Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 01:27 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by varangian View Post
It depends on the municipality.

Where I live the strip between the sidewalk and the street, "boulevards" ARE considered easements. Yet the suburb my mom lives in don't consider them as such.

Some places call have "greenways" as well.

Let's not assume property code is the same everywhere.
An easement is not the same thing as owning that property. There are access easements where I bought land to provide access. That's all a person has a right to use them for, access. Nothing else. Easements are always for a specific purpose(s) and may only be used for those specific reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 01:29 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
LOL...Sorry that cracks me up. It's really not funny though. That poor kid. Granted, he didn't have a right to try and steal the sign, but these people actually took the time to make the sign "shockable"? L A M E--get a life.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:31 PM

703 posts, read 855,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
An easement is not the same thing as owning that property. There are access easements where I bought land to provide access. That's all a person has a right to use them for, access. Nothing else. Easements are always for a specific purpose(s) and may only be used for those specific reasons.
I'm fully aware of this and I am unsure what this has to do with my point.

I never touched the subject of ownership or usage. I was just pointing out that different municipalities treat the street's edge differently.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Chill out people. The sign didn't cause any permanent or even temporary damage. If it causes pscyhological damage, the kid is too weak minded to ever make something out of himself (and that's the parents' fault). If the sign was booby trapped with explosives, then I might think differently.

The owner's signs have been taken repeatedly, and he put a stop to it. Even though I don't endorse either lesser in this campaign, I am in full support of this person and would contribute immediately to their defense fund if they were ever sued.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:35 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
It depends on the municipality.

Where I live the strip between the sidewalk and the street, "boulevards" ARE considered easements. Yet the suburb my mom lives in don't consider them as such.

Some places call have "greenways" as well.

Let's not assume property code is the same everywhere.

It's the same here.
But it still belongs to the property owner, it just gives rights to public and private utilities to run their lines there.

The easement at my home is in the back not in the front. There is NO easement in the front of my home. All of the utilities and sewers are under ground at the back of my property.

In all three cases I still own the property they are on.

I have surveys on all three properties that show that the easements are on my property.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I'm fully aware of this and I am unsure what this has to do with my point.

I never touched the subject of ownership or usage. I was just pointing out that different municipalities treat the street's edge differently.
The point is the easement may give the public the right to walk through and possibly the city to run utilities through, but that's likely it. It doesn't give anyone the right to tamper with the property there in any way. Just to pass through.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
and the other points was the prissy people in this thread saying no one should touch a sign, well if you stick it by the curb duhh it could be touched and within someone's right to do it too
You're absolutely wrong on that as far as the law is concerned.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:50 PM

511 posts, read 658,386 times
Quote:
The point is the easement may give the public the right to walk through and possibly the city to run utilities through, but that's likely it. It doesn't give anyone the right to tamper with the property there in any way. Just to pass through.
we got to talking about easement and fences. You cant rig a sign with a dog 'fence' within the easment. it would be building a fence without a permit in the easment.. not allowed.

A few actual townships removes signs here that are within 12 feet of the street. They dont like the look of any signs and the city workers remove them. Where there are not sidwalks, youre allowed to walk in peoples yards in the easements. some here were saying kids shouldnt be in peoples yards at all to even pick up a leaf.. thats just weird. The police here wont do a thing about a sign taken from the easement area.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:53 PM

511 posts, read 658,386 times
Quote:
You're absolutely wrong on that as far as the law is concerned.
maybe where *you* are. again the rules are different everywhere, thanks. One person here says he doesnt need a permit to build in the easements, you sure would here.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthoughts View Post
we got to talking about easement and fences. You cant rig a sign with a dog 'fence' within the easment. it would be building a fence without a permit in the easment.. not allowed.

A few actual townships removes signs here that are within 12 feet of the street. They dont like the look of any signs and the city workers remove them. Where there are not sidwalks, youre allowed to walk in peoples yards in the easements. some here were saying kids shouldnt be in peoples yards at all to even pick up a leaf.. thats just weird. The police here wont do a thing about a sign taken from the easement area.
Well I guess if the city tried to take that sign they would get a shock too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections