Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:27 AM

808 posts, read 1,148,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
It is your over confidence about this situation that is getting you in trouble here. I never said I know more than you about your neighbors, so you being "quite sure" about this is just a retort to something that was never in play, there is strike one.

The fact that you have a similar mailing address as someone does not mean that you "know whats best" for them. They can have different political, and economic views and reasoning than you do, and in fact there are plenty of people who think that Obama's plans are dead wrong for the economy, and plenty who think that McCain's are dead wrong...many of those folks include Economic PhDs. So the fact that you still claim to know whats best for these people with the signs in their yard is still so full of arrogance that you cant even bring yourself to see it...strike two.

You have one strike left.
I know the reason why lower income people in Maine would vote McCain. The highest percentage of hunters here are lower income people. I know this because that is how I grew up and was true of virtually every lower income family I know. The only reason they are supporting McCain is because the NRA told them too and they are under the false belief that Democrats will take away their guns so they can't hunt to help feed their families.

I know Democrats aren't going to put an end to hunting. You can call it arrogance if you want...but when a person gets attacked in the way I have been in this thread and accused of lying when they are telling the truth they tend to get a little snarky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 10:28 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
(sigh)... Maine is an economically "challanged" state. As in many towns and cities there are some neighborhoods that are struggling. In many cases there are individuals and/or families living in those neighborhoods that are barely scraping by. Maine also has a reputation for independent people. We (for the most part) don't want handouts, and live within our means. I think a lot of the people voting Republican here are doing so in great part because of personal beliefs. The abortion issue alone may influence their decision. There are pastors preaching politics from the pulpit here. Again, I love Maine and I love Bangor. In this case Centaurmyst has made a correct observation. There are people that are struggling that happen to have McCain signs up. Is it that they don't realize the tax situation? I doubt it. It's more likely personal beliefs. (IMHO) I also see older mobile homes that look ready to fall down, but they have huge halloween displays, ATV's and snowmobiles. It's their way and their choice.

The #1 choice of Maine Millionares is the ford F-150

Old 10-21-2008, 10:31 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centaurmyst View Post
I know the reason why lower income people in Maine would vote McCain. The highest percentage of hunters here are lower income people. I know this because that is how I grew up and was true of virtually every lower income family I know. The only reason they are supporting McCain is because the NRA told them too and they are under the false belief that Democrats will take away their guns so they can't hunt to help feed their families.

I know Democrats aren't going to put an end to hunting. You can call it arrogance if you want...but when a person gets attacked in the way I have been in this thread and accused of lying when they are telling the truth they tend to get a little snarky.
The simple "truth" that you are missing is that you do not know whats best for someone else in most cases. That was your statement. This is a very simple concept to grasp.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:33 AM

808 posts, read 1,148,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
The simple "truth" that you are missing is that you do not know whats best for someone else in most cases. That was your statement. This is a very simple concept to grasp.
I said they are voting against their FINANCIAL best interests and I am 100% right on that count.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:38 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
I said they are voting against their FINANCIAL best interests and I am 100% right on that count.
Again, their financial best interests are open to interpretation. Different people have different priorities, ethics, ideals, morals, and goals. I know plenty of people who think Obama will put more money in their pocket, but hate the concept of HOW he will do it and would rather another solution, and to them THAT is in their best interest. You have no business telling someone what is in their best financial interests, when you may have different philosophical views on what that best interest is.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:52 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Keep Government out of Religion
They've got it backwards.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:09 PM

312 posts, read 725,873 times
Quote:
I was driving around town earlier today into residential areas. There is something very strange that I noticed about Presidential Election Campaign Signs. Every house that had a McCain/Palin sign in front of it was one of the most run down houses on the street. These were not the homes of financially well off people. The houses with the Obama/Biden yard signs were well kept and you could tell that those families were financially successful enough to take excellent care of their homes.

I honestly don't know why on earth people who can't even afford to paint their homes or replace broken garage windows would vote against their own best interests. It's just not logical for lower income people to support someone who simply doesn't give a crap about them.

Has anyone else noticed this? I think it's so bizarre...
I've noticed the same thing as you here in Pennsylvania....it's beyond belief....

Old 10-21-2008, 02:11 PM

312 posts, read 725,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
ya got *that* right!!

Old 10-21-2008, 02:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Exactly. Keep YOUR religion out of MY life... if you want to get involved in politics give up your exempt status.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:09 PM

213 posts, read 336,866 times
Don't know what kind of neighborhood you're talking about, but I have two McCain signs in my yard, and believe it or not, our home is less than one year old, our grass is cut, our home is painted, our taxes are paid, there are no cars up on blocks in the front yard nor is there garbage littering the lawn. I know this is surprising, considering our audacity at actually having the nerve to think for ourselves. How shocking is that? And, you won't believe this but, we actually have all our teeth, know how to read, our children have shoes on their feet and we even can put a sentence together without our heads exploding. The same can be said for my neighbors with McCain signs. Then again, we do go to church, believe in the sanctity of life, believe in America's freedoms and capitalist society and are actually proud of our country. I guess that makes us racist, rednecks right? No, wait a minute, according to your guy barry hussein osama, we are "bitter Americans clinging to our guns and religion."

And, so proud of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections