Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:04 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,614,361 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine sent me this in an email earlier and I thought I would share it with you. It hit me personally because I am a server in a restaurant. What are your thoughts?

Redistribute the Wealth

Today on my way to lunch I passed a homeless guy with a sign that read "Vote Obama, I need the money." I laughed.

Once in the restaurant my server had on a "Obama 08" tie, again I laughed as he had given away his political preference -- just imagine the coincidence.

When the bill came I decided not to tip the server and explained to him that I was exploring the Obama redistribution of wealth concept. He stood there in disbelief while I told him that I was going to redistribute his tip to someone who I deemed more in need--the homeless guy outside. The server angrily stormed from my sight.

I went outside, gave the homeless guy $10 and told him to thank the server inside as I've decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy was grateful.

At the end of my rather unscientific redistribution experiment I realized the homeless guy was grateful for the money he did not earn, but the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn even though the actual recipient needed the money more.

I guess redistribution of wealth is an easier thing to swallow in concept than in practical application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,400,216 times
great post.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:22 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,950,463 times
NEWSFLASH:

USA has had a progressive income tax structure (redistribution of income by the government) for over a Century. Rates on the wealthy have even been higher at points in our history.

This is not a new concept.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:23 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,141,969 times
Great post, thanks.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
NEWSFLASH:

USA has had a progressive income tax structure (redistribution of income by the government) for over a Century. Rates on the wealthy have even been higher at points in our history.

This is not a new concept.

We have taxes so we can pay for our infrastructure, military, and other stuff this country NEEDS. We DON'T need to distribute it to those to damn lazy to work for it.
What does Obama plan to do with our aging roads and bridges, national parks, keeping our military "the best", and too many other things to list? Probably nothing! Mark my words, every "promise" he is making will be BROKEN! At least McCain is somewhat realistic!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
We have taxes so we can pay for our infrastructure, military, and other stuff this country NEEDS. We DON'T need to distribute it to those to damn lazy to work for it.

Great. That's your opinion So why don't you try and win an election maybe?

Until then, the adults are in charge.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 AM

Oh look here!..... I don't know why I bother.

Facts don't do much for those stupid enough to argue for lower rates for ultra-wealthy Americans. ( And we don't even pay our National bills!)

Top US Marginal Income Tax Rates, 1913--2003 (TruthAndPolitics.org)

Old 10-27-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Great. That's your opinion So why don't you try and win an election maybe?

Until then, the adults are in charge.

HUH? That makes no sense at all.....Kind of like an Obama speech!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:35 AM

539 posts, read 1,801,641 times
Well, this isn't exactly honest. If you would have given the homeless guy a percentage of the expected tip - you may have gotten a different response from the waiter.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:35 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,404,963 times
I got the same email.

Did you ever wonder why Soviet workers could never compete with any other industrialized nation for the manufacture of quality automobiles?

Hey, I just know that as long as we've got a guaranteed income it doesn't matter whether one person works harder or better than another. We'll all be paid the same.

This example of what happens when you spread the wealth has been going around the web for years:

The Dinner Party or The Income Tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections