Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's Volunteering for McCain or Obama?
I have volunteered for the McCain campaign 8 33.33%
I have donated money to the McCain campaign 2 8.33%
I have volunteered for the Obama campaign 11 45.83%
I have donated money to the Obama campaign 13 54.17%
I have volunteered for another candidate 0 0%
I have donated money to another candidate 1 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:46 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,991 times

Advertisements

I did some phone banking for Obama’s campaign yesterday. It was the first time I’ve ever done hard labor, volunteer work for a political candidate and it felt great! They had us calling Obama supporters and Obama leaning supporters in Nevada to encourage them to vote early and to provide them with polling locations. I’ll likely continue phone banking up until Nov. 4. I’ve also donated money to Obama’s campaign, once during the primary and again yesterday for the general election.

There’s a lot of chatter and back and forth in this forum for and against each candidate, but how many other people are backing up their words with action to help their candidate get elected?

Share your stories about volunteering on the campaign trail....

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 10-24-2008 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 10:54 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,301 times
I've done phone banking and canvassing for Obama. I'm also working as a poll watcher on election day.

I maxed out on my donations, but I think my volunteering has done as much, or more good. I usually canvass at least 50 houses a day for the last month. Some days I do 100.

golfgod

Old 10-24-2008, 10:57 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I've done phone banking and canvassing for Obama. I'm also working as a poll watcher on election day.

I maxed out on my donations, but I think my volunteering has done as much, or more good. I usually canvass at least 50 houses a day for the last month. Some days I do 100.

golfgod
WE did event canvassing. Went to all the local events and gave out literature etc. Also, we did registration in the spring. I cannot be a poll watcher because I work as an election official at our local precinct.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:07 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,493,942 times
wow I am the only one here for McCain, I have done both donated and volunteered for McCain

Old 10-24-2008, 06:34 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
wow I am the only one here for McCain, I have done both donated and volunteered for McCain
Might be indicative of a lack of real, heartfelt enthusiam for McCain. It seems like a lot of the McCain supporters on here are more anti-Obama than they are pro-McCain.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:54 PM

172 posts, read 485,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post

golfgod

Wow, 50 a day! That is making a huge difference. For me, its a weekend thing. Sometimes canvassing, sometimes phone banking.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:59 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I did some phone banking for Obama’s campaign yesterday. It was the first time I’ve ever done hard labor, volunteer work for a political candidate and it felt great! They had us calling Obama supporters and Obama leaning supporters in Nevada to encourage them to vote early and to provide them with polling locations. I’ll likely continue phone banking up until Nov. 4. I’ve also donated money to Obama’s campaign, once during the primary and again yesterday for the general election.

There’s a lot of chatter and back and forth in this forum for and against each candidate, but how many other people are backing up their words with action to help their candidate get elected?

Share your stories about volunteering on the campaign trail....
i drove 10 1/2 hours to sta fe, new mexico to walk neighborhoods for Obama for a week. Sta Fe seems very pro-Obama with a few mccain/palin loonies here and there. I think that O's lead in new mexico is holding steady, crossing fingers. I hope to phone bank here at the local san antonio office and call more swing staters. out of hundreds of homes that i went to, only one used the "n" word. she was some kind of foreign european woman who said that her husband was from oklahoma and would not vote for a "niger". but of course she god blessed me for what i was doing. i'm glad that it was only one household that did that. i also encountered a few first time voters for obama that hopefully will make up for the bigoted ones.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:23 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,304 times
I have been phoning the undecided voters in Iowa and have been receiving very positive responses for John McCain. The people I have spoken with have been courteous and polite and seem very engaged in the political process.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:26 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,627,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
I have been phoning the undecided voters in Iowa and have been receiving very positive responses for John McCain. The people I have spoken with have been courteous and polite and seem very engaged in the political process.

Mia - You obviously have not phoned any of the looney Obama supporters in this forum. I'm really glad you received positive responses for McCain. I applaud you for volunteering! Way to go!!!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:29 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,258 times
I volunteered by carving my own face and then said that an Obama supporter did it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections