Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:04 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,387 times

Advertisements

There seem to be a number of threads on this board authored by conservatives trying desperately to come up with some rationalization about why folks are voting for Obama. They attempt to explain this political phenomenon on people being "snookered," "hood winked," "mesmerized," operating from some sense of white guilt or black racism. Let me help you to understand, the American people are just sick and tired of you folks and that change that you scoff at is exactly what we want and what we demand.

They say that the first step towards recovery is recognition of your problem, so let me help you with that first step. You have come as close as anyone has come in more than 75 years of destroying this country. You have found a way to pit one part of this nation against another, whether it was race, guns, god or abortion, you have used these issues as a cover for the rape of our environment, the wholesale theft of our national wealth, and the squandering of your young peoples lives.

We've had enough.

Barack Obama was the only candidate within the Democratic Party that understood just how fed up with you people we are. Hillary, god bless her, didn't. She hoped to thread the needle with that finesse we have come to associate with the DLC and we rejected it.

Obama was the least "experienced" candidate on the Democratic side but he was the only candidate, black or white, who captured the sentiment of most Americans, at least those with enough sense to see, and wrapped it with a forward looking plan that we could rally around. That is why he is our candidate. He didn't have to sell us, he just had to understand what we want and develop a plan to get us there.

So as election day approaches, look no more for excuses, or exotic rationals, just look at yourselves in the mirror, reread your posts, look at how your thinking has changed this nation for the worst and there you will find the answer of why we want Barack Obama, quite simply, we are just tired of you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 05:12 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,773 times
Yep. It's not that Obama is a better candidate. It's just the shift in political winds because of 8 years of lies, betrayals, and no accountability. Will the Democrats hold their elected leaders to the fire when they change their minds? Specifically, Obama? Hardly.

FISA - where's the outrage?

Old 11-02-2008, 05:21 PM

355 posts, read 555,121 times
Winter you are amazing. Thank You ! The right counts on being able to bully and yell louder inorder to get their way. Oh wait, my baby granddaughter does that. HUM. I think its time in this country to stand up and let them beat their heads against the great wall of people who are tired of watching our country be distroyed. We don't have to yell or throw tantrums. We just have to stand up and say enough is enough.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:47 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
There seem to be a number of threads on this board authored by conservatives trying desperately to come up with some rationalization about why folks are voting for Obama. They attempt to explain this political phenomenon on people being "snookered," "hood winked," "mesmerized," operating from some sense of white guilt or black racism. Let me help you to understand, the American people are just sick and tired of you folks and that change that you scoff at is exactly what we want and what we demand.
For the mere sake of argument, I'll take this rather ill measured indignation to task as best I can.

To begin with you start by using the term "conservative", in which you then list a series of qualities that you associate with what you think a conservative is. To this, I say you are wholly and utterly wrong as well as grossly presumptuous. You may be referring to the more generic term Republican or "right-winger" or something to that effect and maybe even a few conservatives but hardly the whole. When you start out making such a bold statement it would help that you get the definitions and context of that which you are deriding in the proper construct, otherwise you begin under a false premise to which no accurate conclusion can come.

I won't scoff or chide anyone that desires change as change is a good thing when tempered with healthy skepticism and close examination. Change for the mere sake of change as a general argument is folly. Contemporary Republicanism is a failed experiment of wildly assumptive policy born in a think tank by fools proven folly by their results in the Sands of the Middle East and in the halls of Wall Street. Change from this is good, but I see little evidence that Obama will curb the United States government's appetite for spending money it does not have and will borrow from another generation not yet born. Change in words, sure, change in action is yet to be seen and neither you nor I can say with any certainty what the future may hold. I don't believe Obama will be the change many expect, and I hope that I am wrong.

Quote:
They say that the first step towards recovery is recognition of your problem, so let me help you with that first step. You have come as close as anyone has come in more than 75 years of destroying this country. You have found a way to pit one part of this nation against another, whether it was race, guns, god or abortion, you have used these issues as a cover for the rape of our environment, the wholesale theft of our national wealth, and the squandering of your young peoples lives.

We've had enough.
Sure YOU have had enough, so have I, and so have the majority of people but if you wish to issue forth blame, just make sure you place it in the proper box.

If you wish to view others that you have already misidentified to start with as having issues that equate to that of a disease of addiction to which you plan on playing the role of therapist. As a therapist we should be able to assume that such a professional will provide an objective assessment in order to determine the best treatment. As such it would probably be reasonable to recognize that the party you hold so high from the contempt of that which you wish to treat, is also a co conspirator and an enabler of no less than half of those things you hold in such low regard.

Quote:
Barack Obama was the only candidate within the Democratic Party that understood just how fed up with you people we are. Hillary, god bless her, didn't. She hoped to thread the needle with that finesse we have come to associate with the DLC and we rejected it.

Obama was the least "experienced" candidate on the Democratic side but he was the only candidate, black or white, who captured the sentiment of most Americans, at least those with enough sense to see, and wrapped it with a forward looking plan that we could rally around. That is why he is our candidate. He didn't have to sell us, he just had to understand what we want and develop a plan to get us there.
I have nothing personal against Obama and in fact I admire his idealistic vision and message of unity and hope, as sometimes there is a time to buy the world a coke. At the same time, vision and hope does not fill empty bellies, fill treasuries, cloth soldiers in the field, or provide warmth in a home on a winters night. Actions do these things, so let us all hope that the vision is a tire that actually meets the road.

Quote:
So as election day approaches, look no more for excuses, or exotic rationals, just look at yourselves in the mirror, reread your posts, look at how your thinking has changed this nation for the worst and there you will find the answer of why we want Barack Obama, quite simply, we are just tired of you.
I must ask that you and yours do the same and while passing around the adulation earned. As there can be little honor or joy in supporting a visionary man who professes unity and brotherhood while at the same time holding the vanquished in such low esteem, as it only perpetuates the divisiveness you so boldly rally against.

As you look in the mirror with such self pride, remember who also supported and discharged the wars you despise. Remember those cohorts who joined with those you oppose in passing on to future generations a debt that you and I incurred. Remember that two years ago when there was another opportunity for change that required courage of convictions, that no party stood vanguard and opposed these things at the time when America needed them most.

So while I understand how good it must make you feel to see triumph before you on the field, it gives me no pleasure to see that there is little difference in your words than those of the people you deride. Those you tell to look in the mirror, the reflection cast is likely that of yourself.

Quote:
wash, rinse, repeat

Old 11-03-2008, 01:52 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Yep. It's not that Obama is a better candidate.
I do believe that Obama was/is a better candidate. I like Hilary too, but given the choice I selected Obama.

Some of that was based on issues (primarily his economic plans and energy plans) and some of it was the way he ran his campaign.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:07 AM

117 posts, read 167,997 times
Quote:

We've had enough.

I have just one question for you: Do you even know me?

Oh, no you don't, that's right. You're tired of me though? Be careful with your choice of words, they can so easily be turned against you. The less accusatory you are in your arguments, the more seriously people will take you in your "rationalization" of voting for Obama.

As for people not supporting Hillary because she didn't understand like Obama did, I think you are mistaken, because there were quite a few that DID side with her, but chose to jump ship to Obama when she left the election and he got the nomination. People seem to forget those months of struggle and division amongst the Democrats that really made them look ridiculous and gave less credibility to those that support either candidate.

As for you being tired of "us"... I'm sorry, but Democrats run both houses and I, frankly, and tired of it. They, as I have stated before, have a lot of control in the stuff that goes down in Washington and people really seem to overlook this a lot. It's easy to make the President, and the Republican party, the scapegoat in this situation, but not everyone is a blind follower such as yourself, which you have clearly expressed in just this one post.

If you want a point a finger at anyone, then point it at the American people. I think this is one of the strongest points Palin made, the American people need to stop blaming EVERYTHING on the government, and start looking at the consequences of their own actions.

It's my belief that people, in general (and especiall the youth), have gotten lazy, they want everything handed to them to where they don't have to work for this. ALL the older generations, and even the media claim this, it's true. The majority has shown they do not know how to control responsibility and, really, chargin to credit is just insanely ridiculous. Then you have people buying $150,000 houses when they only make 40k a year and have a family, not realizing they can't afford the payments on the house until it is too late.

Why is the economy doing so bad? IDK look at the spending. It's out of control. Even when the economy reached its lowest a few months ago and gas was absurdly high, places like Wal-Mart and Target were flourishing. Those places were ALWAYS packed.

Then you have the gas prices. They sky rocketed and people stopped driving so much, they started car pooling, they started buying more economy friendly cars (hell, I did this last year) and gas prices eventually went down when some media sources predicted gas would be 7 dollars RIGHT now, and it's 2.06 a gallon where I live.

Now as people start to drive more carelessly again, they can expect it to rise again.

I have friends from German here for school and they said the gas here is amazingly cheap compared to there. I know a guy from Germany that's lived here for 15 years and says that the gas then is STILL more expensive than our gas now. Really, I think we're doing pretty good for ourselves.

And with gas prices going down, so do plane tickets, which will persuade more people to fly, especially over the holiday season.

IDK... I'm rambling again, it's late >.<

Old 11-03-2008, 02:14 AM

511 posts, read 658,536 times
Great Post Winter.. Thank You!!

Old 11-03-2008, 03:16 AM

703 posts, read 855,632 times
Don't egg 'emon.

It's like going to a birthday party where the adults never show up with a cake. It's not the kids' fault.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:31 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,039,491 times
Quote:

We've had enough.

Maybe your spreading the disenchancement?

Old 11-03-2008, 03:35 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
When did it become an issue to have a different opinion? I think that is why we have elections? I am not into personal dings, I just worry about the cliff we are riding and the drop off we are facing economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections