Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post
A real story

Obama. Obama. Obama. Like some second coming of Christ.

On my way to lunch at Doe's Restaurant, I passed one of the homeless guys that hang out down there with a cardboard sign written in black marker that read: "Vote Obama - I need the money."

Then once inside Doe's, my waiter had on a "Obama 08" t-shirt on.

So when the bill came, I decided not to tip the waiter and explained to him while he had given me exceptional service, that his tee shirt made me feel he obviously believes in Senator Obama's plan to redistribute the wealth. I told him I was going to redistribute his tip to someone that I deemed more in need--the homeless guy standing outside the door. He stood there in disbelief and angrily stormed away.

I went outside, gave the homeless guy $3 and told him to thank the waiter inside, as I had decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy looked at me in disbelief but seemed grateful.

As I got in my car, I realized this rather un-scientific redistribution experiment had left the homeless guy quite happy for the money he did not earn, but the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn.

Well, I guess this redistribution of wealth is going to take a while to catch on, with those doing the work.

Do the right thing - Vote McCain-Palin 2008!
A real story that you got in your spam box?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 12:56 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
So because you don't like someone or their posting they should be banned?
I must have missed this when you first responded but I'm glad it got bumped up so I can explain to you why the poster of the OP should be banned. The internet isn't free. CD has to pay for bandwidth, and they can choose to do so as they please.

Personally, when I see a SPAM email being posted as truth (which seems to happen over and over again on this site) I will search for the source and I will call out that the OP if it is a c&p job as this was. This is against the TOS (see cross-posting, spamming rules) so it should be called out.

Several of the current threads can be copied into google and will come up as spam. I'm pretty much done here since intelligent conversation has been lost to tabloid spam. This place is almost entirely a troll baiting forum at this point, be it the NBCitizenship or now the blago incident, and nothing has evidence. I have better things to do with my time then argue with tin-foilers.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
I must have missed this when you first responded but I'm glad it got bumped up so I can explain to you why the poster of the OP should be banned. The internet isn't free. CD has to pay for bandwidth, and they can choose to do so as they please.

Personally, when I see a SPAM email being posted as truth (which seems to happen over and over again on this site) I will search for the source and I will call out that the OP if it is a c&p job as this was. This is against the TOS (see cross-posting, spamming rules) so it should be called out.

Several of the current threads can be copied into google and will come up as spam. I'm pretty much done here since intelligent conversation has been lost to tabloid spam. This place is almost entirely a troll baiting forum at this point, be it the NBCitizenship or now the blago incident, and nothing has evidence. I have better things to do with my time then argue with tin-foilers.
Is that where they get the expression "Foiled again!" ?

Seriously, the OP poster hasn't been around much since OBAMA WON!

Old 12-11-2008, 03:50 AM

998 posts, read 1,513,704 times
Quote:

This is why I have backed way off on my reading and participation here.

I find myself becoming vituperative because I get so frustrated with some of these knuckleheads, and that's just not a good use of time.

The C-D mods are all over the individual state forums, people can't even strongly disagree without being nannied, but for some reason, in here, they allow this endless cycle of garbage from the same few posters, some of whom run multiple accounts.

It's disconcerting, to say the least.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:29 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
I say, who cares if the OP copied that from somewhere. It's still a story that they wanted told, their personal experience or not.

They should not be bashed for posting their own view, whether it be an original view or not. They adopted it.

I don't see why anyone that doesn't agree with Obama is bashed on here for being a "troll" and then having posts stating that they shouldn't be allowed to post anymore.

I don't agree with a lot of things I read, but we do STILL have freedom of speech, expression, etc. In relation to this freedom is also freedom of one's opinion.

How many times do we as Americans take stories from books, fables, religious teachings, etc. and repeat them as a lesson? There's nothing wrong with that.

Everyone needs to stop bashing people whose ideas differ from their own. Talk about anti-American.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:38 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post

Everyone needs to stop bashing people whose ideas differ from their own. Talk about anti-American.
Actually, it's very American to do that. I don't see how it is unamerican, but hten again, that's off-topic.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:28 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
I'm dying to know where all of you ticked off tax payers have been for the last 95 years since the inception of the individual income tax was initiated since you have been redistributing the wealth for that long. Where do you suppose the money give to "faith based initiatives" came from Santa Clause? Where do you think money for the elderly, the infirmed, the handicapped come from, the Tooth Fairy? Where does the money for Title I educational funding for special needs, school lunch programs come from, the Easter Bunny?

For the billionth time, the Earned Income Tax Credit, which provides a refund to the working poor paid for by other tax payers who earn higher incomes and was proposed by Richard Nixon, enacted by Gerald Ford and expanded by Ronald Reagan, was established for he specific purpose of "redistributing the wealth" from higher income workers to those who earn less. So, where has been the hew and cry about this program that has been in force for more than 30 years???

Either you are just plain willfully stupid, or the most disingenuous people on the planet.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:51 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Actually, it's very American to do that. I don't see how it is unamerican, but hten again, that's off-topic.

Maybe off topic, but so are a lot of other posts on this thread.

To disagree is "very American" and the fact that you can is what makes this country. To out and out bash because someone's thoughts are different than yours is anti-American.

Americans should not do that. Imagine saying something derrogatory to someone because they came out and told you they were gay. No difference.

Because this OP adopted an attitude from somewhere doesn't entitle everyone to call him/her names and say they are wrong. They're not, they just have a different point of view.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:56 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,185 times
Quote:

You nailed the OP - he's nothing but a full-time TROLL - just seems to post inflammatory stuff that he copied from some other site in order to anger people... He gets satisfaction from it...

Best thing to do is use the Ignore List feature of CD...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections