Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:05 AM

703 posts, read 855,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This is correct. I don't know why the other person tried to turn the discussion into one on abortion. Her religion is what it is, and because she can't separate it from her political life, we have a right to question it.

I know these people, these Mat/Su Valley evangelicals. They are not, as a whole, a more mild representation of their sect, and they are, for the most part, highly political people.
I saw a video a couple of weeks back where a preacher from another religion is Wasilla was explaining how Palin's church basically took over the town politically, and how she spearheaded that multimillion dollar sports complex, etc.

It was a rather ominous feeling video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 12:08 AM

523 posts, read 1,282,494 times
I could never vote for anyone who is against stem cell research. McCain lost my vote when he insulted women like me by nominating a backward-thinking religious nut like Palin and expected us to gather 'round and embrace her.

Better call Sarah and tell her the breaking news: The world is...(gasp) NOT flat after all!! The Church was WRONG! By golly!

Imagine the difference science has made to the lives of people living with Diabetes, for example, in just the past 50 years. Imagine how many cures are just around the corner...if we can use a little common sense when we vote.

MICHIGAN: VOTE YES ON 2!!

Old 11-02-2008, 12:19 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,674 times
Interesting that you bring up this thread now...

I just had someone from the east coast call me and "encourage" me to read the Focus on the Family October newsletter before I vote. Seem that their endorsement of McCain is somewhat wrapped up in his choice of Palin (and the pro-life platform).

Here is what I don't get. Generally, the most conservative of the Baptist (source of the phone call) churches consider the denomination Palin comes from to be, at best, misguided in their theology. At the more extreme end of the spectrum, these conservative churches often consider the Pentecostal doctrine dangerous. I'm not connecting the dots to see how Palin is appealing to the members of these fundamental Baptist groups who are truly educated about their church's theology.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:24 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
But the church she attends isn't important. What's preached at her church isn't important. She may have attended but she didn't always agree with what was preached. Perhaps she wasn't at the service in which such things were said? Isn't all of the above what some of you have said about Obama's church that hates America and white people?

Old 11-02-2008, 12:25 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Oh, and did Obama's church have to begin to pay federal taxes since they regularly endorsed Obama in their church services? Naw, that only matters if the church endorses a conservative candidate.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:26 AM

703 posts, read 855,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Oh, and did Obama's church have to begin to pay federal taxes since they regularly endorsed Obama in their church services? Naw, that only matters if the church endorses a conservative candidate.
If that's the case, then it's wrong.

I'd have to see the info though.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:47 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
But the church she attends isn't important. What's preached at her church isn't important. She may have attended but she didn't always agree with what was preached. Perhaps she wasn't at the service in which such things were said? Isn't all of the above what some of you have said about Obama's church that hates America and white people?
What's important is that she has a proven propensity to mix church and state.

About Obama's church...there are at least 75 threads concerning that; I made this one to discuss Sarah Palin.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,405 times
Quote:
This kind of religious mutation has had a fertile ground in Wasilla and has been festering there for over 25 years.
And what do you practice? Shamanism? Shall we chat about your religion for a while Met? Talk about far fetched beliefs. If we are going to make fun of one, heck, lets just make fun of them all!? I have attended many Native American rituals and ceremonies in my life and never once once felt compelled to make fun or criticsize.

I've attended Palin's church, my daughter attended their youth group. It's as apple pie and hot dogs of a church as you will ever find. Depsite what you think, 84% of Americans practice one form of the Christian based religion or another.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:07 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,959 times
The OP's Anti-Palin tirade is seriously getting scary.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:08 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
I hope this hasn't been posted already.

Talk To Action | Reclaiming Citizenship, History, and Faith

"If Mary Glazier's claim, that Palin joined her prayer-warfare group almost two decades ago, is true"

Why do you waste our time with this stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections