Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 04:08 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,822,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
When federal judges in San Francisco ruled in 2002 that reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools was unconstitutional because it included the phrase "under God," Sarah Palin was not amused. Palin, who at the time was Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, quickly drafted a terse letter to the editor of a San Francisco newspaper.

“Dear Editor,” Palin wrote in 2002. “San Francisco judges forbidding our Pledge of Allegiance? They will take the phrase ‘under God’ away from me when my cold, dead lips can no longer utter those words,” Palin wrote.

“God Bless America,” she concluded.

The 'lost' Palin files - Deep Background - msnbc.com (http://deepbackground.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/25/1448411.aspx - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 05:48 PM

26,484 posts, read 36,326,066 times
Quote:
“Dear Editor,” Palin wrote in 2002. “San Francisco judges forbidding our Pledge of Allegiance? They will take the phrase ‘under God’ away from me when my cold, dead lips can no longer utter those words,” Palin wrote.
Yes, that's just it. The governor clearly thought that it was all about her, and failed to understand that public schools aren't exactly there for the promotion of her religion.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:30 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,061,777 times
And I have never been in a school that prohibited children from saying Under God, they just don't force them too.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yes, that's just it. The governor clearly thought that it was all about her, and failed to understand that public schools aren't exactly there for the promotion of her religion.
That's too bad. No wonder we are failing. It's like a free fall.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:02 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,016,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
That's too bad. No wonder we are failing. It's like a free fall.
I dont see the connection between a challenging curriculum and committed teachers, and the wording of the Pledge of Allegiance.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I dont see the connection between a challenging curriculum and committed teachers, and the wording of the Pledge of Allegiance.
You'd have to do a study on the history of our educational system in this country.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
You'd have to do a study on the history of our educational system in this country.
So the Japanese say the American Pledge of Allegiance and be sure to add "under God," and that is why they do so well academically?

Old 10-18-2008, 07:22 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,069,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Good post...I think that covers SaraTodd Palin pretty well on all isues.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
So the Japanese say the American Pledge of Allegiance and be sure to add "under God," and that is why they do so well academically?
I believe that is a good example of where the disconnect comes in.

You are an "immigrant" when you desire to come to a country to live, work and embrace the values and core beliefs of that country as your own.

You are an "alien" when you desire to come to a country to live and work, all the while, disregarding the values and core beliefs of that said country as your own.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I believe that is a good example of where the disconnect comes in.

You are an "immigrant" when you desire to come to a country to live, work and embrace the values and core beliefs of that country as your own.
At least, the economic core beliefs. Not necessarily the religious or the nationalistic.

Quote:
You are an "alien" when you desire to come to a country to live and work, all the while, disregarding the values and core beliefs of that said country as your own.
Off-topic and creepy to boot. Is that the way the Dept of Immigration Services differentiates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections