Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Candidate Is More Patriotic?
John MCCain 57 51.82%
Barak Obama 53 48.18%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:32 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
So McCain got into Annapolis on his own merits? No, he got in because he was the son and grandson of admirals. So what did McCain do that was so great compared to what Obama has done?
Flew 23 missions,28 medals,POW, while barack was Hula dancin with is muslim parents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 06:40 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Well, since you mentioned soldiers, Obama will make sure they are taken care of once they get back from serving, unlike McCain. Would you like me to go on? Health care. Education for children, etc.
Please do....

Healthcare? Give me a break. I have it and don't, quite frankly, want to pay for anyone else's, especially if they're illegal, we do enough of that already.
And education? Doing fine as far as that goes. Education is what you make of it, as a parent. You need to be certain your kids are getting the most from their education. It is not completely on teacher's/school's backs to make sure your child does the best they can. That comes from home. Work ethic, study habits, support, etc. - that all comes from home. I much prefer the older days of education, separate the kids that do exceptional and challenge them, don't keep them all at the same level - far too liberal. How about going back to grammar and not this "whole language" (picture me floating my hands through the air) program. Yes, let's have the kids spell however they want - they're being creative. Crock of what my dog left in the yard.

We don't need bigger government - we need people to take responsibility for themselves and their own families, that's what we need.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:44 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Please do....

Healthcare? Give me a break. I have it and don't, quite frankly, want to pay for anyone else's, especially if they're illegal, we do enough of that already.
And education? Doing fine as far as that goes. Education is what you make of it, as a parent. You need to be certain your kids are getting the most from their education. It is not completely on teacher's/school's backs to make sure your child does the best they can. That comes from home. Work ethic, study habits, support, etc. - that all comes from home. I much prefer the older days of education, separate the kids that do exceptional and challenge them, don't keep them all at the same level - far too liberal. How about going back to grammar and not this "whole language" (picture me floating my hands through the air) program. Yes, let's have the kids spell however they want - they're being creative. Crock of what my dog left in the yard.

We don't need bigger government - we need people to take responsibility for themselves and their own families, that's what we need.
Funny you never mentioned the "soldier" part. Also, thank goodness you are fortunate enough to have health care. Not everyone does. Education? Some children are not fortunate enough to have the same educational opportunities as others.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:46 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,010 times
Right Guard is the best defense against B.O.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
That was such a clever statement. How long did it take you to think that one up?

Old 10-31-2008, 06:52 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
A "position" in the military is not a silver foot in your mouth. They work EXTREMELY hard to further themselves.

And I see Obama doing only for Obama. Just a matter of how you look at things.
SURE you have to work REAL hard if your dad is an admiral.Get a clue.Pretty much LAST in his class but yet he still advanced....Kinda like Bush EARNED his "ed u ma ca tion".

Old 10-31-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Funny you never mentioned the "soldier" part. Also, thank goodness you are fortunate enough to have health care. Not everyone does. Education? Some children are not fortunate enough to have the same educational opportunities as others.
If they have parents, they have the same opportunities. Support, guidance and help at home don't cost a thing. My kids go to public schools, not private, and we do our research, trying to find out the best courses to take and clubs/sports/organizations to join for them. We also volunteer our time for Shoebox, Special Olympics, and recreational sports as coaches. These things don't cost us a dime and will go a long way for their future. And yes, I work, too.

You have to make a committment when you become a parent to do whatever you can to help your kids become the best they can be.

I have healthcare because my husband pays for it out of his paycheck and anyone else can do that, too.

My grandfather was a vet from WWII, my dad, Vietnam, and my husband from the first Iraq war. Thankfully, none maimed, but I can tell you the VA helped them out in our local communities, education (and no, not one with a fancy degree, but all have/had good jobs and a good head on their shoulders), VA mortgage, etc. I do know that the hospitals need a lot of work and I don't see Obama making those a priority either.

I'm still waiting for how Obama will help? The only thing I can see is him taking away more of what we've worked for, and that, I'm completely against.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
SURE you have to work REAL hard if your dad is an admiral.Get a clue.Pretty much LAST in his class but yet he still advanced....Kinda like Bush EARNED his "ed u ma ca tion".

Oh yeah, and Obama did too - affirmative action

Old 10-31-2008, 06:56 AM

703 posts, read 855,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
You're a comedic genius!

Old 10-31-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
If they have parents, they have the same opportunities. Support, guidance and help at home don't cost a thing. My kids go to public schools, not private, and we do our research, trying to find out the best courses to take and clubs/sports/organizations to join for them. We also volunteer our time for Shoebox, Special Olympics, and recreational sports as coaches. These things don't cost us a dime and will go a long way for their future. And yes, I work, too.

You have to make a committment when you become a parent to do whatever you can to help your kids become the best they can be.

I have healthcare because my husband pays for it out of his paycheck and anyone else can do that, too.

My grandfather was a vet from WWII, my dad, Vietnam, and my husband from the first Iraq war. Thankfully, none maimed, but I can tell you the VA helped them out in our local communities, education (and no, not one with a fancy degree, but all have/had good jobs and a good head on their shoulders), VA mortgage, etc. I do know that the hospitals need a lot of work and I don't see Obama making those a priority either.

I'm still waiting for how Obama will help? The only thing I can see is him taking away more of what we've worked for, and that, I'm completely against.
You are fortunate as was I when raising my child. However, not everyone has the same economic environment. You cannot group everyone into the same lump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections