Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 PM

52,221 posts, read 33,927,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Fear and hate will be on the menu today...also tomorrow.
air America is still around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 10:09 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,808,247 times
I'm beginning to feel better- Rachel Maddow is on.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:10 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,492,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Much of the Republican base is literally seething with hate. You could say they're a product of hate radio or hate radio is just giving them what they want to hear. I would pity them but I dislike them too much.
I am sure they all dislike the bigoted and angry people like youself from Lewis County Washington as well. I have read alot of your posts and while you accuse others of being hateful, I can't seem to find one post by you that isn't filled with anger, bigoted remarks and hate period. Pot meet kettle

Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,008,427 times
Right wing radio is brilliant. I know there are books on the development of it since the 90s/Clinton era but this group has been around forever - in the 20s there was hate-monger radio for the very same folks. I do want to learn more about it because it's genius. I think Rush Limbaugh's an entertainment genius, too.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,896,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I think I understand why conservatives tend to be such miserable and judgemental people.

Today I was in the car for over 7 hours and decided to listen specifically to conservative talk radio for the entire trip.

WHY? Just to see what I am missing. Trying to get into the heads of the McCain voters to see what they find so attractive about that ticket. Just to make certain I understand both sides of this very important election.

I listened to POTUS on XM, Glenn Beck, NPR, and several local talk radio shows. When a show switched from conservative to something else, I changed the station and found other shows. One show was hosted by some old lady in Washington- she sounded like she was about 80 years old and didn't seem to be all there. But she was a pistol.

The shows are very similar to McCain's speeches. All negative, snipey, and miserable. Most of them harped on the same points. I must have heard the Biden/Barbara West interview about 15 times. They really enjoyed that and for the life of me, I couldn't understand why- Biden might not have liked the questions and made that clear, but he did answer them completely. What's the big deal then?

They argued about the value of Palin on the ticket- they argued about how the RNC feels about her. They argued about who really selected her. They argued about the wisdom of the money spent on her clothes and stylists.

I found nothing attractive about the McCain ticket and nothing that made me think my vote for Obama might be a mistake. If anything, I am more afraid of a McCain/Palin administration. They can't even have rational discussions with each other, let alone accept differing viewpoints from members of their own party.

When I finally reached my destination I was on the verge of an anxiety attack. At least I think it was an anxiety attack- I've never had one before but I felt the walls of the car closing in on me and my ears were ringing and my head was pounding.

So to all the conservatives who choose to subject themselves to that torture on a daily basis, try listening to some music. You might find that your dispositons improve and that the world doesn't seem to be such a dark place.
I can tell you are voting on your emotions, just like new generations of Americans. If you want to vote on substance, then you have to look at Obama's voting record from before he became a senator in Congres, to today. You also have to look at McCain's voting record. That's only the starting point. I imagine that you are too young to realize what the terms "wealth distribution" means, but a lot of older people (like me) know exactly what it means. When I was a student back in the early '60s, I read a lot about wealth distributions (redistribution) and such, as well at the communist manifesto. I don't remember any of that stuff anymore, but clearly understand it.

Other than that, you should listen to Savage instead. He is not a Republican, nor a Democrat. I listen to Rush, Savage, Laura I., and also to music in my iPod. I do this while at work. Hardly watch any TV these days, except for movies on a home theatre set-up. Something else that you may want to try is some camping and hunting. Grizzly bear hunting is extremely exhilarating, specially if the bear runs toward you after the shot. If you don't hunt, some heavy camping and the enjoying of the outdoors, taking photos, etc., can be real nice

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-27-2008 at 10:33 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 PM

355 posts, read 552,776 times
About the third time I was told I was going to hell because I didn't go to that persons church I quit having anything to do with them and their party. I'm not convenced that their heaven would be different than hell if they are in it. I do agree with a lot of fiscal consertive positions, but I will not tolerate the hate.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,407,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
Well, let's see Chris Matthews, Tom Brokaw and Katie Couric, or conservative talk radio. Hmmm, tough decision but, I think I'll go with Limbaugh, Hannity and Levin. Thanks for trying to understand us, sorry about the anxiety attack, the truth hurts sometimes.

Say WHAT? Couric, Matthews and Brokaw? I can see talk radio is doing its job, keeping their listeners clueless.

I would say if you got together all the listeners of these right wing morons like Insanity, Limpballs, Glenn Beck and all the other shriekers, and conducted an I.Q. test of those who listened to them, you'd see that these miserable human beings score well below the national average in I.Q., and remember, this is the U.S. we are talking about, where the media purposefully keeps Americans uninformed.

When it comes to the dumbing down of America, right wing radio listeners are the tip of the spear.

Props to you for enduring 7 hellish hours of that crap, I have tried it before and its way too depressing for me, to say nothing of feeling my brain begin to liquefy as drool begins to roll off my chin.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:22 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,407,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You should listen to Savage instead. He is not a Republican, nor a Democrat.
Savage, the one who said 95% of autistic children are just brats who need spanked.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:25 PM

574 posts, read 1,205,188 times
I listen to conservative talk radio for at least a few minutes every day. I find it humorous to hear these people unravel on the air. They really sound like they are going to take to underground bunkers if Obama gets elected (or maybe they are already broadcasting from one?).

They still probably don't even see that sitting around ranting about what the other guy is going to do kept them from ever focusing on what they were going to do and ruined any chance they had of winning. Now, at sprint time, all we hear about is Obama. They say their candidate's opponent's name twice as much as their own candidate's. This is how you lost the race, but it's how you're going to continue right down to the wire? I'm no strategist, but it explains why they have so much infighting.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,492,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Savage, the one who said 95% of autistic children are just brats who need spanked.
I think you picked up the wrong information there. Since I listen to that show every night and never heard him say anything like that, I think I can confirm that better than some bed wetting liberal that just wants him to be banned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections