Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 12:19 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberta View Post
Probably because of large class sizes, and maybe he didn't stand out in anyway, as exceptional, but blended in with the others. People have a tendency to remember the students who ran for office--who were voted "best of", who participated in many activities, ect, When I look at my old yr books, I see many class mates I don't remember, until I see their photos.
Don't accept people don't remember him just because a Rightie says so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 12:21 PM

Old friends recall Obama's college years - The Associated Press - Politico.com
There was a time before Obama wore tailored suits — when his wardrobe consisted of $5 military-surplus khakis and used leather jackets, and he walked the streets of Manhattan for lack of bus fare. It was a time well before the political arena beckoned, when his friends thought he might become a writer or a lawyer, but certainly not the first black man with a real chance to become president of the United States

Does anyone google anymore?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:24 PM

Occidental recalls 'Barry' Obama - Los Angeles Times
Despite the somewhat awkward facts that Obama transferred from Occidental and that his official website biography doesn’t even mention the campus, old friends and former teachers at the well-regarded 120-year-old school proudly described him as a serious scholar and a good athlete who helped the JV Tigers basketball team to an undefeated season

Must be the Rightwing Kooks don't remember him from their circle parties.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:27 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
Well, I'm not at all convinced that Obama attended Columbia. A Columbia undergraduate grad by the name of Wayne Allyn Root was, like Obama, a political science major at Columbia who also graduated in 1983. Root says that he did not know Obama, and he doesn't know a single person at Columbia that knows him, but they all remember Root. Root says he doesn't have a single classmate who ever knew Obama at Columbia. Nobody recalls him. Root says that he [also] was "Class of '83 Political Science, Pre-law" and you don't get more exact than that. At the class reunion (20th reunion) five years ago Root was asked to be the speaker of the class. No one ever heard of Barack Obama! And according to Root Obama's photograph does not appear in the school's yearbook. Is that not strange? I find it very strange...
Did any of you second guessing Obama's proven records graduate from anywhere? I'd take proof of highschool. Yearbook pic?

Old 11-23-2008, 08:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
No, they expect us to do all the work.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:22 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, for Pete's sake. I keep up with no one, absolutely no one, from college. I keep up with some of my old high school friends, that's it. When I run for president, you'll be saying that about me.

Is anyone from the Naval Academy stepping up and saying "I was John McCain's roommate"? What about Sarah's good friends from the 5 colleges she attended. I don't think we've heard from any of them, either.
I think people are trying to apply high school notions with college. For those of you that keep saying how odd this is, I have to surmise, this is the case for most of you. I had very close friends in highschool and everyone practically knew me. To this day, I run into people who remember me from highschool even though I now live thousands of miles away. In college, I had less than a handful of true friends. I barely had the time with work and classes. By graduate school (another college), I was going to school at night part-time and had no desire to build friendships. I had family, long-term friends from highschool, co-workers. These folks were just classmates who could help me in my pursuit of an A on group assignments or not. I'd say that was the case for a lot of us and I was an RA and was in a couple of greek organizations in college. BTW, both universities were large 25,000 or more students.

Last edited by prim2007; 11-24-2008 at 01:01 PM..

Old 11-25-2008, 05:21 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
I think people are trying to apply high school notions with college. For those of you that keep saying how odd this is, I have to surmise, this is the case for most of you. I had very close friends in highschool and everyone practically knew me. To this day, I run into people who remember me from highschool even though I now live thousands of miles away. In college, I had less than a handful of true friends. I barely had the time with work and classes. By graduate school (another college), I was going to school at night part-time and had no desire to build friendships. I had family, long-term friends from highschool, co-workers. These folks were just classmates who could help me in my pursuit of an A on group assignments or not. I'd say that was the case for a lot of us and I was an RA and was in a couple of greek organizations in college. BTW, both universities were large 25,000 or more students.
That was almost identical to my experience. Both my bachelor's and master's degrees were from very large universities. Things like year book pictures (I was never in one) were not important to me. I never was in a year book. I never bought a class ring. I worked all the time, went to class, and spent time doing research and writing papers. I doubt if a person who wanted to could find five people who remember me.

Also, I have never attended a college class reunion. Why would I? I know no one. The only thing that really indicates whether a person attended a university is his or her transcript. I agree that some of the posters on here must not have gone to college. They are thinking of high school culture, not college culture, which is quite different for many people.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:27 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times
JamesAbilene you hit the nail on the head. I'm sure many people in the dorm I lived in in my freshman year would remember me, but definitely no one would know me by name in my transfer school. At the time I transferred I was working and going to school full-time and was on a commuter campus in a city. So nope, I dont remember anyone's name and I'd be very shocked if someone remembered mine. It depends on which type of school you go to, whether or not you're in a dorm, and if you're working as well.

These people on here who accused our president-elect of not having graduated from Columbia are ridiculous and insulting--not to mention highly paranoid and nutty (wingnutty that is). Ah well, they lost, their lies didn't work and, if anything, smears like this are precisely what pushed our man Obama over the top. hehe THanks wingnuts!

Old 07-29-2009, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Why does no one attending Columbia University at the time Obama claims he attended the school know or even remember Obama?
Because he attended there in a burqa, you fool. Evbody noze thet.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:33 PM

539 posts, read 700,128 times
Obama Geography

"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go."
"Eau Claire [Wisconsin] is a big important state."
"We only have a certain number [Arabic translators] of them and if they are all in Iraq, then it's harder for us to use them in Afghanistan," Obama said. (Afghanistan is not an Arabic-speaking country.)
"[i]t was also interesting to see that political interaction in Europe is not that different from the United States Senate. There's a lot of -- I don't know what the term is in Austrian, wheeling and dealing." (Confusing German for "Austrian", a language which does not exist.)
Obama History
"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today -- our sense of patriotism is particularly strong. " (He sees dead people?)
"I had a uncle who was one of the, who was part of the first American troops to go into Auschwitz and liberate the concentration camps...." (Stalin's army liberated Auschwitz, and he should use "an" before a word which begins with a vowel, a grammatical error he makes often .)
"I'm always worried about using the word 'victory,' because, you know, it invokes this notion of Emperor Hirohito coming down and signing a surrender to MacArthur...." (Hirohito never attended the surrender ceremony and you don't "sign a surrender".)
Obama Economics
"... profit and earnings ratio." (The correct term is the Price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio. Profit and earnings ratio is nonsensical.)
"The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system," Obama said in remarks after a health care roundtable with physicians, nurses and health care providers. [emphasis added]
"Paying for what you spend is basic common sense."
"Think about that," he said, "California producing jobs, their economy keeping pace with the rest of the country and yet they've been able to maintain their energy usage in a much lower level than the rest of the country."
Obama Spoken Language

"The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. But she is a typical white person. If she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know. . .there's a reaction in her that don't [emphasis supplied] go away and it comes out in the wrong way."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections