Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:05 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times

Advertisements

In a word: very.

But who needs brains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 03:18 AM

972 posts, read 1,330,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Why is that?

Palin has far more experience than Obama. She has done very well as Governor of Alaska, before that she was a Mayor. It seems to me she can grasp concepts and ideas better than your giving her credit. And she's proven it! What about Obama makes you feel he is better than her when she has the track record with experience and he doesn't?

She doesnt have more experience than Obama, and She isnt running against Obama, you can only compare her to Biden by these measures.

wasilla is the size of a small college inside of chicago. a speck. The population of all of alaska could be fit in one neighborhood of a medium size city.. you catch what I am saying?

Obama has been in his field of study and work, longer than her.

She has a really bad approval rating in Alsaska. People are not happy with
corruption and misuse of power. What I dont like about her most, is she mean spirited and hateful. Her and McCain are trying to lie their way into office with dirty tactics.

Also right now we are in war and an economic crisis, I think Obama and Biden's eduaction is very much part of what people like. They can understand the issues without having to be coached.

Obama's resume

Education

Undergraduate

Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA
Undergraduate, 1981-1983
Columbia University
B.A. Political Science with specialization in international relations
Thesis topic: Soviet nuclear disarmament

Graduate

Harvard Law School
J.D. magna *** laude 1988-1991
President, Harvard Law Review

Organizing and other work experience

• 1983-1984 Writer/Researcher for Business International Corporation. Helped companies understand overseas markets in the “Financing Foreign Operations” service and wrote for the “Business International Money Report”
  • 1984-1985 Community Organizer for New York Public Interest Research Group (PIRG), promoting personal, community, and government reform at City College in Harlem.
  • 1985-1988 Director of the Developing Communities Project (DCP), a church-based community organization originally comprising eight Catholic parishes in Greater Roseland on Chicago's South Side. While director grew the DCP staff from 1 to 13 and their budget from $70,000 to $400,000.
  • 1992 Led Chicago's Project Vote! push. This effort resulted in a record number of voter registrations, over 600,000 in Chicago. 1)

Teaching

• 1993-2004 Visiting Law and Government Fellow, then Senior Lecturer, in Constitutional Law at the University of Chicago Law School. Taught courses on the due process and equal protection areas of constitutional law, on voting rights, and on racism and law. Helped develop a casebook on voting rights.

Law Practice

• 1993-2002 Worked as an associate attorney with Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland. Represented non-profits and private individuals in urban development projects, voting rights cases, and wrongful firings. Filed major suit that forced the state of Illinois to enforce the Motor Voter Law and successfully argued a wrongful firing case before the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals.

>>>>>******** Illinois Senate 1996-2004 ************<<<<<<

• Chairman, Health and Human Services Committee
  • Spearheaded a successful bipartisan effort in Illinois to pass the broadest ethics-reform legislation in 25 years, and gained bipartisan support for his successful bills reforming death penalty interrogations and ending racial profiling by police. Worked with the Republican-led effort to reform welfare.
  • Also sponsored successful bills expanding tax credits and child-care subsidies for low-income working families, protecting overtime pay for workers, expanding health care for children, and providing job skills training for juveniles.
New York Times chart on Obama's legislative record in the Illinois Senate: The New York Times > U.S. > Image > Obama’s Record in the Illinois Senate

United States Senate 2004-present Sworn in 1/4/2005

• Member, Senate Foreign Relations Committee
  • Chairman, Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee on European Affairs
  • Member, Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
  • Member, Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
  • Member, Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
  • Shares responsibility for the bipartisan Coburn-Obama Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006, requiring full online disclosure of all entities receiving federal funds, and the bipartisan Lugar-Obama Cooperative Proliferation Detection, Interdiction Assistance, and Conventional Threat Reduction Act of 2006, deepening non-proliferation work with WMD and including surface-to-air missiles, land mines, and other weapons that may be used by terrorists. Also worked with Coburn to end the abuse of no-bid contracts in the wake of disasters.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:17 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
What I find interesting is this- the posters in this thread from Alaska- Ray and Metakala seem to be more forgiving of issues that irritate the heck out of the rest of us.

And I know for certain that one of those posters is an Obama supporter- yet they are debunking mistruths about Palin's family in this very thread. And both Ray and Metakala seem to be intelligent, reasonable people.

I've visited Alaska and it is truly very, very different than the lower 48. These are people who are in some instances stuck where they are unless they get on a plane or a boat. I would imagine there are people who live long, full lives without ever leaving their corner of Alaska.

It seems as if dropping out of school, teen pregnancies, and a different way of thinking are not out of the ordinary there- and are possibly more accepted- and expected in some cases- than they might be in other parts of the country.

I'm with the folks that agree that Palin is definitely not an intellectual. And I believe she has no place on the presidential ticket- either as Pres or as VP. Her inability to string an intelligent sentence together is the first on a long list of issues I have with her.

However, when it comes to criticizing families and children, I think it's really unfair to pick on the Palin children. They seem to be doing what is accepted as normal in Alaska. It's not their fault (and that may not be the right word because I see nothing wrong with being raised in Alaska) that they were born and raised in and area with very different practices and priorities than the rest of the country. It's not their fault that the standards for much of the rest of the country are different than those of Alaska.

Metakala mentioned that her son sought higher education and chose to leave Alaska in order to pursue it. Somehow I believe Metakala cultivated that curiosity and intellect in her son. From reading her posts here, I can see that she would have encouraged him to learn everything he could about the rest of the world and made it realistic for him to believe that he could see and experience it. That is a conscious choice a parent makes- because often, it is the parents who encourage in their children a sense of wanderlust and the knowledge that the world is within reach.

The younger Palin children are being raised different than the older ones were. The Palins were a young married couple when Track and Bristol were born. I'm sure they were much more focused on their lives and careers than they were on the world at large. There is nothing wrong with that- in fact it's very normal throughout America. But I think the younger Palins may have broader horizons than their older siblings do. They are traveling throughout the country and have been exposed to different things at a much younger ages.

I've rambled enough- but my point is, the older Palin children- actually none of the Palin children deserve any criticism. Unless we were raised in Alaska we cannot compare our lives to theirs.

And perhaps the difference between Alaksa and the lower 48 is reason enough to assume that Palin is not qualified to lead our country. But rumor, innuendo and criticism of the children does not belong in that debate.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
There are still serious questions about who is the mother of Trig Palin, the Down's Syndrome baby. Notice the pic of Palin when she would have been 6 months pregnant. The daughter Bristol missed 4 months of school (for a long case of 'mono') which were also the last 4 months of Sarah's reported pregnancy. Tough coincidences.

http://themoderatevoice.com/politics...d-sarah-palin/
Who is the Mother of Trig Paxon Van Palin? | Comments from Left Field
Sarah Palin's Lies
Really, this is below the belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
Palin is a doer and not a talker. She is very inarticulate, however she knows how to get things done and do them right most of the time. I can compare her to an immigrant who is hard-working but cannot articulate well. However, this immigrant has the know-how and focus to get things done. Palin's type is a focused person. She focuses on her project and forgets about everything else thus causing her naivity on other issues and inarticulation. But the advantage is that the project she focuses on gets done as evident by her many accomplishments in Alaska.

Teenage pregnancy. All I can say from what I've observed is that most of them usually end up more successful than the average American and go into management & executive positions. They mature early and gets the family out of the way early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
Sarah's biggest problem is that she is vey inarticulate. Her language is that of a mother talking to her children. Her language is very informal and she does not know how to string words together to form an intelligent-sounding sentence.

She needs to join the toastmasters and get a lot of training on public speaking.
Which is interesting since she is a journalism major. She was very articulate at the RNC, reading a speech. She was good on SNL following a script. She just can't think for herself.

Quote:
Why is that?

Palin has far more experience than Obama. She has done very well as Governor of Alaska, before that she was a Mayor. It seems to me she can grasp concepts and ideas better than your giving her credit. And she's proven it! What about Obama makes you feel he is better than her when she has the track record with experience and he doesn't?
I joing the crowd who says she does not have more experience than Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I'm with the folks that agree that Palin is definitely not an intellectual. And I believe she has no place on the presidential ticket- either as Pres or as VP. Her inability to string an intelligent sentence together is the first on a long list of issues I have with her.

However, when it comes to criticizing families and children, I think it's really unfair to pick on the Palin children. They seem to be doing what is accepted as normal in Alaska. It's not their fault (and that may not be the right word because I see nothing wrong with being raised in Alaska) that they were born and raised in and area with very different practices and priorities than the rest of the country. It's not their fault that the standards for much of the rest of the country are different than those of Alaska.

I think some Alaskans might bristle at that.

Metakala mentioned that her son sought higher education and chose to leave Alaska in order to pursue it. Somehow I believe Metakala cultivated that curiosity and intellect in her son. From reading her posts here, I can see that she would have encouraged him to learn everything he could about the rest of the world and made it realistic for him to believe that he could see and experience it. That is a conscious choice a parent makes- because often, it is the parents who encourage in their children a sense of wanderlust and the knowledge that the world is within reach.

The younger Palin children are being raised different than the older ones were. The Palins were a young married couple when Track and Bristol were born. I'm sure they were much more focused on their lives and careers than they were on the world at large. There is nothing wrong with that- in fact it's very normal throughout America. But I think the younger Palins may have broader horizons than their older siblings do. They are traveling throughout the country and have been exposed to different things at a much younger ages.

The next one, Willow, isn't much younger. They are traveling now. When the race is over they will go back to Alaska and their family's life style, as will Piper and Trig.

I've rambled enough- but my point is, the older Palin children- actually none of the Palin children deserve any criticism. Unless we were raised in Alaska we cannot compare our lives to theirs.

And perhaps the difference between Alaksa and the lower 48 is reason enough to assume that Palin is not qualified to lead our country. But rumor, innuendo and criticism of the children does not belong in that debate.
I disagree that Alaska is so "different" except geographically. I think it is condescending to say that. I do agree the kids don't deserve criticism. Barack Obama said that, too.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:39 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,075,206 times
Obama's resume

Education

Undergraduate

Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA
Undergraduate, 1981-1983
Columbia University
B.A. Political Science with specialization in international relations
Thesis topic: Soviet nuclear disarmament

Graduate

Harvard Law School
J.D. magna *** laude 1988-1991
President, Harvard Law Review

Organizing and other work experience

• 1983-1984 Writer/Researcher for Business International Corporation. Helped companies understand overseas markets in the “Financing Foreign Operations” service and wrote for the “Business International Money Report” (WEAK)
  • 1984-1985 Community Organizer for New York Public Interest Research Group (PIRG), promoting personal, community, and government reform at City College in Harlem. (WEAK)
  • 1985-1988 Director of the Developing Communities Project (DCP), a church-based community organization originally comprising eight Catholic parishes in Greater Roseland on Chicago's South Side. While director grew the DCP staff from 1 to 13 and their budget from $70,000 to $400,000. (WEAK)
  • 1992 Led Chicago's Project Vote! push. This effort resulted in a record number of voter registrations, over 600,000 in Chicago. (WEAK)
Teaching

• 1993-2004 Visiting Law and Government Fellow, then Senior Lecturer, in Constitutional Law at the University of Chicago Law School. Taught courses on the due process and equal protection areas of constitutional law, on voting rights, and on racism and law. Helped develop a casebook on voting rights. (WEAK)
Law Practice

• 1993-2002 Worked as an associate attorney with Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland. Represented non-profits and private individuals in urban development projects, voting rights cases, and wrongful firings. Filed major suit that forced the state of Illinois to enforce the Motor Voter Law and successfully argued a wrongful firing case before the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals. (WEAK)
>>>>>******** Illinois Senate 1996-2004 ************<<<<<<

• Chairman, Health and Human Services Committee
  • Spearheaded a successful bipartisan effort in Illinois to pass the broadest ethics-reform legislation in 25 years, and gained bipartisan support for his successful bills reforming death penalty interrogations and ending racial profiling by police. Worked with the Republican-led effort to reform welfare. (ILLINOIS IS STILL CORRUPT, PARTICULARLY CHICAGO)
  • Also sponsored successful bills expanding tax credits and child-care subsidies for low-income working families, protecting overtime pay for workers, expanding health care for children, and providing job skills training for juveniles. (OK - NOTHING MAJOR)
New York Times chart on Obama's legislative record in the Illinois Senate: The New York Times > U.S. > Image > Obama’s Record in the Illinois Senate

United States Senate 2004-present Sworn in 1/4/2005

• Member, Senate Foreign Relations Committee
  • Chairman, Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee on European Affairs
  • Member, Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
  • Member, Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
  • Member, Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
  • Shares responsibility for the bipartisan Coburn-Obama Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006, requiring full online disclosure of all entities receiving federal funds, and the bipartisan Lugar-Obama Cooperative Proliferation Detection, Interdiction Assistance, and Conventional Threat Reduction Act of 2006, deepening non-proliferation work with WMD and including surface-to-air missiles, land mines, and other weapons that may be used by terrorists. Also worked with Coburn to end the abuse of no-bid contracts in the wake of disasters. (OK)
THERE IS NOTHING IN OBAMA'S RESUME THAT indicates that he is AN AGENT OF CHANGE and that he had successfully change anything major.

So the people are hiring a president LACKING in EXECUTIVE experience and a president who is going to use the entire USA for large-scale experiments of his theories.

He did not change ILLINOIS nor Chicago. And his ACORN is a complete failure and corrupt. What he did was pour money into an organization (ACORN) that was a complete failure and was part of the cause of the ECONOMIC crisis. That's not change for the better. That's change for the worse!!!

See
YouTube - EVIDENCE FOUND!!! Clinton administration's "BANK AFFIRMATIVE ACTION" They forced banks to make BAD LOANS and ACORN and Obama's tie to all of it!!!

Palin has more solid experience than Obama. She is an agent of change in Alaska.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:47 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
While dropping out of high school isn't good, I see nothing wrong with not going to college, nor does it say you're anti-intellectual. College isn't for everybody.

BTW I have a bachelors degree and I hated every minute of college.

School attendance shouldn't be confused with education, it's entirely possible to teach yourself far more than school does, IF you have the hunger for knowledge.

What's scary about Palin is her apparent lack of curiousity.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:57 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Why is that?

Because after being asked not once, not twice, not even thrice, but FOUR times, she still hasn't a clue what the Vice President's role in government actually is. This is a very clear indication that she doesn't "get it", she doesn't grasp new concepts with any fluency.

After seven years of George Bush's butchery of the English language and his grossly incurious nature, the last thing I desire is for someone who more closely resembles Ms. South Carolina get on my TV and attempt to discuss world affairs and foreign policy in a long string of , "and such as, like you know and such as".

Bless all those on the right and in conservative circles who have wholly rejected this woman as completely unqualified for the position she is running for. She might even be a good mayor, she may even be a great gov. of Alaska, but she was the wrong choice for VP and most people see through this stunt.

Before you go off on some Obama being unqualified rant, I'm not voting for him due to his inexperience as well. For me, I could give a damn about party politics and the right v left dichotomy, I only wish to see the most qualified person fill the position.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Really, this is below the belt.

Which is interesting since she is a journalism major. She was very articulate at the RNC, reading a speech. She was good on SNL following a script. She just can't think for herself.

I joing the crowd who says she does not have more experience than Obama.

I disagree that Alaska is so "different" except geographically. I think it is condescending to say that. I do agree the kids don't deserve criticism. Barack Obama said that, too.

I was not trying to offend anybody with my post. And if you haven't lived in the lower 48 and visited Alaska the differences might not be apparent to you.

Many homes in Alaska uses cisterns to collect rain water.

Many villages in Alaska do not have doctors and rely on herbal remedies to treat things like the flu and other comon ailments.

Travel to see different ways of life is not always possible.

There are areas of Alaska that are only accessible by helicopter- NOT by plane, NOT by boat, and NOT by road.

There are people in Alaska who have never been to a mall or a movie or eaten at a fast food restaurant- or any restaurant for that matter.

There are areas of Alaska with no television.

The differences are significantly more than geographical.

I have raised my son in a small town in Florida. Somewhat rural, an up and coming suburban area. He's been here since he was a baby. He is now in high school and I cannot imagine the culture shock he would experience if I were to move to a large city in the Northeast- or even to a suburban section up there. What is acceptable and normal here is not always acceptable and normal elsewhere. And vice versa.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:42 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,075,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I was not trying to offend anybody with my post. And if you haven't lived in the lower 48 and visited Alaska the differences might not be apparent to you.

Many homes in Alaska uses cisterns to collect rain water.

Many villages in Alaska do not have doctors and rely on herbal remedies to treat things like the flu and other comon ailments.

Travel to see different ways of life is not always possible.

There are areas of Alaska that are only accessible by helicopter- NOT by plane, NOT by boat, and NOT by road.

There are people in Alaska who have never been to a mall or a movie or eaten at a fast food restaurant- or any restaurant for that matter.

There are areas of Alaska with no television.

The differences are significantly more than geographical.

I have raised my son in a small town in Florida. Somewhat rural, an up and coming suburban area. He's been here since he was a baby. He is now in high school and I cannot imagine the culture shock he would experience if I were to move to a large city in the Northeast- or even to a suburban section up there. What is acceptable and normal here is not always acceptable and normal elsewhere. And vice versa.
Did those people live there by choice? Why don't they move? Did they ask their leaders to change their way of life into a modern life?

Or do they want this type of life preserved?
You make it sound like it is all negative.
People live in rural areas away from the city and modern life by choice.
If they don't want to, then they should tell their leaders so things get changed quickly.

I am sure McDonalds would be dying to install their franchise there.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:00 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,337 times
Look at her own lack of education. How many different schools did it take her to get a journalism degree? I agree how she raises her own kids IS important,without a doubt.
I think that our country's leaders should set an EXAMPLE for the youth of our country. For example,when I was at the Obama rally Saturday,my husband & I spoke to several young black men,in their late teens/early twenties,who were SO excited at the prospect of going to college under Obama's plan. They see him as an example,& were ver enthusiastic in following his lead. They were very well dressed,articulate & polite. Years ago in Kansas City most of the black youngsters saw there were dressed as "gang-bangers",blaring rap music. What I saw at the rally was in total contrast to what I'd seen in all the years past when I've visited KC. Stopped at Long John Silver's in Olathe,KS,on the way home,& s young black man,who saw our Obama buttons & struck up a conversation w/ us,ALSO mentioned Obama's plan for kids to be able to afford college. He was very enthusiastic & hopeful about it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections