Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 09:16 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There is one very, very significant concern with Zogby, which is that he has a longstanding rule to set his party weightings based on the exit polls from the most recent election. In this case, that means 2004, when a roughly equal number of Democrats and Republicans turned out. However, according to essentially every available poll, Democrats now have somewhere between a 5-point and a 10-point advantage in party ID.
Also note.... Registration Gains Favor Democrats - washingtonpost.com

Quote:
This particular procedure has bitten Zogby in the [arse] before. Between 2000 and 2004, there was a shift in party ID toward the Republicans; as a result, Zogby's numbers were 2-3 points high for Kerry across battleground states.
FiveThirtyEight.com: Electoral Projections Done Right: Tracking Poll Primer

Just sayin'....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:23 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Yup, how many times have I told folks do not react to Zogby even if you like his results.
That would be easier to decide if you could buy polls the way you buy canned food or cereal, with all the ingredients disclosed on a label. But pollsters don't package their products that way. Consequently, most of us believe, mistakenly, that a poll is a simple tabulation of a random sample of voters. In reality, polls are full of additives and preservatives, subtractions and selective multiplications, none of which are generally published. The reason many polls consistently differ from others is that their hidden ingredients differ. Here's a guide to those ingredients, poll by poll.

I just posted a couple of very good links on polling samples and differences between pollsters in the Oct 31 polling thread.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:27 PM

532 posts, read 908,380 times
I wish people would just give up on polls all together. I mean, think of a pollster like you think of the weatherman. You watch the polls (weather) and you hear what is predicted, but even if the weatherman says it won't rain, you still take your umbrella.
They can't predict this stuff. We'll just have to wait and see.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
I wish people would just give up on polls all together. I mean, think of a pollster like you think of the weatherman. You watch the polls (weather) and you hear what is predicted, but even if the weatherman says it won't rain, you still take your umbrella.
They can't predict this stuff. We'll just have to wait and see.
Sage advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections