U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:50 PM

3,035 posts, read 4,763,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if the federal goverment only used taxes for those things that we truly needed, you would find out that the federal goverment could make do with about 90% less in taxes.

I doubt that, this country has alot of overhead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 05:50 PM

1,964 posts, read 1,669,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
No one wants to work two or three jobs, but if taxes weren't so high they wouldn't have to.
Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. You honestly think that the only reason so many people in this country have to work two or more jobs, is due to TAXES?

In the area I live, some people have to work two or more jobs because companies get away with paying illegal workers such low wages. Since the companies know that if the legal citizens don't want to work for minimum wage and no benefits, the illegals certainly will. This goes for jobs in industries such as food, hotel, tourism, landscaping, carpentry, etc etc etc...jobs that are obtainable without a college degree, which I'm sure I don't have to remind you that not everyone has. Doesn't have anything to do with taxes.

All across the country right now, plenty of people are having to work two and three low-wage, menial jobs in order to make ends meet, due to the fact that they've lost their former jobs and can't find stable, higher-paying jobs in this economy. Doesn't have anything to do with taxes.

Many people in this country have to live paycheck to paycheck, working two or more jobs, due to the fact that they can't afford to go to school or they can't take the time away from their two or more jobs to attend classes, in order to obtain a degree so that they can eventually get a better, higher-paying job. This is especially true for single parents who, on top of having two or three jobs, have children to take care of. They don't have the option to quit one of their jobs and go to school to get a degree in order to get a better job, because they won't be able to feed their children if they take a pay cut. They're, quite honestly, "stuck." It has nothing to do with taxes.

And the list goes on and on and on...

Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Total B.S. The point is, the workers who actually DO the producing should be able to share in the prosperity - the old Reagan "trickle-down" idea. Of course, they're not going to make as much as the "boss", but they should make enough money to LIVE on. Why would that be such a sin? That's the way it used to be, until the GREED took over these companies, and now instead of paying the workers a decent wage with their profits, they KEEP the money for themselves. Wages have stagnated for decades, and everything else has gone up. What's the point of that? Why is that necessary?

There is no reason for not paying employees well. We can't ALL be CEO's, there are many jobs in the U.S. that have to be done, but that doesn't mean people should be making slave wages. Look at the minimum wage - hasn't changed much in decades. Everyone is important, and every job is important.

I believe in a right to healthcare, food, shelter, etc. Apparently, that's what a lot of people want, because Obama is way ahead in the polls.

What kind of a society do you want to live in? People crawling on their hands and knees to get food and old people living on the street (which I see too much in my city)? I believe in helping each other, and watching out for our fellow citizens. So, sue me.
Agreed.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:05 PM

4,338 posts, read 6,073,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
And in case you haven't noticed, Obama has proposed trillions in new spending with no way of paying for it, unless he raises taxes on more than those making over 250,000. Yet, when asked what he will cut, he comes up with nothing. He cannot pay for all of the new spending he has promised.
McCain's plan will raise the deficit by 5 trillion.

Obama's by 3.5.

The difference is Obama gives you a bigger tax cut and makes your health care more affordable.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:05 PM

On FOX News this morning I heard Obama rant , "we (the government) will provide you with what you can't provide for yourself". And the crowd just roared with excitement. OK, in that case I want the government to provide me with a new 52" HDTV, new Jeep Wrangler, a Rolex, a new condo in a swanky high rise (FULLY furnished). Wheres my check NObama????

Old 10-28-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Sorry I doubt many people need to work three jobs to barely keep a roof over there head. And if they do I can guarantee there are either things they can do about it or huge financial risks or made dumb decisions.
And that would prove your ignorance on such matters...

Old 10-28-2008, 06:12 PM

7,646 posts, read 11,516,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
On FOX News this morning I heard Obama rant , "we (the government) will provide you with what you can't provide for yourself". And the crowd just roared with excitement. OK, in that case I want the government to provide me with a new 52" HDTV, new Jeep Wrangler, a Rolex, a new condo in a swanky high rise (FULLY furnished). Wheres my check NObama????
Seriously? God, I hope he didn't really say that. If he does, and he is garnering over 50% of the vote next week, that speaks volumes to the current mindset in this country.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
First, cut the absolute BULL that a "friend" sent you this...it's a form email.

Second: How do ya like THIS income redistribution...

$700 BILLION of YOUR taxes to failed finanacial institutuions.

70 BILLION to the CEOs of those companies as BONUSES!

Like that better!?????????
So what its a form email, and yes, A FRIEND SENT IT TO ME. What difference does it make? The scenario is a good example of the "share the wealth" idea. I guess you cant comprehend it as that. I do apologize!

Yeah $700 billion went to those institutions, it was VERY risky, but what might have happened had it not been passed? Have you even thought about that?

So which candidate voted NO on that? I'll tell ya............NEITHER!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:17 PM

500 posts, read 600,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Great. That's your opinion So why don't you try and win an election maybe?

Until then, the adults are in charge.

What? Sounds like you ran out of things to say cause that made no sense, so you better stop posting for the night.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Seriously? God, I hope he didn't really say that. If he does, and he is garnering over 50% of the vote next week, that speaks volumes to the current mindset in this country.

Yes he did say it. It was during the rally in PA, between 9:20 - 9:30 am CDT. It made me sick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections