Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:07 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,387 times

Advertisements

Inquiring minds want to know.

I hear a lot from McCain supports about his "closing the gap" so, what states will this closing gap garner McCain in his search for 270 votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 12:27 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
Inquiring minds want to know.

I hear a lot from McCain supports about his "closing the gap" so, what states will this closing gap garner McCain in his search for 270 votes.
It's not much in question anymore.

I hope if CD Obama supporters are still planning to give money, they'll consider donating instead to close races where a Dem challenger representing their views has a good chance at knocking off a right winger. Regardless of what State the race is in. Use the money wisely. Obama has enough. ( And can raise more at a drop of the hat if by some long shot he needs to)

Old 10-21-2008, 12:40 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
>I hope if CD Obama supporters are still planning to give money, they'll consider donating instead to close races where a Dem challenger representing their views has a good chance at knocking off a right winger. Regardless of what State the race is in. Use the money wisely. Obama has enough. ( And can raise more at a drop of the hat if by some long shot he needs to)<

LOL I hope opposite.

I dont want union card check, repeal Taft Hartley, etc etc etc.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:46 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
yes by all means donate to who you wish.

In your case I would play defense. Since they're are really no chances of defeating a Democratic incumbent or winning the Presidency I would give to a endangered GOP incumbent who represents your views. (Plenty of choices there)

Old 10-21-2008, 12:47 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
I hope this is one thread without garbage thrown on both sides.

Assuming that WV, FL, OH, IN, CO, NV, NC are the battleground states...
WV - from what I've been reading its close but not really that close for Obama and this should go GOP
FL - there are 150,000 more registered Dems than Reps in FL, I would say FL goes Obama just by this number
OH - this is one really tough state to figure out. Dem Cleveland, Rep Cinci, Columbus in the middle.
I do not think we can call Ohio really until 11/3 and the poll numbers trickling. Bush won OH by about 100k votes in 2004, that is about 9 votes per precint (spel). TOO CLOSE STILL.
IN - Looks close for Barack, but all signs are it will remain GOP
CO - From what I have read, its looking like it will turn blue this go around. Obama.
NV - Ditto for NV as in CO - Obama.
NC - Is similar to Ohio, I don't think anyone can predict until 11/3. Its a dead heat. TOO CLOSE STILL

Other states that may or may not be battlegrounds
VA - I think VA is lost to Obama this time, thanks to NoVA and Richmond. OBAMA
PA - It has gotta go Obama, especially with Biden as a native Scrantonian.. but you never know.. OBAMA

Thoughts from people who live and/or know these states?

I look forward to a thread discussing states and not candidates...

It might be fun for one person to take a swing state, do some research, and start a poll.. then again I think CD is mostly Obama folks.. but this is what I have heard McCain supporters state.. I really do not know..

Old 10-21-2008, 01:02 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
If the polling data is reasonably accurate, I don't see a way that McCain can win. If he takes every state that is currently too close to call plus VA he only winds up with 265 votes. If he turns CO or NM, he picks up those votes. Keep in mind, though, that if he turns NM then there would be a tie and that means Obama wins, since the House would break the tie.

Unfortunately, Obama has been polling consistently above 50% in CO and NM for the last 3 weeks with little or no movement. McCain has pretty much written off Colorado if today's reports are accurate.

NM and CO are the only Obama-leaning states that are even close. His only chance is to turn one of the states in which Obama has a 10 point lead.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:12 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,671 times
I just don't see McCain getting enough votes myself. Bush got Ohio, Virginia, and Florida and needed them. McCain isn't getting more than one of them if he's lucky. He'll take NC, but lose New Mexico, Iowa, and Virginia. If everything else stays the same from 2004 (and that would be a big if), he'd still trail Obama.

Please God, just make the winner a "clear-cut" winner.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:29 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Amen.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:32 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,964 times
MSNBC just showed this. I think they said Obama would only have to get Col and he wins. McCain I think has to get the rest. They didn't have NC or Ind. in the states. They explained that if he could get Pa then he would have to get as many states. I don't think he will get PA Obama is up anywhere from 8-10 points. I guess that is why he is there. Although this morning a reporter covering his rally there said there was less than 1000 people

Old 10-21-2008, 01:34 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post

Ugh, just got a flashback to the debacle that was the 2000 election.

Something about hanging chads....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections