Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times

Advertisements

For people for a campaign to use new voter registrations to solicit votes? I reg. here about 1 month ago. I have not voted yet and two Obama supporters just came to my door with a list saying I was on their list. This is the only place they would have gotten my address and information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 12:01 PM

274 posts, read 606,078 times
Yup. And they were canvassing, not soliciting. They were probably going around the entire neighborhood, or knocking on only the registered dems/republicans/independent houses, those under 60, only males/females, etc.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:06 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
For people for a campaign to use new voter registrations to solicit votes? I reg. here about 1 month ago. I have not voted yet and two Obama supporters just came to my door with a list saying I was on their list. This is the only place they would have gotten my address and information.
If you're registered to vote, which I would assume you were, they have access to that registry you know - which includes what you're registered as, your address, phone numbers etc. That information is public record.

What campaigns will do is go down the lists and look at who has voted then try to suss their voting pattern. Visits and who to seek out go from there.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez02403 View Post
Yup. And they were canvassing, not soliciting. They were probably going around the entire neighborhood, or knocking on only the registered dems/republicans/independent houses, those under 60, only males/females, etc.
Nope they knocked on just my door and left. There is no solicitation here and they told me they had my address specifically. They also asked who I was voting for. I declined and they asked why....

Old 11-01-2008, 12:15 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,334 times
Totally legal. Totally a pain in the butt.

I think the only people who really "talk" to canvassers are lonely senior citizens.

15,154 posts, read 11,621,740 times
I am a registered Independent...so no one will be comming to my door

387 posts, read 677,739 times
Yup. It's been happening for ever and ever.

The first time I registered to vote, I gave my home phone number. I never made that mistake again; now I give a number that goes directly to voicemail.

It isn't just campaigns that abuse that database; marketers do it too. For example if you register as a Democrat, expect to get solicitations for liberal political magazines.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post

Unaffiliated here. I'll make sure when I move I leave as much info off as possible. If it was any other canvasser I would do the same thing. I despise being bothered at my house with stuff like that. I don't talk politics in person because it can only lead to people agreeing with themselves or all out arguments. When he asked why I was first appalled and second I replied with: "this is politics man what would asking me why going to get you?

Thanks for the info this was the first time I have ever been canvassed.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:17 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Don't bet on it. Independents are primetime grade A juicy targets. Much juicier targets then someone that has voted Democrat or Republican all their life.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:24 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Completely legal. Voter registrations are public record and the campaigns target the ones they think are most likely to be swayed to their side.

I screen my calls and don't answer any who's numbers I don't recognize. That widespread habit has affected the polling numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections