Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 11:49 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
So many mentally unbalanced people on this thread! It's a sign, for God's sake. Anyone adult who wires up a $5 sign in the first place is not right in the head.
I have a 5 year old daughter who runs into yards to look at a cool leaf or a lizard, or whatever. It would be funny if she touched some one's yard sign and received an electric shock? That is really messed up thinking.

Tonight is mischief night, remember. Load your firearms.
It is not about the money. It is about people touching/taking things that DO NOT belong to them. Adult or child it is wrong and should not written off as "kids will be kids".

This kid was NOT 5 and should have by that age should have been taught NOT to touch stuff that does NOT belong to him. My 6 year old would never run on anyone's lawn and touch what is not his, he knows better and parents should not make excuses when their kids do something wrong. That is what is messed up thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 11:50 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthoughts View Post
What is up with that word........ Indoctrinate
are you telling me you never participated is any kind of hazing in school, as a kid, your WHOLE life?? Did you shoe polish someone's car??

Man you must be a sally kern fan. 'indoctrinate' ... dumb dumb dumb
Why indeed.

I suppose it comes from my upbringing. My parents are both moderate liberals, 2 votes for Obama. As a child, when I began to learn about politics and voting, they did not tell me what to think, they did not push their views upon me, rather, they gave me the tools to make choices for myself. They certainly didn't promote criminal acts.

It was explained to me the importance of having more than one party, and that neither side are evil or always in the wrong. I recall the first election I was old enough to understand what was going on, they didn't tell me Reagan was evil, they said we are voting for Mondale because he best represents what we stand for, if you'd like to know why, feel free to ask, if you want info on both sides, we can go through the voter pamphlet together, we can watch the debates together and discuss it rationally. To attempt to ingrain your child with your political views denies them the chance to learn to make decisions, it denies them the chance to learn how to make those decisions. It is extremely selfish, and, as demonstrated, can put them in harms way.

Kids are being told that trespassing, vandalism and theft are OK. The Republican party is not the victim of these acts, the homeowner, who is merely exercising his first amendment right is the victim. He has a right to put that sign in his yard according to the first amendment, he is also allowed to defend that right.

That is why I used the word indoctrinate.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Songgirl thank you!! Kids touch stuff, and that man isnt right in the head and neither are the people thinking this was funny or the right thing to do.

My child walks to and from school 5 days a week and never runs on anyone's lawn to touch stuff that is not his, hell I taught him not even to go on peoples grass and he is only 6. GMAB parents stop making excuses when your kids are bad you are not doing them any favors.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:53 AM

973 posts, read 2,229,360 times
Quote:
So many mentally unbalanced people on this thread! It's a sign, for God's sake. Anyone adult who wires up a $5 sign in the first place is not right in the head.
I have a 5 year old daughter who runs into yards to look at a cool leaf or a lizard, or whatever. It would be funny if she touched some one's yard sign and received an electric shock? That is really messed up thinking.

It's a "funnybone" type buzz.. not an electric SHOCK. It's not like the kid lost a finger or drowned in a man's pool. How about some parental respect by teaching your kid not to wander onto property that you don't have permission to be on? You may not agree with that statement, because it errs on the side of respect for one's property rather than the demand that everything is mine until I'm told it isn't.

As for firearms, we're all going to go load up our fully automatic AK47's Obama scares everyone into thinking we all have.. we're going to shoot first and ask questions later, because none of us care about the "rights" of kids.

(And I probably have to spell out the sarcasm in my last paragraph.. because the CD political thread never ceases stunning me with ignorance.)

Old 10-30-2008, 11:54 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,534 times
you know... this is actually one I agree with on both sides. I'm tired of people vandalizing other folks' signs... in my neck of the woods, 95% of the signs are Obama/Biden, but I don't think anyone has the right to trash or remove a McCain/Palin sign (or 3rd party) either.

I say shock 'em... not to be confused with 'shocker' mind you.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:54 AM

511 posts, read 658,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
It is not about the money. It is about people touching/taking things that DO NOT belong to them. Adult or child it is wrong and should not written off as "kids will be kids".

This kid was NOT 5 and should have by that age should have been taught NOT to touch stuff that does NOT belong to him. My 6 year old would never run on anyone's lawn and touch what is not his, he knows better and parents should not make excuses when their kids do something wrong. That is what is messed up thinking.
You have never been around many kids. Some kids are hyperactive and want to touch those signs or grab a leaf as mentioned. What kind of world do we live in that condones hurting an INNOCENT child for touching paper or a leaf. WOW.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:56 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:

You should keep you kid off of other peoples property. You don't know if they have a dog who might run out and defend the property, or if they have sprayed chemicals on their yard or if they just don't want people walking on their yard. It's not your property. Why is this so hard to understand?

Old 10-30-2008, 11:58 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
You have never been around many kids. Some kids are hyperactive and want to touch those signs or grab a leaf as mentioned. What kind of world do we live in that condones hurting an INNOCENT child for touching paper or a leaf. WOW.
It's still the responsibility of the parents to teach kids not to mess with stuff that doesn't belong to them. Put them in a wagon or use one of those kid leashes to keep them from wandering off. There is no excuse.

The kid in the article isn't innocent. He was somewhere he didn't belong or he wouldn't have gotten zapped.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:00 PM

973 posts, read 2,229,360 times
Quote:
Touch a paper or leaf on property you have a right to walk on. The fact that you don't seem to understand this concept makes perfect sense wtih where our direction is headed with regards to a lack of personal responsibility. This kid wasn't killed, amputated, maimed, or traumatized. A bee sting is far worse than a pet electric fence. It was a lesson learned - nothing more.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Wrong I have two boys, very active boys. One 4 and one 6 so I know VERY well. The kids was NOT innocent, he was taking something that DID NOT belong to him and his father should have punished him and not made an excuse for him. My children when we go to someones house or the store or walking to school do NOT touch stuff unless they ask. It is nothing but a stupid parent making an excuse for their child's bad behavior and that is NEVER good for the child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections