Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:36 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
NEWSFLASH:

USA has had a progressive income tax structure (redistribution of income by the government) for over a Century. Rates on the wealthy have even been higher at points in our history.

This is not a new concept.
Yep, and it's totally unfair. And don't get me started on the inheritance/death tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:38 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
Quote:
Great. That's your opinion So why don't you try and win an election maybe?

Until then, the adults are in charge.
You're rude... I'll bet you're a Republican NOT.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:42 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
Well, this isn't exactly honest. If you would have given the homeless guy a percentage of the expected tip - you may have gotten a different response from the waiter.

Well I get $10, $15, $20 and more tips from tables and if they would have asked me to give a percentage back for the homeless guy outside, I might could see it, But telling me? Thats a whole other story. I don't mind giving it to someone who is worthy, but we all know what has happened in the past with welfare......it gets abused! So will Obamas "Share The Wealth" plan.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:44 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,371 times
Do Republicans who keep repeating "Obama wants to spread the wealth!" not understand that McCain wants to "spread the wealth," too? Our progressive tax structure inherently "spreads the wealth" and it's been used in this country for a long time. Did you Republicans never realize this before?

The difference is that McCain wants to take more from the middle-class to spread among the wealthy and corporations!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:44 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I got the same email.

Did you ever wonder why Soviet workers could never compete with any other industrialized nation for the manufacture of quality automobiles?

Hey, I just know that as long as we've got a guaranteed income it doesn't matter whether one person works harder or better than another. We'll all be paid the same.

This example of what happens when you spread the wealth has been going around the web for years:

The Dinner Party or The Income Tax
No I never wondered that at all....since Russia is new to free market capitalism comparing them to us would be absurd.

Sweden is a better example. They have a higher standard of living with less per capita natural resources than the US. And they have high high taxes.
WP

"Total taxation in Sweden, including local taxes, is equal to 59.2 percent of that country's economy, the highest level in the 27-member Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. In contrast, the U.S. total tax burden is 30.6 percent, lowest among the OECD members. Yet unemployment for the past two years in Sweden has been considerably lower than U.S. levels.

Put that in your "survival of the fittest" tax plan and smoke it.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:08 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
No I never wondered that at all....since Russia is new to free market capitalism comparing them to us would be absurd.

Sweden is a better example. They have a higher standard of living with less per capita natural resources than the US. And they have high high taxes.
WP

"Total taxation in Sweden, including local taxes, is equal to 59.2 percent of that country's economy, the highest level in the 27-member Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. In contrast, the U.S. total tax burden is 30.6 percent, lowest among the OECD members. Yet unemployment for the past two years in Sweden has been considerably lower than U.S. levels.

Put that in your "survival of the fittest" tax plan and smoke it.
Comparing Sweden to the United States is like comparing apples to oranges. They have a total population of 9.2 million people compared to over 300 million in the US. They also have socialized medical care which they are taxed heavily to pay for. They have horribly long waiting times for medical procedures because of this also. Of course, they have higher taxes considering all of this, even though they have much less dead weight in their population to support than we do.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:12 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Comparing Sweden to the United States is like comparing apples to oranges. They have a total population of 9.2 million people compared to over 300 million in the US. They also have socialized medical care which they are taxed heavily to pay for. They have horribly long waiting times for medical procedures because of this also. Of course, they have higher taxes considering all of this, even though they have much less dead weight in their population to support than we do.
No Honey, income doesn't have a thing to do with how few Millions your country has...We're not comparing GDP here....LOL...it's average "per capita" income.

And I'm intrigued by your "dead weight" comment.....Pray tell what group of Americans would that be?

Last edited by padcrasher; 10-27-2008 at 01:24 AM..

Old 10-27-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
No Honey, income doesn't have a thing to do with how few Millions your country has...We're not comparing GDP here....LOL...it's average "per capita" income.

And I'm intrigued by your "dead weight" comment.....Pray tell what group of humans would that be?

I am not your honey and you are right we can't compare the two in any way so why did you? "Dead Weight"...those that do not get off their lazy butts and go to work waiting for the rest of us to "spread the wealth", honey...lol.

Last edited by dixiegirl7; 10-27-2008 at 01:35 AM..

Old 10-27-2008, 01:32 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
I can understand folks fears about sharing the wealth, but what I don't understand is why people who are so afraid of this are so eager to share the poverty. They have no moral objections to passing on their debts to their children or grandchildren.

John McCain per his own website and chief adviser plans on expanding the military while cutting spending, there by creating a massive deficit that will at some point have to be paid. Not only by people today but by future generations as our debt is now a multi generational issue.

Talk about the most immoral people I have ever seen in my life

I have a good number of people ask me, why hasn't John McCain pushed the military and defense angle more than he has as it has traditionally been his strongest asset.

Well problem is, John McCain, in the course of bouncing from one position to the next with what appears to be his broken rudder campaign, has lost this argument by even those in the Defense Dept and the Pentagon.

John McCain wants to keep the Bush tax cuts (the ones he voted against first) permanent. Additionally he wants to cut corporate income-tax rate by 10% from 35% to 25% which according to according to the McCain campaign and the Congressional Budget Office, would create a 400 billion dollar a year deficit to an already staggering deficit spending levels. All while claiming he will balanced the budget in his first time. (one of the reasons many on Wall Street now think the cheese slid off his cracker)

Now McCain said he would pay for this by cutting earmark spending, and that is great except for one problem, his campaign only identified 18 billion in earmarks, which is FAR short of the 400 billion short fall.

So the McCain campaign adviser, Doug Holtz-Eakin came out with the idea that, and get this...
Quote:
cuts in defense spending could make up for reducing the corporate tax rate from 35% to 25% and the subsequent shrinkage in federal revenues
So 400 billion, minus 18 billion and the rest is made up by cutting the defense budget! Well I'm sure those in the defense industry just loved to hear that.... NOT.

So while McCain is out there emphasizing he is the security candidate, he wants to increase the size of the military while cutting defense spending at the same time.

In case we haven't noticed, we are going broke, so I for one would love to know how McCain will increase the size of the military while cutting spending at the same time and look America in the eye with a straight face and say this is a moral thing to do.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:35 AM

And in case you haven't noticed, Obama has proposed trillions in new spending with no way of paying for it, unless he raises taxes on more than those making over 250,000. Yet, when asked what he will cut, he comes up with nothing. He cannot pay for all of the new spending he has promised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections