U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:39 AM

8,834 posts, read 17,328,764 times

Advertisements

"If we talk about the economic crisis, we lose" - McCain Campaign 2008

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 07:41 AM

10,356 posts, read 20,640,157 times
There goes the neighborhood.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:42 AM

The Dow is already down over 400 points. Wow.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:45 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,821,439 times
Very scary.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Very scary.
I'm certainly not cheering about it.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:49 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,531,772 times
And the Obama plan of raising taxes will certainly fix this right? So let me ask, if Obama is the messiah and is definately going to win then why is the market not showing any type of confidence or stability?
Don't say because bush is still in office, he's a lame duck and y'all know it. The Dems are in charge of the congress (with an approval rating lower than the unibomber btw) and there's not s**t coming out of them except to call people redneck racists or other wonderful attacks so what's the grand plan other than to blame Bush/McCain?

Old 10-24-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And the Obama plan of raising taxes will certainly fix this right? So let me ask, if Obama is the messiah and is definately going to win then why is the market not showing any type of confidence or stability?
Don't say because bush is still in office, he's a lame duck and y'all know it. The Dems are in charge of the congress (with an approval rating lower than the unibomber btw) and there's not s**t coming out of them except to call people redneck racists or other wonderful attacks so what's the grand plan other than to blame Bush/McCain?
The republicans had eight years and they screwed up. It's somebody elses turn, so step aside. That's only one or two votes in the congress they have the majority of. They need 60 to do anything.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:54 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,387,429 times
Quote:
I would guess that since we live in a global economy we are seeing a ripple effect that is racing around the world and back. We are headed into a global recession and everyone is trying to get out of the market at once.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
) I didn't say Obama raising taxes would fix the stock market. It will help to pay down the massive debt we're in, but that's going to take a while
) Stock markets don't care who the President is. They care about the unknown.
) I didn't say Obama was the messiah.
) I didn't blame it on Bush or congress.
) I'm simply pointing out that McCain's campaign has stated that if the economy is the #1 issue at election time, their candidate loses (the electorate always punishes the incumbent president/party in a recession). Do you think there are any other issues as pressing right now?
) Obama is not talking about rednecks. Palin is. You are.
) I saw Obama speak live not long ago and all he basically talked about was the economy.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:25 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,531,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
) I didn't say Obama raising taxes would fix the stock market. It will help to pay down the massive debt we're in, but that's going to take a while
While it's true it'll pay down the debt who and when you target for the increase has an effect.

Quote:
) Stock markets don't care who the President is. They care about the unknown.
This simply is not completely true. While uncertainty is a factor so are the stated policies of the canidates and what they'll do to business.

Quote:
) I didn't say Obama was the messiah.
Many on this board are certainly inferring it.
Quote:
I didn't blame it on Bush or congress.
Why? it's definately in their purview.
[quote]I'm simply pointing out that McCain's campaign has stated that if the economy is the #1 issue at election time, their candidate loses (the electorate always punishes the incumbent president/party in a recession).
Quite true except some people have his insane notion that there's a big lever in the whitehouse that the president can pull to make the economy go up and down so he's the only one to blame.

Quote:
Do you think there are any other issues as pressing right now?
Immigration for one, this is killing many budgets from police to healthcare.

Quote:
) Obama is not talking about rednecks. Palin is. You are.
Did you miss Mr. Murtha?
Quote:
I saw Obama speak live not long ago and all he basically talked about was the economy.
Because that's the hot button issue of the day right now and an easy one to pass blame on. If they talked about let's say Immigration they run a high risk of alienating either the hispanic vote or their base. Just like if they talk about the third rail SSI...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or