Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:04 PM

543 posts, read 1,452,197 times

Advertisements

[quote=Politico;5751250]" will actually vote for Obama because they know deep down that he is the best choice for themselves and our country?"

"and well-being of their families and fellow countrymen, for one final time, and they'll (possibly even begrudgingly) cast their vote for Obama, because deep down they know he is a far better choice than McCain."

Reread these two excerpts from your original post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 09:11 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,693,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
" will actually vote for Obama because they know deep down that he is the best choice for themselves and our country?"

"and well-being of their families and fellow countrymen, for one final time, and they'll (possibly even begrudgingly) cast their vote for Obama, because deep down they know he is a far better choice than McCain."

Reread these two excerpts from your original post.
Yeah, reread them. Ok. Your point?

If you're trying to claim that these two statements/questions are arrogant, you obviously don't understand the meaning of the word, nor the meaning of my question(s).

My questions were regarding how many people will decide FOR THEMSELVES, IN THE VOTING BOOTH (or possibly just beforehand) that Obama is a better choice than McCain. I wasn't asserting that Obama is the obvious better choice FOR EVERYONE. I wasn't aserting that anyone would be forced to choose Obama over McCain. I wasn't asserting that anyone would not be able to make up his or her own mind. I was asking how many people possibly WILL decide that he is the better choice, even though they currently, openly support McCain.

Get over yourself already. Yeah, we know...you can make up your own mind and vote for whomever you choose. That's great. However, it doesn't have anything to do with my OP or this thread. It's so annoying when someone like myself has a legitimate question, but cannot get answers to or have a useful discussion regarding said legitimate question because of thread hijackers like yourself, and posters who do not understand the concept of staying on topic or leaving to start their own threads about other topics.

Perhaps YOU should be the one rereading my OP. You quite clearly didn't understand it, and you quite obviously continue misunderstanding.

Last edited by Politico; 10-18-2008 at 09:20 PM..

Old 10-18-2008, 09:19 PM

543 posts, read 1,452,197 times
Oh please, that last sentence was ridiculously arrogant, "the well-being of our country" .. as if voting other than Obama would cause a world crises. And " after considering the issues", as if people who are McCain supporters are not aware of the issues and would change their mind when they realize that Obama will save the world. What about people who are stated Obama supporters, I'm sure they could change their mind in the booth too right? I don't think I misunderstood your intent.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
Oh please, that last sentence was ridiculously arrogant, "the well-being of our country" .. as if voting other than Obama would cause a world crises. And " after considering the issues", as if people who are McCain supporters are not aware of the issues and would change their mind when they realize that Obama will save the world. What about people who are stated Obama supporters, I'm sure they could change their mind in the booth too right? I don't think I misunderstood your intent.
And she continues to misinterpret...

Oh well, the chick from nj seems to be a lost cause on the reading and comprehension front. Anyone else WHO UNDERSTANDS THE QUESTION care to answer?

Old 10-18-2008, 09:45 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,893,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
This is a great question. But why isn't it the reverse Bradley effect? Are you just trying to avoid another racism back-and-forth discussion?

Because I think that there are areas of the country where the reverse Bradley effect may be strong. I haven't bought the Bradley effect in general, however. In fact you see a ton of people here on C-D saing things like "I just don't trust Obama." How hard is it to come up with a reason to hide racism?

However, there are probably many areas where it is just unacceptable to many to show support for Barack. There may be many whites in the south who are hiding their support. Or at least not showing their support for the Dem candidate.
There was a University study released recently supporting this. It was more tuned into Ohio etc. It was met at first with a degree suspicion but I have seen it referenced again within the last couple of days. I will try to find it and will link if I can.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:50 PM

Study: Obama Could Benefit From 'Reverse Bradley Effect' - FOXNews.com Elections
The researchers attributed the inaccuracy of the polls to social influences. For instance, Greenwald said many women told pollsters they were voting for Hillary Clinton but ultimately cast their ballots for Obama.

"I don't think they're lying to pollsters," Greenwald said, explaining that pollsters are contacting people who are undecided and may feel pressure to say they're voting for the candidate who most closely identifies with them socially.

Greenwald said he expects to see the reverse effect in the general election, but mostly among older voters who say they're supporting John McCain. He expects many will pull the lever for Obama based, on multiple reasons, including the financial crisis. This trend could determine the outcome of the election, Greenwald said, if Obama's lead shrinks in some state polls.

Easley: Reverse Bradley effect possible | newsobserver.com projects
"My barber tells me — and this is a guy who can … legally put a razor to your throat and ask you a question, so that’s a good focus group that he's getting all day long — he says we're going to see a reverse Bradley effect," he said. "There's a lot of people that have been saying all along they'd never vote for Barack Obama, but they’re going to go in the voting booth and they’re going to do it because it's in their economic interest."

Old 10-18-2008, 09:55 PM

This is the best and it includes the original study.
Pew Research Center: Tracking the Race Factor

FiveThirtyEight.com: Electoral Projections Done Right: The Reverse Bradley Effect: Fact or Fiction?
Credit Where Due--Reverse Bradley Effect Edition - The Stump (http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_stump/archive/2008/04/01/credit-where-due-reverse-bradley-effect-edition.aspx - broken link)

Old 10-18-2008, 09:57 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,212,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Do you think that there are many people who publicly claim to adamantly support McCain, but then, when they're alone in the voting booth (or at their kitchen table with their mail-in ballot), will actually vote for Obama because they know deep down that he is the best choice for themselves and our country?

I'm not necessarily talking about the Bradley effect or the reverse-Bradley effect. I'm not referring to racists or closet racists or non-racists or anything like that.

I'm referring more to these voters ultimately voting for Obama (even though they currently claim to be adamant McCain supporters) because once they're in that voting booth, they'll take the issues into consideration - the economy, healthcare, the war, taxes, education, etc - along with the temperaments and convictions of the candidates, along with the health and well-being of their families and fellow countrymen, for one final time, and they'll (possibly even begrudgingly) cast their vote for Obama, because deep down they know he is a far better choice than McCain.

What do you think?
I think the number of stated McCain supporters who will vote for Obama is...Zero. The character of people who vote for McCain are not a bunch of pansies who are afraid to say who they are voting for and are going to cowardly go behind everyone's back and vote something they are not.

This is probably the dumbest questions ever asked on this thread, and the fact that is was asked just proves the Obama worshippers are doubting their own brainwashing at this point, and wondering how many of their own are going to go into the booth and vote for McCain instead.

The fear of going against the cult-like following of Obama is wide spread and rampant. Those who are going to vote for McCain do not have this fear. I don't know how old you are, but you sure have a lot of growing up to do.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:08 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,212,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
I think the number of stated McCain supporters who will vote for Obama is...Zero. The character of people who vote for McCain are not a bunch of pansies who are afraid to say who they are voting for and are going to cowardly go behind everyone's back and vote something they are not.

This is probably the dumbest questions ever asked on this thread, and the fact that is was asked just proves the Obama worshippers are doubting their own brainwashing at this point, and wondering how many of their own are going to go into the booth and vote for McCain instead.

The fear of going against the cult-like following of Obama is wide spread and rampant. Those who are going to vote for McCain do not have this fear. I don't know how old you are, but you sure have a lot of growing up to do.
And..as a matter of fact...I think they'll be a huge number of "closet racists" in the Democratic Party who are saying they are voting for Obama, but won't be able to do so in the booth. Remember it was the Republicans who freed the slaves, and the Democrats who ran the KKK, and although they've done a great job of distancing themselves from being on the wrong side of history in both examples, the mentality still permeates among a large portion of them, and I think it will show up in the votes.

Also, don't forget "Operation Chaos" that Rush Limbaugh started back during the primaries. I think the polls reflect a lot of held over people from that little game that are saying they are voting Obama just to skew the polls and make the media look silly when the election is over.

As much as you'd like to believe that this forum is representative of the entire American population, I hate to tell you that you are sadly mistaken. I have driven my entire neighborhood every week now for 3 week, and out of 564 homes, the McCain signs outnumber the Obama signs 13 to 1. We are talking about middle class families....UPS Drivers, military personnel, with 1400-2000 sq. ft. homes. I heard another guy somewhere in TX give similar statistics where he lives. I'm sure it's the reverse in some locations, but I'm also sure that this forum is not an accurate representation of the typical thinking of middle America.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post

Riiiight. I am fearful and I have a lot of growing up to do.

Pssh. Your fear is so transparent that I can practically feel your knees shaking through your post. I, on the other hand am not fearful in the least. Why would I be? And how in any way, shape or form does my question indicate that I am fearful? I am confident that Obama will be elected. I simply posed a very legitimate question to see what others thought about the possibility that current McCain "supporters" will change their minds or that McCain supporters will see a different light come Election Day.

And judging by the number of positive rep points I've received in the past hour, saying that this is an excellent question, I'm going to file your reponse that it is a stupid question under "Jealous he didn't come up with the question first."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections