Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Breaking news for our New Jersey voters, who thought they couldn't vote early:

NJ makes it easier to vote early _ and people do -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--absenteevoting1st1024oct24,0,4479593.story - broken link)

Yesterday, Gov. Jon S. Corzine went to Newark's Penn Station to promote absentee voting to the state's residents who work long days in Manhattan and are not sure they'll be able to get to the polls.

This year's presidential election marks the first time voters don't have to give a reason _ such as illness or travel _ when they apply for an absentee ballot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 12:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Breaking news for our New Jersey voters, who thought they couldn't vote early:

NJ makes it easier to vote early _ and people do -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--absenteevoting1st1024oct24,0,4479593.story - broken link)

Yesterday, Gov. Jon S. Corzine went to Newark's Penn Station to promote absentee voting to the state's residents who work long days in Manhattan and are not sure they'll be able to get to the polls.

This year's presidential election marks the first time voters don't have to give a reason _ such as illness or travel _ when they apply for an absentee ballot.
normie - NJ is behind the curve in not having any "early voting". I moved from NJ to NC in 2006 and early voting is a pleasant surprise as well as being a great convienience. We've had the polls open since Oct 16th, and in many places, the lines are long. You would think they were giving away 100 dollar bills to vote. Rest assured they're not! I believe that states that have early voting might show slightly higher proportions of voter participation than those states that don't have it. NJ seriously needs to join the ranks of states that sanction early voting!

Old 10-25-2008, 01:17 PM

543 posts, read 1,455,700 times
Great, more voter fraud....I too am surprised the Garden State didn't get in on this sooner, after all we've a reputation to keep. I hope after this election there's a whole rehaul of our voting system... with some kind of computerized ID check...the FBI should set it up. This election is completely tainted this year.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:13 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times
good to know

Old 10-25-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
Great, more voter fraud.....
Is early voting more fradulent than voting on election day? Or are you assuming all voters are fraudulent, therefore giving more people an opportunity to vote = more voter fraud.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:36 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,691,416 times
For us in NJ it's a win win situation.

If McCain wins, we win.

If Obama wins we still win, because he's taking Corslime with him to the WH.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
For us in NJ it's a win win situation.

If McCain wins, we win.

If Obama wins we still win, because he's taking Corslime with him to the WH.
Haha, I didn't think of it that way. Yeah, I'd rather Corslime be in the WH than here in NJ.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Is early voting more fradulent than voting on election day? Or are you assuming all voters are fraudulent, therefore giving more people an opportunity to vote = more voter fraud.
Well, I'm a little leary of early voting since it's the Obama campaign that wants it and has pushed it so much. They have done everything but pull the lever for many people... I do worry about voter fraud since it's been reported in Ohio and other states.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:56 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,102 times
This isn't the first year I've voted but it is the first year that I have been really getting into the election. I know who I'm voting for and I really feel like I know what they both stand for.

Can someone briefly explain early voting? I didn't realize we had that but I'm finding out now, we in NJ don't do it. What are the benefits? Why do we do it if we are voting in less than 2 weeks? Why not do it alot earlier?

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
Can someone briefly explain early voting? I didn't realize we had that but I'm finding out now, we in NJ don't do it. What are the benefits? Why do we do it if we are voting in less than 2 weeks? Why not do it alot earlier?

Thanks!
IMO, there are two big benefits to early voting:

1. Eases the long lines on election day. Every election lots of people stop to vote and then change their minds because of the lines. Plus, you aren't likely to face a long line at all if you vote early.

2. In the past, many voters claimed they meant to vote but didn't because of an unforeseen problem on elections day. Unexpected work deadlines, car trouble, bad weather,family emergencies, etc. keep many people from actually getting out to vote on election day. So vote early on a day when you know you have the time, and then you will have checked off one more thing on your To Do list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections