U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Americans smart enough to place an informed vote?
Yes 1 2.27%
No 7 15.91%
After reading these threads I have my doubts. 28 63.64%
It's a right! Leave it at that! 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:58 PM

27,900 posts, read 32,466,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I would really like to know how many voters can actually tell what the presidents job and duties actually are.(in some form of detail )
He runs apple right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 09:59 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,006,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
He runs apple right?
No Amazon...I mean....Microsoft

Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 PM

2,765 posts, read 6,256,785 times
I'll say many Americans can and will continue to vote in an intelligent manner, but I honestly wouldn't say that the majority will. And it's only getting worse.

Go back just 10 years and I don't honestly believe Nobama is as far in this race as he is, not because he's black like liberals will think I mean, but because people overall just get more and more naive & gullible. And because more people would realize or take the time to realize back then that he offers nothing but hype and hot air. We have really gone downhill as a society, and it almost makes me wonder what other kind of Presidential candidates we'll see in the future, mainly coming from the Democratic Party.

I do have hope that we will see a Third Party President in our lifetime though, and that's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,771,876 times
Apparently not. Sad commentary.

WSU Today Online - Current Article List

Researchers Find Celebrity Endorsements Motivate Younger Voters
Washington State University
October 21, 2008

Celebrity endorsement during presidential campaigns is an effective political strategy to get younger voters to the polls, WSU researchers found. The results indicate that celebrity-based GOTV campaigns produce real benefits, regardless of celebrities' grasp of the specific issues at hand.

Newswise's Celebrity endorsements have emerged as an effective political strategy for engaging younger voters and getting them to the polls, according to a newly published study by researchers at Washington State University.

Featured in the most recent issue of the journal Mass Communications and Society, the study by researchers from the university's Edward R. Murrow College of Communication attempted to gauge the effectiveness of celebrity endorsement campaigns in lowering complacency among young voters and prompting their participation in the political process.

Conducted by Erica Austin, Bruce Pinkleton, Rebecca Van de Vord and Evan Epstein, the research centered on the use of celebrities such as Beyonce Knowles, Christina Aquilera and P. Diddy in "get-out-the-vote" campaigns conducted during the 2004 presidential campaign.

Previous research on voting patterns had shown that many young adults did not possess a strong interest in voting. In fact, turnout among 18-24 year olds historically had been lower than that of any other age group. The reasons for this lack of participation tended to come from apathy and preoccupation with self.

Austin and her colleagues noted that from the mid-1990s to 2000, civic engagement by young people fell to an all time low. However, in more recent years, voter turnout among 18-24 year olds has increased dramatically. Between 2000 and 2004, the turnout in voters within that age group increased 11 percent.

According to a 2004 Pace University Poll, 44% of newly registered voters were between the ages of 18-25, and 43% of these voters said they expected to stay involved in the political process. The WSU researchers found that the dramatic increase in voter participation by young people in 2004 was largely attributable to celebrity get-out-the-vote (GOTV) promotions.

"The results suggest that celebrity involvement in the promotion of civic engagement can have potentially positive effects that have both short-term and long-term benefits for the larger community," Austin and her research team conclude in their study. Appeals based on wishful identification with celebrities can increase young adults' belief that participation can make a difference. These results therefore indicate that celebrity-based GOTV campaigns may produce real benefits to the political process, regardless of celebrities' grasp of the specific issues at hand.

Examples of celebrity GOTV promotions included: "Declare Yourself," a nonprofit campaign initiated in 2004. This campaign consisted of spoken word and music tours on college campuses. Singer, Christina Aguilera, launched "Declare Yourself Yahoo," which was an online voter registration drive.

Hip-Hop Summit Action Network in 2001 was another campaign that sponsored Playstation 2 festivals, spoken word concerts, and was endorsed by Singer/Actress, Beyonce Knowles and Rapper, Dr. Dre. Citizen Change/Vote or Die was founded by P. Diddy Combs. He used the campaign to educate America's youth by making voting appear hot, sexy and relevant to a generation. Since many young people admire and desire to be like these stars, their GOTV promotions really had an impact on the young people of America. Young people tended to believe the values, convictions, and behaviors portrayed by the celebrities as their own.

"Overall, celebrities have the power to motivate civic engagement regardless of their own grasp of the issues at hand," the researchers concluded. "Celebrity's presence and support of political involvement continue to be prominent in our society today, especially during this 2008 Presidential election."

The researchers noted also that celebrity endorsements continued to play a role during the 2008 presidential primaries, in which Oprah Winfrey helped propel Barack Obama's Democratic Party nomination and actor Chuck Norris helped move Mike Huckabee into a second place finish behind Republican candidate John McCain.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:07 PM

27,900 posts, read 32,466,610 times
I voted for barney the dinosaur.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:08 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,771,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I voted for barney the dinosaur.

You should get a cookie.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:13 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,095,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would seriously question the ability of "helelejen" to decide between paper and plastic.
Hey, you need to save your energy for your jihad. Don't let me be a distraction.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:21 PM

1,910 posts, read 5,621,794 times
Looks like obama will win, so there's your answer! So far most of America has been fooled by obama & mainstream media!

Vote McCain/Palin for a safe future!

Old 10-24-2008, 10:28 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,744,866 times
I said it before and I'll say it again. A plague on both their houses. Neither party seems to have a clue on ALL the issues, and both have been less than candid on certain other issues. I sit on my lonely fence and figure I can at least have a clue in my local elections. Dem or Rep, I have voted either way in the past 30-some years. And now I want a new choice.

Disagreeing with both on about half of the issues leaves me torn. I would prefer a Dem this time around, but nothing as liberal as Mr. Obama. And I can't abide the ever-loving governor of my state being that close to a presidency in a republic with as many problems as we have. I certainly cannot live with her evangelistic constituency that Mr. McCain attempted to appeal to.

Pro-choice, anti-gun control, wanting a more balanced Supreme Court (it leans a little too far right at the moment). I am a retired military man, and I'm tired of watching our troops used as pawns to failed diplomacy. I don't want or need a tax cut. I want a lower deficit, but having placed our troops in an oil country for what reasons I can't fathom <oil, maybe?>, I can't forget the promises made and broken to the Kurds twice now.

If we pull out now, we leave a power vacuum so large that Turkey and Russia would eliminate their Kurd threat, Sunni and Shiite, Iranian and Iraqi would clash all over again. We shouldn't have gone in the first place for the bogus reasons stated.

Leaving now would make us into the weasels the rest of the world seems to have labelled us already.

And I REALLY don't like us playing in that sand box!

Old 10-24-2008, 10:30 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,769,817 times
Quote:
Are Americans smart enough to place an informed vote?
I can only speak for the majority, yes they are smart enough to cast an informed vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or