Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,332,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I am absolutely amazed that we're still discussing the poor plight of the rich.

Time and again I see the endless sighs talking about what will happen when the rich leave?! You're going to tax them until they're not rich anymore!

Yet there is virtually no mention of the fact that a greater disparity in economic classes exists here than has ever existed in our history. It is also greater than that of other countries despite all those taxes that are beleaguering the rich.

Funniest of all is that there is rarely a mention of the reverse. If the rich create and give the jobs it is the poor or little man that do said jobs. My gripe is if you're going to gripe about the poor rich then lets also gripe about the poor middle and lower classes.

I'm reminded of the Newboys strikes in NYC in 1890 something. The rich made the world go round by giving out jobs but the poor made the world stop when they refused to do said jobs.
The problem is that if the "rich" create jobs, they just send them overseas, anyway. Trickle-down to U.S. citizens is a myth. Even if U.S. citizens get jobs, they usually pay too low because the rich do NOT believe in "trickle-down" like Ronald Reagan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,622,697 times
The mindset coursing through these threads is "if you have more money than I do, then I deserve to have some of it. Not because I worked for it, but because you have more than I do."

Tax credits to those who pay no taxes? the term is a misnomer. It's a handout, plain and simple.

The Union Leader article by Thomas Akin is a reasoned, easy to understand piece. I wonder how many of the people arguing here bothered to read it. Doesn't matter that it's a conservative newspaper. Those who want to make an informed decision will read both conservative and liberal views and thoughtfully evaluate what they're reading.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,839,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Any small business that is paying their full percentage of taxes is either ignorant or has a really, really bad accountant. Most small businesses show a net loss on taxes each year after salaries and business reinvestment.

A CPA firm should be better at legally sheltering their profits.

Even Warren Buffett says he pays a lower tax rate then his secretary.
YouTube - Tom Brokaw interviews Warren Buffett
Buffet hinks that corporations should not pay taxes. Considering his company paid $7 Billion last year, the fact that people keep mis-quoting him is histerical...

Old 10-23-2008, 09:02 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,061,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
You didn't answer my question. Let me repeat.

All those rich people aren't rich anymore because they've been taxed so much. Then who does he tax?
The rich are not in any danger of extinction. So your supposition is false.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:16 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,812,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Really? Why don't you post some objective sources to back you up on that?

That poor people will suffer if rich people are taxed 11.5% more???
You better believe the poor will suffer if the rich are taxed any % more... Get a clue...! No wonder you're a demo...!
Do you really need a link to common sense..? Can you possibly be so naive as to think any cost incurred by business will not be passed on to the customer?
Anytime costs go up to a business, one of two things happen, either the business passes the cost on to the consumer, or they lay off some of their personnel. They are not just going to absorb the cost and lose money, and tax is an expense...! So those 95% are definitely the ones who will pay the tax increase...
The democrats want to elect a 60's radical to office and think they are really going to get free education and free healthcare. That will not happen, some one has to pay for all the free stuff,and it's going to be all of us, not just the richest 5%.
Obama is a slick used car salesman and the ignorant democrats fell for his line of BS. You are going to be very sorry if he gets into office... Wise up while there is still time....

Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,922,989 times
Oh look what happened to jobs when Clinton raised taxes? Compared to Bush who lowered taxes??

http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/wp...06/krugman.JPG

Washington Post

""When President Bill Clinton raised taxes in 1993, the unemployment rate dropped, from 6.9 to 6.1 percent, and kept falling each of the next seven years. When President Bush cut taxes in 2001, the unemployment rate rose, from 4.7 to 5.8 percent, then drifted to 6 percent last year when taxes were cut again. ""

Old 10-23-2008, 11:26 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,532,718 times
Quote:
All those rich people aren't rich anymore because they've been taxed so much. Then who does he tax?
This is one of the best post!!!

This is so true, Pelosi and friends have been talking about increase of taxes for people making $ 40 K and up!!!!

You nailed it!:

Old 10-23-2008, 11:40 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,449,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
or take their money and jobs to another country?
Like they did in the Clinton years? You know, when all the rich people were so taxed they left and the American economy soiled the linens, making for one of the least prosperous decades ever?

Wait. That didn't happen did it.

Oh--I see-- you must have a faulty premise. Sorry. I assumed you thought your answer out before you posted it.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,839,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Oh look what happened to jobs when Clinton raised taxes? Compared to Bush who lowered taxes??

http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/wp...06/krugman.JPG

Washington Post

""When President Bill Clinton raised taxes in 1993, the unemployment rate dropped, from 6.9 to 6.1 percent, and kept falling each of the next seven years. When President Bush cut taxes in 2001, the unemployment rate rose, from 4.7 to 5.8 percent, then drifted to 6 percent last year when taxes were cut again. ""
So you've started posting facts that admit unemployment levels are lower under Bush (4.7-5.8%) then Clinton (6.9-6.1%)? Odd that Bushes highs are lower then Clintons low..

Old 10-23-2008, 11:55 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,437,535 times
Quote:
You didn't answer my question. Let me repeat.

Hey Sparky, guess what the tax rate was for the top earners 50 years ago! You didn't see a mass exodus of the rich to Bermuda, did you? hahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections