Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:45 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,563,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
While I admit, I decided quite some time ago that I couldn't vote for either McCain or Obama for a variety of reasons. What confirmed by sentiments was this video put out by of all people Ralph Nader, in which shows in their own words, how many times and on how many issues, McCain and Obama hold the same positions.

YouTube - Three Way Presidential Debate - Obama, McCain, and Nader

Sure they have different core political philosophies, but in our current political arrangement, both aim for the middle as best they can and end up just like each other.
I agree ... I was leaning on voting for the lesser of the two evils, but that is still advocating for evil and with the race already in favor of Obama, I am voting for a voice of discontent that of a third party. The main difference between Obama and McCain is the war, yet McCain advocates for "100 years in Iraq", Obama advocates striking Pakistan, they were both for the bailout and both for illegal immigration, in the end they are not that much different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 07:51 PM

49,990 posts, read 63,301,795 times
You mention you don't get mailings from McCain, only Obama. It has always seemed strange to me that Democrats send mailings to Democrats, and Republicans to Republicans. As a Republican, I've been invited to two McCain rallys, but never an Obama rally.
Why do the candidates only preach to the choir? I would be very interested to attend an Obama rally to listen to the other point of view. Who knows how many voters would be swayed if they were exposed to the other side? I don't get it.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:52 PM

972 posts, read 1,326,458 times
When Kucinich endorsed Obama is when I started to think I might actually vote.

Then when I learned Palin supported AIP, and her Husband had been a member..
who had been sponsored by iran to help Alaska suceed...

and when I started to hear them attack Obama with untruth's and smears..
that only seemed to really be true about mccain/palin .. i cant stand hypocrites!!

So I sat down and obsessively made pro/con check lists for both mccain and obama

so here I am,
the more I find out about Obama and Biden, the more I love....
the more I find out about mccain and palin, the more I am disgusted.

Obama and Biden is right for this nation, I have no doubts at all.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:59 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,528,088 times
Although I hate to admit it I voted for Bush last time. Big mistake and won't allow my vote to be wasted this time. I will as my husband vote for Obama. I have been more interested in this election than any other. We have struggled like many with jobs. I'm so excited this time to vote for Obama and feel good about that. So I should get McCain stuff but don't.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:53 AM

956 posts, read 1,230,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You mention you don't get mailings from McCain, only Obama. It has always seemed strange to me that Democrats send mailings to Democrats, and Republicans to Republicans. As a Republican, I've been invited to two McCain rallys, but never an Obama rally.
Why do the candidates only preach to the choir? I would be very interested to attend an Obama rally to listen to the other point of view. Who knows how many voters would be swayed if they were exposed to the other side? I don't get it.
I think this in incorrect. I am a Republican and I haven't gotten any mailings from McCain other than requests for donations.

Nor have I gotten mailings from Obama. My husband, a registered Independent, is getting all the mailings from both candidates.

Understand that both campaigns are focusing all their advertising on Independents.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:42 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,142,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
I agree ... I was leaning on voting for the lesser of the two evils, but that is still advocating for evil and with the race already in favor of Obama, I am voting for a voice of discontent that of a third party. The main difference between Obama and McCain is the war, yet McCain advocates for "100 years in Iraq", Obama advocates striking Pakistan, they were both for the bailout and both for illegal immigration, in the end they are not that much different.
Well I worked for the Ron Paul campaign and was going to just write him in, but it didn't occur to me that here in Tennessee:

Quote:
TN state law requires any Presidential write-in candidate to register with every single county election commission in the State. Ron Paul has not done so therefore any write-in votes for him will simply be discarded and not counted.
So I'll probably cast a vote for Baldwin or even Barr.

I have written quite extensively on how similar our two primary candidates are and how our functionally two party system by its very design produces candidates only shades apart. Then after watching Nader's little video clip of both candidates speaking on all the many many things they voted the same on, I figure what heck is the point.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:51 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,834,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
I think this in incorrect. I am a Republican and I haven't gotten any mailings from McCain other than requests for donations.
I've gotten a ridiculous amount of mailings from McCain campaign, which I think is hilarious since I'm a well known Obama volunteer. Everything sent to me is a waste of their money, so I'm all for it. We were also getting robocalls all day long, but yesterday we disconnected all the phones so I don't know if they're still trying or finally gave up.

I don't think there's much rhyme or reason as to who gets mailings and who does not. IMO, they buy mailing lists and don't really look at them. Total waste of money, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:00 PM

574 posts, read 1,205,450 times
I started out independent, not leaning either way. What swayed me was the GOP's erratic, often negative, campaign. They are just all over the place and never have come up with a plan. When McCain does say something he will do (rather then simply attacking Obama) it's absolutely daft (the government buying foreclosed houses?? Dumb!). Then Palin happened. He still had half a chance with me until then. A VP that could have made up for his weaknesses would have kept him in the game for me. By the time he tried his "suspend the campaign" stunt I was gone.

I'm registered unaffiliated in NC. I get about 8 calls a day from the Repubs (mostly for Dole, but some for McCain). They are getting more and more vile and I really wonder which way they are trying to sway those last undecideds? The last few polls have showed going negative isn't working, so they are going more negative?? WTH?

I haven't gotten any mailings or calls from Obama, but did have a couple people stop by the house campaigning for him. One more time... campaigning for HIM, not against anyone else. McCain should have tried that tactic months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections