Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:07 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,792,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Joe the plumber has to have training and work under a master plumber which he is doing in order to get a license in most states it's 5 years.
WE in the republican party call this getting experience, something Obama doesn't have.
So I'm guessing from the rest of your post you like working hard and paying taxes to support the dead beats. The government running health care, you got to be joking ... please seriously look at everything the government has tired to run and name one that has not turned into a giant bloated waste of money, just one.
Well if Joe the Plumber is in training to be a plumber, but is making over 250k a year, I guess you do call that 'getting experience' in the Republican party, to get rich doing nothing.

Here's one government run agency that has worked well - Social Security, which the Bush was trying frantically to turn over to the same hedge funds and banks that are now begging for a handout.

You think that letting corporations have a 'free hand' in running their businesses, trusting them to be honest and not be greedy works? Are you joking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 10:15 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,069,030 times
Didn't they say Joe the Plumber doesn't have a valid plumbing license? If Corporate America had its way, there wouldn't be a minimum wage or safety standards. There's a reason why wages are going down while the cost of living continues to rise? This is why we are in this financial crisis: people can barely afford to live anymore.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:20 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
If you are bankrupt and losing your house why should you get some sort of special help...I've had plenty of financial struggles that I managed to plan and work my way out of, and others that I planned for and avoided....I like to think others are accountable to do the same on their own.

While I would agree with you 100%, the McBush economic policies believe you have taken on moral hazard and deserve to fail and lose everything because of your decisions. Meanwhile if you're super-rich, and/or a big company with the right connections, then you deserve to get help even after making irresponsible, bad decisions. And of course don't worry regardless you'll have that golden parachute to save you.

That's not an economy that works for the people who matter most in this country, the middle-class. You can spew all the 'only the filthy rich create anything', that's non-sense. The middle-class is what makes us stand apart & above the rest of the world. Not a few pigs getting richer thanks to Republicans, not "geniuses" on wall street perpetuating a new scam to rip off the world every other Republican administration.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:23 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,412,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Well if Joe the Plumber is in training to be a plumber, but is making over 250k a year, I guess you do call that 'getting experience' in the Republican party, to get rich doing nothing.

Here's one government run agency that has worked well - Social Security, which the Bush was trying frantically to turn over to the same hedge funds and banks that are now begging for a handout.

You think that letting corporations have a 'free hand' in running their businesses, trusting them to be honest and not be greedy works? Are you joking?
It's ALWAYS been the Republican mantra to end anything that benefits the working class, and one completely successful example is Social Security, which the neocons would have destroyed if they could.

That marked a real low point in American politics, an idiot reelected in 2004 and then he tours the country trying to destroy one of the last institutions that actually helps Americans

Old 10-26-2008, 10:25 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,334,215 times
Obama is going to buy you poor people groceries for a week.

I wonder what he is doing with all that money from the rich though?

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/18/1965139/Doc1.doc

Old 10-26-2008, 10:27 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,924,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
If you are a CEO who has driven his company into the ditch, why should you get a multi million dollar golden parachute? If you are a Wall Street investment firm that has mishandled people's investments so badly that you have squandered millions of peoples retirement savings, why should you get a billion dollar bail out? If you are some rich person who inheirited millions of dollars and have never worked a day in your life, why should you get a huge tax break while the guy who has worked his butt off all his life doesn't get one?
I dont know who you think you are arguing with here, but none of those were my points. Whats in the past is done and over with, and no way to change it...and just remember BOTH candidates voted FOR the bail out...so think about that when you cast your vote in a few days.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:31 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,924,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
While I would agree with you 100%, the McBush economic policies believe you have taken on moral hazard and deserve to fail and lose everything because of your decisions. Meanwhile if you're super-rich, and/or a big company with the right connections, then you deserve to get help even after making irresponsible, bad decisions. And of course don't worry regardless you'll have that golden parachute to save you.

That's not an economy that works for the people who matter most in this country, the middle-class. You can spew all the 'only the filthy rich create anything', that's non-sense. The middle-class is what makes us stand apart & above the rest of the world. Not a few pigs getting richer thanks to Republicans, not "geniuses" on wall street perpetuating a new scam to rip off the world every other Republican administration.
Please dont forget that "McBush" as you like to call him voted along with "Bushbama" FOR the bail out package that gave wall street a way out. Obama and McCain are two terrible candidates, yet somehow because one has "D" after his name people like to look the other way and ignore the terrible decision he made.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:34 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,526,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
It boils down to this, McCain will continue Bush's 'Welfare for the Rich' policies, and Obama will help the Middle Class, which is in shambles now.
If I'm bankrupt and losing my house, I really don't care what race Obama is, I just want someone who will help, which is why McCain will go down.
I agree!

And,,,matter of fact...It is the middle class who buys the products manufactured by the wealthy people's business...If we don't have money to fuel their business, buy their products,,,then what? The middle class has to be stable for the economy to flourish at all ends. WE are the consumer...We are the people who will be making ends meet to buy Christmas presents...The wealthy are the wealthy and never struggle. They are a minority in this country...

The wealthy business needs the stuggling middle class to buy their stuff. At this point we can not do that...The consumer needs to be finacially stablized so this economy can work.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:39 AM

88,556 posts, read 44,271,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I love the exaggerations on both sides.

Obama certainly favors a progressive tax structure as he thinks under such structures you will end up with a greater distribution of wealth where everyone would be better off.

McCain thinks by reducing taxes to the wealthy you will fuel job growth (as it is the wealthy after all that are supply the capital for new businesses etc) and hence make everyone better off.

The two have similar goal, they merely differ on the best way to achieve it. I really wish people would leave the partisanship at the door and talk about the relative merits of the policy differences
That's a very good point.

McCain's approach encourages industriousness, innovation, and economic growth.

Obama's approach encourages regression towards the mean - exactly the same mentality that has dumbed down our schools for decades, making American students among the dumbest in the industrialized world. Even our best students are at or near the bottom.
U.S. Teens Trail Peers Around World on Math-Science Test - washingtonpost.com

This article by a college prof explains how and why our top and middle students have experienced significant declines in their achievement levels (keep in mind this article was written before the SAT recentered scores in 1995 - SAT scores earned since then are artificially inflated):
The Other Crisis in American Education - 91.11 (http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/educatio/singalf.htm - broken link)

Old 10-26-2008, 11:05 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,938,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Obama will "help" the dead beats that are to lazy to work.
McCain will help them if they go out and get a JOB.

I'm sick and tired of paying for the dead beat, food stamp, welfare, Section 8, tax dollar parasites that infest our country. Get a job!!
Get a job. That's absolutely fantastic advice for our elderly that don't know how they will pay for heat this winter. I'm sure the increasing number of children who live in poverty will agree with you wholeheartedly. Those who aren't as blessed as you, and have intellectual or psychiatric impairments will also amazingly be able to land that good job that allows them to live a life of prosperity and dignity due to your insight. One of the 46,000 who are uninsured and are suffering from a physical illness that has drained them of every last penny will suddenly be healed and able to heed your advice...Get a job? Why don't you try and get a clue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections