U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 04:48 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,288,137 times

Advertisements

It is on now and will repeat again tonight. THis I guess is a special because of the endrosement of Powell. I thought I had heard Pat Buchanan says silly things before but I guess on Sunday he is better at it. Beside the usual stuff about this endorsement he had to say that Powell went against his party leaving McCain high and dry when he is down. Then he says it has something to do with the fact they are both black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 04:49 PM

3,641 posts, read 3,024,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
It is on now and will repeat again tonight. THis I guess is a special because of the endrosement of Powell. I thought I had heard Pat Buchanan says silly things before but I guess on Sunday he is better at it. Beside the usual stuff about this endorsement he had to say that Powell went against his party leaving McCain high and dry when he is down. Then he says it has something to do with the fact they are both black.
Powell has always been a moderate Republican, if he is truly a Republican. I thought he was an Indpendent.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:50 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,424,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I know...another "head shaking" moment! I can't believe Buchanan went there...if Powell had wanted to endorse a candidate just because he is black then he would have done it long ago!

Old 10-19-2008, 04:52 PM

3,641 posts, read 3,024,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
I know...another "head shaking" moment! I can't believe Buchanan went there...if Powell had wanted to endorse a candidate just because he is black then he would have done it long ago!
I wouldn't be so sure about that. There is no way that any of know what is or was in his mind that led to his endorsement. I figured he would endorse Obama and I figured that out long ago. But I won't say it was directly just because the man is black, though I do believe it played a part in his decision. How could it not?

Old 10-19-2008, 04:53 PM

2,866 posts, read 4,181,543 times
Rush Limbaugh (if anyone cares) also seems to think racism is the only reason Powell endorsed Obama.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that. There is no way that any of know what is or was in his mind that led to his endorsement. I figured he would endorse Obama and I figured that out long ago. But I won't say it was directly just because the man is black, though I do believe it played a part in his decision. How could it not?
To be fair, Powell even said that it was a factor, but not a main factor. The main factors having to do with how far-right the Republican party is shifting. If it were the main factor, he would have endorsed him earlier on instead of waiting until now. McCain's dishonorable campaigning is what pushed him that way.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:07 PM

17,005 posts, read 14,354,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
To be fair, Powell even said that it was a factor, but not a main factor. The main factors having to do with how far-right the Republican party is shifting. If it were the main factor, he would have endorsed him earlier on instead of waiting until now. McCain's dishonorable campaigning is what pushed him that way.
I did not hear Powell say that it was a factor at all. Do you have a clip?

Old 10-19-2008, 05:14 PM

3,256 posts, read 3,251,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
With that logic, how could any black person not support Obama, or how could I , a white person support him? What is wrong with all of you? Sometimes people actually sit down and think about what they are doing and not just do what is expected of them.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I did not hear Powell say that it was a factor at all. Do you have a clip?
He said that if his race were the main reason he would have endorsed a long time ago, but that he couldn't deny that electing an African American would be (several positive adjectives)...sorry can't remember exactly. If you listen to his interview on Meet The Press he is asked the question about endorsing based just on race.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:22 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,288,137 times
I listening to that Interview again and it will replay later. I think he clearly and respectfuly shares exactly why he is voting for bama. I thought he shared his thoughts very well. I think that this will be the talk for the next few days. Although I did hear someone from the GOP say it wouldn't. The talk at the water cooler will be Palin on SNL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections