Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:36 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,581,248 times

Advertisements

A Republican polling firm, polls a Republican state, and gets a 10-point Obama lead.

Looks like all that Bill Ayers, ACORN, and not to mention "Northern Virginia is communist country" (where McCain has his campaign HQ) and "Northern Virginia is not really Virginia" talk is really helping McCain in the commonwealth, huh?

Rasmussen: Obama up by 10 in VA (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/virginia/election_2008_virginia_presidential_election - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 10:39 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,058,729 times
But, but, but... McCain is closing the gap!!!

just not where is matters.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,823,277 times
northern VA is not really virginia. ask anyone whose lived there. why the hell do you think it's called NOVA. to separate itself from the rest of VA.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:46 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,581,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
northern VA is not really virginia. ask anyone whose lived there. why the hell do you think it's called NOVA. to separate itself from the rest of VA.

That may be true. It's largely a 'subway suburb' of DC, but is it really smart for one of your campaign spokespersons to go on national television and alienate 1/4 of Virginia voters by calling them "fake" Virginians and absurdely refer to NOVA as a communist enclave?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:53 AM

I don't agree with most of what mccain has done, especially in the senate. I remember when NOVA was actually VA. when I moved there, there were farms inside the beltway. that was in 1980. the fact that NOVA has become a government subdivision can be seen with the out of control growth of both government, and NOVA. both are large and unmanageable, and if you have been on 495 heading towards tysons, you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
That may be true. It's largely a 'subway suburb' of DC, but is it really smart for one of your campaign spokespersons to go on national television and alienate 1/4 of Virginia voters by calling them "fake" Virginians and absurdely refer to NOVA as a communist enclave?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:01 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,889,347 times
Quote:
why the hell do you think it's called NOVA. to separate itself from the rest of VA.
It's called "Northern Virginia" because there isn't a single dominant city.

Quote:
northern VA is not really virginia. ask anyone whose lived there.
OK, I will! I'm "anyone who's lived here" so I'll ask myself.

Q: Hey normie, you've lived in NOVA since the 90's. Do you think NOVA is "really Virginia"?

A: Yes, we're definitely Virginians and we're very real! And more important, our votes are real, too.

People who say NOVA isn't "real" Virginia remind me of McCain pretending that if he doesn't look Obama in the eye or shake his hand, that means Obama isn't a real candidate. Nice try, but denial doesn't change reality.

Last edited by normie; 10-20-2008 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,889,347 times
Quote:
I remember when NOVA was actually VA.
I remember when NOVA was actually Virginia, too. It was this morning. It'll still be Virginia when I wake up tomorrow morning, too.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:07 AM

there is a single dominant city, washington DC. the rest is just urban sprawl. we have been down this road before. you live in loudoun, and I don't consider that nova. you can, and that's fine. but I am more of a beltway guy. NOVA is big government will tons of out of area people. but you are right. it is really virginia. just ask your neighbor, whose from new jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
It's called "Northern Virginia" because there isn't a single dominant city.

OK, I will!

Q: Hey normie, you've lived in NOVA since the 90's. Do you think NOVA is "really Virginia"?

A: Why thanks for asking, normie. You betcha we're real Virginians! And more important, are votes are real, too.

People who say NOVA isn't "real" Virginia remind me of McCain pretending that if he doesn't look Obama in the eye or shake his hand, that means Obama isn't a real candidate. Nice try, but denial doesn't change reality.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:09 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,805,042 times
Quote:
This is some truly bogus claim. How is NoVa different from the Hampton Roads? Are you suggesting that the Hampton roads is the real VA? What about Central VA? Is this not part of VA too? Lets not fool each other, we all know that NoVa is just a terminology.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:14 AM

NOVA is nothing but transplants. the only thing that makes it virginia is the geography. the hampton roads area is just a huge military base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
This is some truly bogus claim. How is NoVa different from the Hampton Roads? Are you suggesting that the Hampton roads is the real VA? What about Central VA? Is this not part of VA too? Lets not fool each other, we all know that NoVa is just a terminology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections