U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2008, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,450 posts, read 20,098,322 times
Reputation: 8374

Advertisements

Thing is it's really kinda stupid. Powell is the one who spoke before the UN for 80 min. urging other nations to join us in our new war. Both Clintons supported the war as did most of the lawmakers who now endorse Obama. He now has put himself on the other side of all these lawmakers who did what they did because they absolutely had to be right. They didn't have the luxury of talking against the war or voting present and hoping it would all just go away. Americans hate a Monday morning quarterback. Powell's presence is a reminder that people back then had to take a stand and not just snipe at those who did. It's called accountability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2008, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,450 posts, read 20,098,322 times
Reputation: 8374
Powell's endorsement along with the endorsements of all the lawmakers who voted for the war reveals the simple fact that he's a Monday morning quarter back at odds with everyone in Washington who had to take responsibility for their vote if things went bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 09:38 AM
 
808 posts, read 1,029,753 times
Reputation: 173
Dissing Powell is going to backfire. The vast majority of Americans have a deep and resounding respect for Powell. All the wingnut pundits dissing him is going to hurt McCain even further and just prove what Powell said about the McCain campaign and Republican party veering too far to the right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 09:38 AM
 
Location: DC area
1,691 posts, read 2,198,742 times
Reputation: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Thing is it's really kinda stupid. Powell is the one who spoke before the UN for 80 min. urging other nations to join us in our new war. Both Clintons supported the war as did most of the lawmakers who now endorse Obama. He now has put himself on the other side of all these lawmakers who did what they did because they absolutely had to be right. They didn't have the luxury of talking against the war or voting present and hoping it would all just go away. Americans hate a Monday morning quarterback. Powell's presence is a reminder that people back then had to take a stand and not just snipe at those who did. It's called accountability.
I'm not sure I understand your point. Yes Powell publicly supported the war. He did his job. In private he was against it and worked against it and was subsequently ignored by Cheney and company. There is a lot of stuff on record about this. He made the choice to make that speech and was wrong for it though I'm a rational enough person to know why he did it.

There are a couple of books that give very interesting seemingly innocuous tidbits of information (yet very telling) about how deteriorated relations were between Powell and the WH such as that Powell read one or two major Bush announcements in the morning paper just like everyone else. He was very out of the know in that administration.

Was he wrong to support the war yes, as were most. That cannot be denied. But like many people's support the issue isn't black and white.

I could give an example of a 'good' Republican who came out yesterday in support of Obama, who did not vote for the war or anything else but when I did that yesterday all the Reps ignored it entirely.

Quote:
Powell's endorsement along with the endorsements of all the lawmakers who voted for the war reveals the simple fact that he's a Monday morning quarter back at odds with everyone in Washington who had to take responsibility for their vote if things went bad.
Wait now, by your logic if they are all to be dismissed because of their votes which seems to be what you're saying then McCain too has to be dismissed.

People on all sides screwed up. Yet the ones that turned the screws on everyone are still in office. It boggles the mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Redneckistan
11,102 posts, read 13,188,659 times
Reputation: 3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by politico View Post
which dem, who's as prominent and well-respected as colin powell, have "we" seen support mccain? Please don't say lieberman. We all know he's nowhere near as influential as powell. Who else? Puma? Pssh.

You're severely deluded if you think powell's endorsement doesn't mean anything. If it didn't, the republicans wouldn't be raging as hard as they have been for the last two days.

But, tell yourself whatever you need to, in order to make it through your day. Meanwhile, we'll all go on knowing that powell's endorsement means a whole h of a lot for obama and unfortunately, negatively for mccain.

Sorry boutcha, 'pubbies. Keep on cryin in your pillow if you want to, but the tremendously popular former secretary of state from the mcbush...ahem...i mean, bush administration just switched sides. And it's muy importante. Get over it, and quit bashing him and/or his endorsement. Your blatant seething is unbecoming.
great response!!! You beat me to it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,492 posts, read 51,367,509 times
Reputation: 24613
Please remember that the Bush administration lied to General Powell by presenting him with falsified intelligence. They also lied to the rest of the country. Saddam Hussein was our strongest ally against al-Qaida in the area. Saddam made the supreme mistake of threatening to trade oil in Euros. Preventing that, and the control of the Iraqi oil reserves, was the reason for this war. The Bush administration could not say that because long term grand theft is not a good reason to get a few hundred thousand people killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 09:57 AM
 
Location: On Top
12,388 posts, read 11,631,450 times
Reputation: 4027
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Colin Powell's endorsement of Barack Obama does matter, despite the howls from the right that "no endorsement by anyone matters". If that were true why would Buchanan, Limbaugh and the rest of the right wing shouters be so incensed?
I don't know how much impact Powells endorsement will have on the numbers but I think it will help Obama. Speaking about Limbaugh that moron is a nut case, anybody that puts any value in what he says must be as well.

YouTube - Limbaugh says Powell endorsement is only about race
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,178 posts, read 40,973,781 times
Reputation: 29902
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Thing is it's really kinda stupid. Powell is the one who spoke before the UN for 80 min. urging other nations to join us in our new war. Both Clintons supported the war as did most of the lawmakers who now endorse Obama. He now has put himself on the other side of all these lawmakers who did what they did because they absolutely had to be right. They didn't have the luxury of talking against the war or voting present and hoping it would all just go away. Americans hate a Monday morning quarterback. Powell's presence is a reminder that people back then had to take a stand and not just snipe at those who did. It's called accountability.


Another thing is Powell went before the UN armed with the LIEs given him by the Bush administration as being factual. Or is that truth just a little too inconvenient for you to mention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
 
16,300 posts, read 24,956,366 times
Reputation: 8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Thing is it's really kinda stupid. Powell is the one who spoke before the UN for 80 min. urging other nations to join us in our new war.
And he regrets it, and he recognizes that he was fooled just like the rest of us by the blizzard of lies and trumped up intelligence from Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld go to war at any cost machine.

Though I never voted for him, he too fooled me and I supported his actions after 9/11 until it was clear that Bin Laden and Afghanistan were just a ploy to go into the ME and 'finally get Saddam'. Proof? Read the frigging newspaper any day you choose, we are getting our clock cleaned in Afghanistan, and Bin Laden is still a free man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,492 posts, read 51,367,509 times
Reputation: 24613
Most of the right is pissed because they thought that Mr. Powell was bought and paid for. They do not realize that Gen. Powell has always been his own man and was never bought by anyone. They cannot believe that he would 'turn on them' by supporting Senator Obama. It was literally inconcievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top