U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:41 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,909,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I can say that Obama's ability to speak caused me to listen , what he wants to do when he gets in office is why I will vote for him. Besides the tax thing I'm very interested in Health care. As Americans I find it terrible that people can't see a doctor because they have no insurance or money. It is great to have healthy children but we as well need healthy parents. Seinors that can't even afford their own medication. People who get ill and then have to file bankruptcy.
Old people living on the streets. It's shameful how we don't take care of our own in this country. It disgusts me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 12:44 PM

5,391 posts, read 6,752,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I can say that Obama's ability to speak caused me to listen , what he wants to do when he gets in office is why I will vote for him. Besides the tax thing I'm very interested in Health care. As Americans I find it terrible that people can't see a doctor because they have no insurance or money. It is great to have healthy children but we as well need healthy parents. Seinors that can't even afford their own medication. People who get ill and then have to file bankruptcy.
Great post. Agree 100%. The sizzle is good, but the steak is better.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:46 PM

34,995 posts, read 33,009,420 times
It's so awful that ideas like kindness and inclusion have become things to suspect and mistrust and jeer at, in some minds. Didnt just happen recently either.

Division, selfishness, cruelty... toxic ideas.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:51 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,413,875 times
Exactly, the yes we can be Americans again and not rip each other to shreds but work hard for good causes and prosperity. To be more than we are and to see the American idea back in the forefront, not just the capitalist system, but the idea of free people governing themselves and doing it well.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:12 PM

743 posts, read 1,128,551 times
Default A case for kool-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I don't want to be rude, I really don't. I appreciate that you are fully for obama and that he has made an impact on you. What I wonder though, is your decision to support obama based on his charisma or his policy?
Undeniably obama is a gifted speaker, and he certainly is very presidential like. I really enjoyed listening to him at the dnc convention myself. But I grow uneasy when it seems a lot of people are drawn to obama more for his personality then for his politics. I guess what I am trying to say is -- is obamas lure a cult of personality or a political movement?
Again, I'm not trying to downplay your connection or support for obama and I am certainly not saying that obama doesn't have more to offer then just his charisma....I'm just wondering how much a part obamas charisma plays in this election?

edited to add: my candidate has zero charisma (ron paul) just to let you know where I am coming from
I think a case can be made for being taking in by his charisma, although many on the right want to dismiss it as some sort of mindless cult following. Just like any other leader, you should not underestimate the power to motivate people. This is one of the most important jobs a leader has. Unlike Bush, who scared the American people into making decisions, Obama is trying to convince us that we can actually effect change ourselves.
To use an analogy, I'm sure there are plenty of executives out there that are very intelligent and very aware of what is going on in their industries. They even have intelligent plans about how to continue to run their business even better, plans that are ready to be implemented. However, it does them no good if they cannot commmunicate them coherently to the employees and help the employees to believe that the plan will work. This is absolutely crucial for an effective leader.
Obama has helped millions, including many who have been historically ambivalent or even frustrated with politics, to believe that this is still our country and our government. Say what you will about his arrogance, but it is not simply his ego that has driven this movement.
At the risk of committing Democratic heresy, he has had an impact very similar to Reagan's "morning in America."
It doesn't hurt that I also agree with him on many of his politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or