Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 02:01 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
This thread didn't age well...
It aged just fine.
IN 2008 the GOP was crushed.
Just as predicted.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 02:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Political predictions for past elections don't "age well" or "not age well" when it comes to a new election with different candidates.

It would be like saying, "Hurricane Charley is going to hit Tampa Bay" in 2004 and then saying, "well, that didn't age well" when Hurricane Michael hit the panhandle in 2018. Umm, okay?
Apparently "themoreyouknow" doesn't seem to know that.
No surprise there.

Ken

Old 10-17-2018, 04:40 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
Quote:
Do you understand what the term "age well" means?
Better than some, apparently. Next are you going to dig up some threads predicting the Cleveland Cavaliers will win the 2016 championship and then claim the thread hasn’t aged well because the Cavs will be worse this year?

Old 10-17-2018, 05:00 PM

589 posts, read 756,696 times
Wow this is old. I lean right myself and i didnt vote in 2008, i just didnt like McCain and i didnt like Obama, but the Iraq war was unpopular enough with people on both sides of aisle that anyone could have ran as a Democrat and won the election. Obama had the media worshipping him for being the "first black" nominee but anyone still would have won.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:09 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Wow this is old. I lean right myself and i didnt vote in 2008, i just didnt like McCain and i didnt like Obama, but the Iraq war was unpopular enough with people on both sides of aisle that anyone could have ran as a Democrat and won the election. Obama had the media worshipping him for being the "first black" nominee but anyone still would have won.
I used to be a Republican back then too, and thought McCain was fine but Palin was a horrible VP choice. If it were Romney/Ryan in 2008 instead, I think the GOP would have had a better showing.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:57 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Default Not much real red left.

is this in-real red?

Old 10-18-2018, 10:08 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Do you understand what the term "age well" means?
I dont think you do.

The thread is about reliably red states, in short, states you dont have to campaign in .

Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennslvania were always highly contested states, and still are.

But Georgia and Arizona werent just 8 years ago. And Colorado, Virginia and Nevada have shifted Democratic.

North Carolina is a toss up state, but was once Reliably republican in a presidential race.

Virginia and Colorado are at least light to lean blue now. Nevada on the edge of Toss up to light blue.

There is no state that has actually shifted Republican/Red but there are states that have become more reliably blue.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:10 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
is this in-real red?
LOL

Los Angeles County has more people than the entire middle section of the country ,

if you need to visualize it

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...utput-america/

Counties are geographical, not a populous.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The number of states classified as "Red" is dwindling rapidly, with new defections nearly every day. Just today South Dakota and Arkansas went from Red to Pink. Other states previously Red have long gone first to Pink then to Tossup then to Light Blue. Take a look at the latest map. Red states are rapidly becoming an "endangered species" - and Pink states are not far behind.

Sounds like a tsunami coming on Tuesday.

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map

Ken
Ken I have to almost laugh it this wasn't so pathetic. AR, was blue for generations and just went totally red about 10 years ago, so to put it in the "pink" whatever that means is funny. Now for the up side or the red side, I do not know of a Republican running for any state or federal office that is in any danger or losing the election. Well, maybe a couple of state reps, but certainly not the governor, the house or the senate.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:56 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
is this in-real red?
I know it can be deceiving, but land doesn't vote. Think about how many people are in, say, the red state of Idaho or Montana, compared to the blue cities of Los Angeles and NYC. If land voted, then of course the republicans would win by a landslide every single time because the rural areas (where there is lots of land and not lots of people) are almost always red. It doesn't, though; people vote. There are maps available that show the blue vs red votes by population, and of course it's about 50/50, slightly skewed blue. THere are many different ways to show the same data; a bunch of them can be found here: https://www.wired.com/story/is-us-le...election-maps/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections