Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:29 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Great - hopefully, we can have a civil discussion. I never implied I had more rights.

Hmmm ... actually you did imply it by suggesting I was waging a war when I wasn't the least bit warlike in stating my opinion. This is a trick that's often used to make a person look combative when they're not.

If true, may be we can make more friends abroad and not fight lonely wars. ..........................

Weeeeeeeellllll, unfortunately it won't turn out like that because it's all bravado in the selling ............. the problem with salesmen is that as good as they are eventually you have to get in the car and drive it, try to take possession of the bridge, wear the shoes that are really too tight or the shirt that's over-sized

Jealous? I guess they must be more excited than McCain supporters in Arizona Or, are you are implying Obama supporters have less rights to show support than others?

Jealous of the Obamatrons on the street corners carrying signs? No. And I'm not suggesting at all that they have less rights to show support. My implication was simply that the Obama camp is so desperate they're sending out the troops.

They're not speaking with people ... not stating their case ... simply waving.

My responses to most of your post appear in bold italics above.

I was going to respond to your last paragraph, but realized that with so many lies it would take far too long to provide all the links debunking virtually everything you have said. There's simply no point because you've made up your mind and no one is going to change it.

But it is amazing to me that you suddenly have catapulted John McCain to the age of 73 when he's barely turned 71. And, yes, there is a difference. Believe me, 71 years old is not the 71 of days gone by. I can attest to that.

There is the possibility, however, that McCain will choose to serve only one term and we can look forward to a campaign with Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton in 2012!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 11:18 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Originally Posted by calmdude
Great - hopefully, we can have a civil discussion. I never implied I had more rights.

Hmmm ... actually you did imply it by suggesting I was waging a war when I wasn't the least bit warlike in stating my opinion. This is a trick that's often used to make a person look combative when they're not.

If true, may be we can make more friends abroad and not fight lonely wars. ..........................

Weeeeeeeellllll, unfortunately it won't turn out like that because it's all bravado in the selling ............. the problem with salesmen is that as good as they are eventually you have to get in the car and drive it, try to take possession of the bridge, wear the shoes that are really too tight or the shirt that's over-sized
==>> Last I checked Grampa was rudderless .... and desperately seeking friends. Could have saved $700bill - $1 trillion if W did not go to Iraq on an unneeded war. This is where W the salesman filed miserably. Obama seems to have a different temprament. He will fight when needed and not jump in in an erratic manner McCain is much more likely to do

Jealous? I guess they must be more excited than McCain supporters in Arizona Or, are you are implying Obama supporters have less rights to show support than others?

Jealous of the Obamatrons on the street corners carrying signs? No. And I'm not suggesting at all that they have less rights to show support. My implication was simply that the Obama camp is so desperate they're sending out the troops.

They're not speaking with people ... not stating their case ... simply waving.

==>> Nothing wrong with any of this. Maybe they are just helping McCain attain the status where he wants to be. Campaign can include different forms of show of support - could be waving or ballet...
Quote:

I was going to respond to your last paragraph, but realized that with so many lies it would take far too long to provide all the links debunking virtually everything you have said. There's simply no point because you've made up your mind and no one is going to change it.
==>>Actually, that is a strong casse against McPalin but you are right, neither of us are going to change. I already voted.

Quote:
But it is amazing to me that you suddenly have catapulted John McCain to the age of 73 when he's barely turned 71. And, yes, there is a difference. Believe me, 71 years old is not the 71 of days gone by. I can attest to that.
Not true - he was 72 during the Rep convention (McCain's Age Still An Issue On The Trail, Republican Candidate, 71 Years Old, Remains A Vigorous Campaigner - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/28/politics/main3760929.shtml?source=RSSattr=Politics_3760929 - broken link)).

Quote:
There is the possibility, however, that McCain will choose to serve only one term and we can look forward to a campaign with Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton in 2012!
I like your presumption about McCain.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:21 AM

259 posts, read 157,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
You know the your sentiments about Sarah Palin are exactly the same trepidation I have with the thought of an Obama presidency.

I have more trepidation at the thought of Obama as President
than I would of the thought of Palin as President

thats right , I would have more confidence in Her on the top of the ticket than I do in Obama at the top of his ticket

Old 11-02-2008, 12:02 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude;5969061.....................

Not true - he was 72 during the Rep convention ([color=violet
McCain's Age Still An Issue On The Trail, Republican Candidate, 71 Years Old, Remains A Vigorous Campaigner - CBS News[/color] (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/28/politics/main3760929.shtml?source=RSSattr=Politics_3760929 - broken link)).
I stand corrected. I forgot how terribly long these campaigns have been. So I was a year off and you were a year off.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:26 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,683 times
Quote:
I stand corrected. I forgot how terribly long these campaigns have been. So I was a year off and you were a year off.
No biggie - his birthday is 28 Aug - so he will be closer to 72.5 when (IF) he is elected. I was 0.6 years off, you were 1.4 years off. I too cannot wait for this to be over. Regardless of who wins, he will have a very steep hill to climb.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:28 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Palin is scary, if your a republican or a democrat or a cat or a dog.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:30 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po the Patriot View Post
I have more trepidation at the thought of Obama as President
than I would of the thought of Palin as President

thats right , I would have more confidence in Her on the top of the ticket than I do in Obama at the top of his ticket

Old 11-02-2008, 12:37 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Or a hamster...

Old 11-02-2008, 12:54 PM

24,507 posts, read 33,292,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Good for you. You can start a fan club.

Anyone remember Katherine Harris, the Republican Secretary of State of Florida in 2000 who declared Bush the winner? Everyone thought she was going to be a Republican superstar.
She didn't "declare Bush the winner." She certified the votes as she was required to do by law.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:58 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
She didn't "declare Bush the winner." She certified the votes as she was required to do by law.
"Accordingly, on behalf of the state Election Canvassing Commission and in accordance with the laws of the state of Florida, I hereby declare Governor George W. Bush the winner of Florida's 25 electoral votes for the president of the United States," Harris said.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLI...ion/index.html

I didn't say she did anything illegal, I was only mentioning that all the pundits envisioned big things for Katherine Harris after her thrust into the national spotlight. Much like people are saying about Palin. She'll be forgotten by Thursday, except by the "We're more patriotic and better Christians than you" crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections