Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:34 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times

Advertisements

At least, he is not relying on affirmative actions to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 02:35 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
He's mulatto.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:39 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
I think we will probably elect a Hispanic president before 2020. I also think that in the near future, Hispanics will be majority here in the USA and that will certainly change the dynamics of the political process. We are living in some very interesting times

Old 11-02-2008, 02:40 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
They already said if Obama wins it will be a very emotional historical event. I know I will shed tears of happiness for Barack Obama! And will also say a prayer to protect him and his lovely family!

Old 11-02-2008, 02:42 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Although I am not voting for either candidate, I think the possibility that America may be electing the first non-White president is quite exciting. Regardless of who Obama is or what he believes in, I think this will be a historical mark and it will definitely motivate other Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, women and other "minorities" to run for office in the future. Even countries like Liberia,Argentina,and the Philippines have women as leaders. I think that if Obama gets elected, the historical significance of these elections will be remembered for many years to come and this should be very exciting!!
For most Americans, our families originated elsewhere. Some of us are only second or third generation Americans. Some are even first. To me, it isn't about Obama being white, black or Asian for that matter, it's who he is and what he stands for. Same for McCain, which is why I won't vote for him.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:44 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I think we will probably elect a Hispanic president before 2020. I also think that in the near future, Hispanics will be majority here in the USA and that will certainly change the dynamics of the political process. We are living in some very interesting times
You can thank pro illegal immigration politicians for that.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:51 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Obama does not have to win for this to be a historical event. It is nice to see a black citizen make it this far and speaks a lot about how far we have come. I personally will not vote for him due to severe policy differences, but I am proud of his accomplishment nonetheless.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:53 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I am much more interested in his intellect, his ideas, his leadership qualities! The fact that he is of "mixed ethnicity" is a bonus, but not a deciding factor!
I'm the same.

It will be interesting to see the headlines the day after the election. As in every election that I've witnessed in my adult life, there's always a paradigm shift the day after the winner is announced. Gone are the headlines of DUI's, swift-boats, Ayers, Keating5, terrorists, Joe the Plumbers and the rest of the sensationalistic garbage. When the writers go to pen their articles talking about the winner, the catch phrase they will gravitate to is "First black President of the United States" (if Obama wins). It's always like a new day and things go back to semi-normal. Mark my words.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:25 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,308 times
I have a little collection of history in one of my hallways. My DH's mom had preserved a copy of the front page after man's first walk on the moon in 1969 and she gave that to us. We have preserved a copy of the front page the day after 9/11. We will add a copy of the front page should Obama win the election.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:13 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i think that the majority of americans voting against obama will be doing so based on his rejection of the constitution, his huge spending agenda, his nationalized lower quality healthcare plan, his plan to use american taxpayer money to address world issues, his pro illegal immigration stance, and the fact that any clear-thinking person would realize that he cannot promise everything to everybody and keep these promises, just like the democratic controlled congress of the last 2 years (including barack obama and joe biden) broke all of their campaign promises to the american people!
"Rejection of the Constitution?" I don't even have to read any more of this post to deem it wacky and irrelevant. Who's been rejecting the Constitution for the past eight years? Try Bush and Cheney and their enablers..................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections