Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:45 AM

852 posts, read 1,357,412 times

Advertisements

I am tired of people acting like Obama or McCain being elected POTUS will cause the end of the world. I know it's popular to say that this is the most important election of our lifetime but is it really? No. Obama is not a Marxist and while he's pretty liberal, his stands on the issues aren't that different than Clinton's. My guess is that if she had won, most of the argument against her would be the same. My guess is also that if another Republican had been nominated, the agurment would be the same and the Dems would tie them to George Bush. These are cookie cutter arguments and while I have a preference in this election season, neither will cause the end of Western Civilization. Each will move towards the middle once in office. I can't wait until all of the hatred ends and people move on to their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 06:46 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,581,684 times
an Obama victory on November 4th is like being a kid on Christmas day

Old 10-27-2008, 06:49 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
you really can't stake that much on a politician can you? I can't wait for this election to be over either. that way 50% of the country can be angry, and 50% can be temporarily euphoric. after the euphoria wears out and we all realize that "change" didn't mean what they thought it did, we will be back to normal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post

Old 10-27-2008, 06:56 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,775 times
Those of us who have a clue about how government works are not execting either dramatic nor immediate changes! What we are expecting, is a move towards a government that is accountable, that works for the majority of Americans rather than for the select few, and that balances the needs of every segment of society. We KNOW it will take time to see the results of these efforts, we KNOW that the both the extreme right and the extreme left of each party will be "unhappy" about some things, but we also know that given time, the great majority of Americans will be very grateful that President Obama is moving in a direction that will repair our nation both internally, and on the world stage!

Old 10-27-2008, 07:01 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
I am tired of people acting like Obama or McCain being elected POTUS will cause the end of the world. I know it's popular to say that this is the most important election of our lifetime but is it really? No. Obama is not a Marxist and while he's pretty liberal, his stands on the issues aren't that different than Clinton's. My guess is that if she had won, most of the argument against her would be the same. My guess is also that if another Republican had been nominated, the agurment would be the same and the Dems would tie them to George Bush. These are cookie cutter arguments and while I have a preference in this election season, neither will cause the end of Western Civilization. Each will move towards the middle once in office. I can't wait until all of the hatred ends and people move on to their lives.
Excellent post! I totally agree, people on both sides have gotten carried away with the meaning of it all. It's historic, yes, but come on now... it's just an election. It's not the end of the world and it's not the answer to all our problems, either.

Yesterday I went to the park and while I was waiting for the kids to come back from kayaking I struck up a conversation with a young couple. They had just come from church, convinced by something they heard there that Russia was "desparate to steal all of America's corn crop" and would be attacking imminently after the election. And we are all about to lose our homes and face starvation because the Russians will have our corn and we're heading into a massive depression for at least 20 years. All because of an election.

Oh brother! Talk about people getting carried away...

Old 10-27-2008, 07:02 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
I love how people think that the President just comes into office and starts implementing bills, laws and changes to the government as if a vote doesn't need to be made on every swinging thing that goes on.

Obama or McCain cannot just show up on day one and say....taxes are higher, defense budget is cut and the rich get richer. It's a process....one that can sometimes take longer than a President is in office. That's why taking this job actually sucks because you spend the first few years with someone else's policies and mistakes but take the blame regardless of what is going on.

Congress and the Senate are the ones to blame for all of our issues. They are the ones voting on these ridiculous policies, loading them with pork to entice others to vote for it and living like fat cats in DC while we the people suffer. Instead of only working part of the year and loading up bills with pork to a) get others to vote for their bill and b) make their jobs easier they should have to vote on each individual policy based on that policies merit. That's it. Will it be more difficult? Yes but if they are making the scratch they are making now and they are supposed to represent US then they should do it with every single policy.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:07 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Those of us who have a clue about how government works are not execting either dramatic nor immediate changes! What we are expecting, is a move towards a government that is accountable, that works for the majority of Americans rather than for the select few, and that balances the needs of every segment of society. We KNOW it will take time to see the results of these efforts, we KNOW that the both the extreme right and the extreme left of each party will be "unhappy" about some things, but we also know that given time, the great majority of Americans will be very grateful that President Obama is moving in a direction that will repair our nation both internally, and on the world stage!
I can't disagree with that.

Ken

Old 10-27-2008, 07:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
How's that? Because all the gimmies he's been "promising"? I'm afraid that just like that "kid on christmas day" y'all are going to be disappointed when you open those wonderful "presents" you're expecting and been promised only to find out they're the same old socks and t-shirts you always get from grandma!
Why's that? Grandma's on a stiff budget just like the rest of the family and can't afford the shiny new tax cut,house,free health care etc. In the package though she did place a note saying "maybe next year when things are better"...

Old 10-27-2008, 07:39 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
How's that? Because all the gimmies he's been "promising"? I'm afraid that just like that "kid on christmas day" y'all are going to be disappointed when you open those wonderful "presents" you're expecting and been promised only to find out they're the same old socks and t-shirts you always get from grandma!
Why's that? Grandma's on a stiff budget just like the rest of the family and can't afford the shiny new tax cut,house,free health care etc. In the package though she did place a note saying "maybe next year when things are better"...
The "present" we are all looking forward to is the eviction of the most incompetent Administration in recent history - and the reversal of that Presidents mis-guided policies.

That alone, will make it "worth the price of admission".

Ken

Old 10-27-2008, 07:43 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I can't disagree with that.

Ken
Likewise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections