Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 04:26 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
I know...another "head shaking" moment! I can't believe Buchanan went there...if Powell had wanted to endorse a candidate just because he is black then he would have done it long ago!
Pat Buchanan has always been a goofball just like his sister, Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I did not hear Powell say that it was a factor at all. Do you have a clip?
He said it was a historical event.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:29 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,230 times
Is his sister the lady that is on CNN all the time with the glasses. Who think Palin is so wonderful.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
Is his sister the lady that is on CNN all the time with the glasses. Who think Palin is so wonderful.
That's the one.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:31 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,230 times
Okay that makes sense.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:40 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that. There is no way that any of know what is or was in his mind that led to his endorsement. I figured he would endorse Obama and I figured that out long ago. But I won't say it was directly just because the man is black, though I do believe it played a part in his decision. How could it not?
Here's what Powell said about this:

Quote:
GEN. POWELL: I'm an American, first and foremost, and I'm very proud--I said, I've said, I've said to my beloved friend and colleague John McCain, a friend of 25 years, "John, I love you, but I'm not just going to vote for you on the basis of our affection or friendship." And I've said to Barack Obama, "I admire you. I'll give you all the advice I can. But I'm not going to vote for you just because you're black." We, we have to move beyond this.
Meet the Press transcript

Old 10-19-2008, 04:44 PM

808 posts, read 1,148,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that. There is no way that any of know what is or was in his mind that led to his endorsement. I figured he would endorse Obama and I figured that out long ago. But I won't say it was directly just because the man is black, though I do believe it played a part in his decision. How could it not?
I am sure the fact that Obama is black made Powell consider endorsing Obama earlier than he would have. That being said...I don't think he would have endorsed anyone if not for three other things:

1. McCain picking Palin as VP
2. McCain being lost on the economy (McCain said it himself that it's his weakest area)
3. The way the McCain campaign has been fueling the hatred of the radical wings of the Republican party. I explained why I feel it's dangerous behavior and Powell sees the same thing and wants no part of it.

If McCain had picked someone else as VP who is strong on the economy and fit to be president in the event of having to and McCain's campaign hadn't sunk so far in the gutter I think Powell would have endorsed him instead or not endorsed anyone.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:24 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
To be fair, Powell even said that it was a factor, but not a main factor. The main factors having to do with how far-right the Republican party is shifting. If it were the main factor, he would have endorsed him earlier on instead of waiting until now. McCain's dishonorable campaigning is what pushed him that way.

He didnt say it was a factor.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:54 PM

118 posts, read 146,495 times
This is presidential election is black versus white,(sad but true) and I'm on the side of the guy who wears the white hat. HI-HO-Silver! Awaaayyy.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:00 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyT View Post
This is presidential election is black versus white,(sad but true) and I'm on the side of the guy who wears the white hat. HI-HO-Silver! Awaaayyy.
and who is wearing the white hat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections