U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,127,077 times

Advertisements

With all the campaigning that has been going on for months starting with the primaries what has worked. Money has been spent to get each of their words accross. I see signs everywhere, mailings , TV spots, radio. THe debates, conventions and the web. What really works for people. I decided on Obama last winter while still living in Michigan. I now live in North Carolina. We don't get phone calls mabe because we both have cells. We get mailings from Obama but never McCain. For me mailings and radio don't impress me although I don't like the neg malings that are going out. I find watching the debates helped most although I really had already decided. I watched both the primaries and the last three. I went to Obama rally and have watched them but they do tend to be the same. I like interviews and watching them to see how they handle things going on now like the economy. I 'm interested to see what Obama will do with these 30 mins he has on Oct 29.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 11:40 AM

11,128 posts, read 12,373,924 times
While I admit, I decided quite some time ago that I couldn't vote for either McCain or Obama for a variety of reasons. What confirmed by sentiments was this video put out by of all people Ralph Nader, in which shows in their own words, how many times and on how many issues, McCain and Obama hold the same positions.

YouTube - Three Way Presidential Debate - Obama, McCain, and Nader

Sure they have different core political philosophies, but in our current political arrangement, both aim for the middle as best they can and end up just like each other.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 AM

2,857 posts, read 5,848,533 times
What helped me decide? In one letter - W

Old 10-23-2008, 11:43 AM

69,372 posts, read 53,599,519 times
2 things
1) Obamas tax plan, which is very anti american
2) Obamas supporters, who seem to be on the fringe of society or have a "time to get even" mentality..

Old 10-23-2008, 11:44 AM

3,413 posts, read 7,834,257 times
McCains lack of ability to make sound and consistent decisions that would be good for America.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:46 AM

1,989 posts, read 3,842,181 times
I decided over the last eight years as I was repeatedly shocked, disappointed and disgusted at the "New McCain" who took shape in order to get the nomination.

There was a very dark deal made in 2000. McCain signed away his principals. Very sad.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:46 AM

54,144 posts, read 38,225,022 times
McCains' cintinued support for Bush policies and his VP choice both lead me to believe he has very poor judgement.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:48 AM

4,095 posts, read 7,199,555 times
What first attracted me to Obama was his very public denouncement of the Iraq war (which I was against since the beginning) at a time when denouncing the war was a very risky and potentially dangerous thing to do. It showed a lot of courage, foresight and conviction.

Being able to observe Barack's calm, rational temperament and ability to bring people together to get things done--especially when compared to John McCain's petulant, erratic nature and divisive, win at all costs campaign--really sealed the deal for me.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:48 AM

4,172 posts, read 5,856,835 times
I used to like the Republican party but over the last 6 yrs, I have drifted away - thanks to WingNuts and W's actions. Palin converted my dislike to a very intense dislike of the ticket. Plus, McCain is really not at all the maverick he once was.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:49 AM

1,989 posts, read 3,842,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
2 things
1) Obamas tax plan, which os very anti american
2) Obamas supporters, who seem to be on the fringe of society or have a "time to get even" mentality..

Obama's tax plan, which is anti-American because it simply reverts to the tax code as it stood pre-2000 (in America)? The tax code in which the rich still pay less than they paid pre-Reagan? In which working class families are no longer saddled with a burden that effects putting bread on the table, while the wealthy pick up a burden that effects how many extra homes they can buy?

I didn't know becoming a nation of slums and mansions was American. Guess I missed that part when I studied history in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or