radical who should never have been invited to the University of Nebraska.â€
This only shows that Gov. Heineman puts partisan politics ahead of education and freedom of speech.

Even McCain was able to bring himself to try to tell the yahoos they were wrong and to calm down. Not this guy - he condones it. Just another yahoo himself I guess.

The Board of Regents guy actually quotes the right wing label "unrepentant terrorist." (edit - I see donors were threatening to cut their funding.)

Last edited by delusianne; 10-18-2008 at 11:49 AM..

Old 10-18-2008, 11:40 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,326,555 times
Default This thread should always be near the top!

This thread should always be near the top!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:45 AM

Default Really, how unexpected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
This thread should always be near the top!
Because you want to remind everyone of the consequences of foolish, short-term, cowardly, pandering re-actions?

"While the immediate controversy over Ayers' scheduled appearance may be over, the importance of recognizing that a university is a place for the open exchange of ideas, free of outside political or popular pressure, remains."

- J.B. Milliken, President of University of Nebraska at Lincoln

Old 10-18-2008, 11:51 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Because you want to remind everyone of the "morning-after" consequences of foolish, sort-term, cowardly actions?

"While the immediate controversy over Ayers' scheduled appearance may be over, the importance of recognizing that a university is a place for the open exchange of ideas, free of outside political or popular pressure, remains."

- J.B. Milliken, President of University of Nebraska at Lincoln
Don't even try to use that double talk crap in regards to Ayers it does not apply!

This man should not be allowed to teach period. Unless he wants to open up his own hate school for radicalism...........

I think allot of parents did not even realize it............ You watch I'll bet admissions drop substantially at that school because of Ayers.....

He should not be allowed around impressionable forming minds.

I do think that teachers from different persuasions/thoughts are a good mix for a college but not a TERRORIST that wishes they DID MORE VIOLENCE...

SORRY NOT ME..

Old 10-18-2008, 11:52 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
newsobserver.com | N.C. academics offer Ayers endorsement (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1255781.html - broken link)
CHAPEL HILL - Bill Ayers, the radical militant-turned-university professor whose ties to Democratic Presidential candidate Barack Obama are under scrutiny, is getting some support from faculty members across the country.

Professors from UNC-Chapel Hill are among the more than 3,200 educators who have signed an online petition in support of Ayers. More than a dozen signatories are from local universities here in the Triangle.

Lawrence Grossberg, a UNC communications studies professor, said he signed the petition because he believes Ayers should not be demonized for his actions 40 years ago. He said he also respects the work Ayers does now as an education professor at the University of Illinois-Chicago. Ayers is a school reform advocate who has written or edited more than a dozen books.

"He did break the law, and he was punished and he moved on," Grossberg said. "He built an extraordinary life. He has become one of the leading scholars in the field of education.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Don't even try to use that double talk crap in regards to Ayers it does not apply!

This man should not be allowed to teach period. Unless he wants to open up his own hate school for radicalism...........

I think allot of parents did not even realize it............ You watch I'll bet admissions drop substantially at that school because of Ayers.....

He should not be allowed around impressionable forming minds.

I do think that teachers from different persuasions/thoughts are a good mix for a college but not a TERRORIST that wishes they DID MORE VIOLENCE...

SORRY NOT ME..
"He shouldnt be allowed to teach"/ "impressionable forming minds," what do you think he teaches them? How to make bombs?

Please give an example of any of his students saying he or she became a bomb-throwing radical as a result of what he learned from William Ayers's lectures or books on education.

More importantly, if you could try to lay off the invective - so you dont agree that "a university is a place for the open exchange of ideas, free of outside political or popular pressure". That's crap to you - "double-talk crap." Correct?

A university is only for ideas YOU approve of. Or what someone, some individual or group, approves of.

Correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections