U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:55 PM

15,402 posts, read 17,425,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Palin is scary, if your a republican or a democrat or a cat or a dog.
This should be the Quote of the Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 02:09 PM

12,360 posts, read 7,840,319 times
In June 2007, Palin signed a record $6.6 billion operating budget into law.[88] At the same time, she used her veto power to make the second-largest cuts of the construction budget in state history. The $237 million in cuts represented over 300 local projects, and reduced the construction budget to $1.6 billion. In 2008, Palin vetoed $286 million, cutting or reducing funding for 350 projects from the FY09 capital budget.
we could certainly use somebody in the white house with the fiscal restraint that palin exhibited in alaska, along with the record revenues generated. the rest of the country should be that lucky!
of course americans can decide that they would rather have a president who wants to spend 85 billion dollars ending global poverty with american taxpayer dollars. obama wants to forgive world debt at the expense of american taxpayers as well, with all of these plans in a failing economy. clearly, he is not economically prepared to lead at all! we will have nationalized health care with less quality health care and fewer choices at greater taxpayer cost. people are already dissatisfied with limited healthcare options now.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:12 PM

873 posts, read 1,012,054 times
ya know, my mother and I were talking about the McSame-Plain twosome this morning, about the bickering back and forth between them, about how incredibly stupid Plain is, etc. But one thing we've also noticed about McSame is that aside from the fact that Bush supported him and he chose such a poor running mate, he's very typical of his generation. He's quick tempered, bull headed, and wants to control everything. He actually reminds me of my father (whom I'd never have voted for either, bless his soul). The two, McSame and Plain make a very scary combination as far as I'm concerned. I think they'd both have that finger on the big button in no time simply because he's so hot tempered and she's so stupid.

I'm not totally sold on everything Obama has to offer. I am far more sold on him then I am on McCain. But as far as second runner ups go, I'd also be far more comfortable with Biden then with Plain.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:41 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,211,785 times
Hopefully, when Obama wins Tuesday, we'll have heard the last of Sarah Palin. I think the Republican party is going to have to do some soul searching in the next 4 years. To gain back national support, they will have to push the extremists like Palin out of the power positions in the party. She has been able to hide from the media and just do stump speeches because she is the #2 person on the ticket this time. If she tries to run for president in 2012, she will get eaten alive during the primaries. All this "respect for her executive experience" garbage from the right will vanish when she is the opposition. I kind of hope she does run, because that would make SNL worth watching again in the winter/spring of 2012.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I kind of hope she does run, because that would make SNL worth watching again in the winter/spring of 2012.
LOL, very true. Of course, we'll have fun watching her in her new job on The View. Don't you think that's a perfect place for her?

Old 11-02-2008, 03:26 PM

261 posts, read 449,290 times
Its obvious that McCain chose Palin once Hillary Clinton was out of the running. He probably thought that having a woman running for VP would guarantee him the votes he needs. The whole plot has backfired, judging by his body language he isnt impressed with Palin. I wonder if he could go back in time if he would change his pick ?

Old 11-02-2008, 03:30 PM

2,905 posts, read 4,440,398 times
First of all, anyone that uses the quote box and alters another poster's words is abusing the quote function, IMO.
Cut & paste into your own box if you would like to alter something someone has said, and don't attribute it to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Do you know that there are people out there who honestly believe, from what they've heard Obama say, that once he's President they will no longer have to worry about paying their mortgage or buying gas?
Gosh, he's good!
That has nothing to do with him being "good". Some people are just plain stupid. There's no other way around it. McCain's got stupid people voting for him too, I daresay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpelp View Post
That would be why her unfavorables have been steadily increasing....
Yes, that's the scary thing. I'm all for a smart person with good ideas being in charge, whether that be a woman or man, demo or repub. But she's a lot of things, including clueless and part of the very far right. God wants pipelines in Alaska? How is that so difference from Allah wanting the US to have an economic crisis? Yes, I'm sure similar minded far righties love her, but based on polls it looks a lot like everyone else does not.
If she really said that, that's frightening.
Quote:
That said, by now I'm sure you have read or heard Eagleburger's explanation of his remark and his deep apology. He actually admitted he got his foot stuck in his mouth. He went on to say that he believes Palin (should she be called upon to do so) is far more ready to be President than Obama who is sadly lacking in experience.
I am tired of the "experience" thing coming up with these two candidates. Neither Palin nor Obama have much of it, frankly. The bickering over which one has more experience is like two people in a shelter arguing over who is richer, the guy with two nickels or the guy with four.

Quote:
But it is amazing to me that you suddenly have catapulted John McCain to the age of 73 when he's barely turned 71. And, yes, there is a difference. Believe me, 71 years old is not the 71 of days gone by. I can attest to that.
This one actually made me laugh! "Catapulted" from 71 to 73! WHOAAAAA, yes there is a HUGE difference between 71 and 73!

Old 11-02-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Horizon View Post
I wonder if he could go back in time if he would change his pick ?
Only if he wanted to win. Sometimes I think he chose Palin because his campaign was actually starting to do well--and it was his secret plan all along to lose. Now he gets to sit back and make a ton of money writing books and giving speeches. Why not? Having a secret plan to lose would make him a real winner.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM

956 posts, read 718,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
No biggie - his birthday is 28 Aug - so he will be closer to 72.5 when (IF) he is elected. I was 0.6 years off, you were 1.4 years off. I too cannot wait for this to be over. Regardless of who wins, he will have a very steep hill to climb.
Picky picky picky!!! CD, come on!!! As of this moment in time, McCain is 71 and 2 months and a few days. If elected he will be 71 and 4 months plus days when he takes office.

You said he was 73. I said he was 71. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
She didn't "declare Bush the winner." She certified the votes as she was required to do by law.
They'll never get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
First of all, anyone that uses the quote box and alters another poster's words is abusing the quote function, IMO.
Cut & paste into your own box if you would like to alter something someone has said, and don't attribute it to them.

Mommy22, you are incorrect. I did not alter any of Calm Dude's post in any way. On any message board people often use the quote box and answer each individual point either in another color or bold and point out in their post (as I did) how their answers appear. That is what I did and it's entirely appropriate.

FYI, Obama is running for President. Palin is running for VP. I'm always amused when people compare them like they're running for the same office. Palin is more experienced than Obama, she's actually run something which Obama has not. I'm sorry you find this reminder tiring.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:06 PM

7,765 posts, read 9,362,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
..but, think seriously, seriously, SERIOUSLY about Palin in the White House. We've seen over the last month that she will not be a "quiet" V.P., but that she will have an agenda of her own and she will use her position to exert public opinion on a whole bunch of whacked out initiatives. It'd be like Hannity, Limbaugh, and the rest having their own lackey in the White House doing their bidding. Try to picture it in your mind, 6 months, 1 year down the road and Palin on screen over and over again. Once she's in, no Tina Fey skit is going to drown her out.

Yes, sanrene and other McCainites. I admit, I am scared, frightened, horrified of that thought. Romney, Giuliani, anyone would have been better than what might possibly befall us next week.

Everyone else, PLEASE do not let it happen. Vote Obama 08! And tell a friend!

Thank you, and have a great day.
Rewrite that to address Obama as the anti-Christ ushering in Armageddon and left nuts sound just like right ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections