U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 PM

5,370 posts, read 4,624,887 times

Advertisements

Saint Martin de Porres

Pope John XXIII remarked at the canonization of Martin (May 6, 1962), "He excused the faults of others. He forgave the bitterest injuries, convinced that he deserved much severer punishments on account of his own sins. He tried with all his might to redeem the guilty; lovingly he comforted the sick; he provided food, clothing and medicine for the poor; he helped, as best he could, farm laborers and Negroes, as well as mulattoes, who were looked upon at that time as akin to slaves: thus he deserved to be called by the name the people gave him: 'Martin of Charity.'"

I guess some people see what they want to see.

Last edited by plannine; 10-20-2008 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,245,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Oh yes. There are vendors on Stoney Island (Chicago's southside) that hit you up at the stoplights for washcloths, white athletic socks, bottles of water, fruit and the Obama religious icon candles. Gives new meaning to one-stop shopping.
Well, it still doesn't make sense, and I definitely still can't reconcile the freakishly large, out-of-place head on an otherwise proportionate body, but...okay. Ah well. There are freaks hanging effigies of Obama on the right, and freaks praying to him on the left. Apparently, freaks cross the party lines.

I also still don't see any news references... (shrug) I don't want to call anyone a liar, but since none of this actually adds up any way you look at it, I'll just call it a day on this particular subject.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:02 PM

738 posts, read 1,691,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
It is so scary that so many people are so stupid as to look at him as some kind of messiah, but that happens to be the mindset of most of the people voting for him. Ignorance at its best.
Absolutely!!!!!
It is an insult-their ignorance.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:03 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,748,655 times
Where I live, those religious candles are produced in all sorts of variations. We have "Law go away" candles and candles you can burn to increase wealth and love, etc. They don't always have saints on them. Of course, I also live in the land where Jesus has been known to appear on a tortilla.

I'm just saying that because someone made a candle with Obama's picture on it, it doesn't mean anyone is treating him as a saint. More likely it's just kitsch.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:05 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,915,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, it still doesn't make sense, but...okay. Ah well. There are freaks hanging effigies of Obama on the right, and freaks praying to him on the left. Apparently, freaks cross the party lines.

I wasn't exactly sure what the washcloths or the white athletic socks had to do with the daily commute, either. But now that I think about it, when traffic gets really bad, you could always put on the socks, wipe the sweat from your brow as you get out and take your chances in the 'hood, light your Obama candle and say a little prayer.

No religious offense intended.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:08 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,915,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Where I live, those religious candles are produced in all sorts of variations. We have "Law go away" candles and candles you can burn to increase wealth and love, etc. They don't always have saints on them. Of course, I also live in the land where Jesus has been known to appear on a tortilla.

I'm just saying that because someone made a candle with Obama's picture on it, it doesn't mean anyone is treating him as a saint. More likely it's just kitsch.

I had my window down as a driver went off on the fools selling the Obama candles on the street corner. If they are a part of your religious observance, I can see that it would be offensive.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:10 PM

5,233 posts, read 7,713,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Gimme a friggin' break!
McCain reacted when a reporter showed him the photo:

Old 10-20-2008, 07:11 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,748,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
I had my window down as a driver went off on the fools selling the Obama candles on the street corner. If they are a part of your religious observance, I can see that it would be offensive.
Or perhaps he was just an enthusiastic McCain supporter.

Like truth is the first casualty of war, a sense of humor may be the first casualty of a presidential election.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:14 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,817,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Republicans exibit a little more class when it comes to politics (as exemplified during the Bush presidency).

I don't use the expression ROFL much. Hardly ever. But I haven't seen a comment more worth of a ROFL than this one.

ROFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or