Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:11 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times

Advertisements

The bottom line is that our economy is in horrible shape, we are disliked all over the world, and we have a crippling deficit that is more dangerous than the threat of terrorist attacks. We are involved in a war with no end which we cannot afford, and there are other fronts that are more dangerous than Iraq where we probably should be, but our resources are all in Iraq. Whoever is president cannot give us a land of milk and honey. We are going to have to make sacrifices whether McCain or Obama is elected. Most of those sacrifices will be in the form of taxes on someone. We can't continue this spend, spend, spend philosophy without paying for it. I believe it will take much more than 5 years to get us back in good shape. I may not live to see the United States restored to the economic progress, surplus in the budget, and good will world-wide that George W. Bush has squandered and destroyed. But I believe either of these guys will work toward that goal--Obama better than McCain because he already has the respect of the rest of the world. Vote. Pray. And continue to pray throughout the terms of office for the next 12 years. We will either get better, or we will get worse. Also, if McCain does get elected, pray very hard that he lives through his term of office. Palin simply does not have the grasp of the issues I listed or the grasp of the consequences of some of the actions she has suggested in dealing with them. Her simple misstatement about Iran this weekend could cause war if it came from a seated vice-president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 05:19 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
It is now just about 50 hours before most polls will have closed. Assuming a fair vote with an accurate count, we'll begin to get a real idea of who we have elected. McCain or Obama? The more I study, the more angry I become. Obama scares the heck out of me, and McCain has run the poorest campaign since Bush 41. So poor, in fact, I wonder if elected how well he will perform.

I am going into the booth Tuesday, MAD AS HELL, disgusted with all the jerks, all the ignorant idiots (on both sides), and wondering if our nation can survive any of the possible outcomes. Race is an issue, but we can't talk about it. Poverty is an issue, but we ignore it. National Security is an issue, but we fear sounding scared.

No one has truly spoken to America but maybe Ron Paul, Mike Huckabee, and/or Newt Gingrich. Fox News has tried to fairly describe the issues, but still fail to teach how they will affect us. CNN, ABC, and CBS have just crawled under rocks or stuck their heads in the sand while NBC, the New York Times and most similar trash can filler has literally become the news sources of least accountability, unless you view their bias as being truth.

I am sick of failure in this nation to pay attention to the real issues. Taxes cost us over 50% of our personal incomes either directly or indirectly. Personal responsibility is almost non-existent with blame being placed on the rich, the poor, and the middle class.

Corporations can't be taxed for if they are, one of two outcomes are absolute. Either they raise prices, which cost consumers more, or they cause businesses to fail, costing employees jobs.

80% of American's claim to be Christian, but we can't pray as a public group, or expect our children to learn religious history, unless it's about Islam, Buddha, or some non-existent God.

If you have humored me by reading this post to this point, please take a few moments to think about five years from now. What to you honestly and logically think our USA will be like? Will it truly be better or worse?

I hope and pray to God that I my fears are unfounded.
I whole heartly agree with your comments that I have highlighted.I think we can bounce back and bounce back quickly when this race is over depending on who is elected.I'm not a huge fan of either candidate,but the choice is and has been very clear for me for awhile now.I was like you in the past two elections when I went in the booth to vote,I was mad because I had nobody to vote for and I felt pressured into voting for the lesser of two evils because I KNEW from the very beginning that Bush was the scumbag he has proven himself to be.

I pray that McCain does not somehow end up in the whitehouse,but if he does,I'm going to support him until he screws us up and the same with Obama...If he's elected I'll do the same thing as the rest of you are going to do,watch him like a hawk and hold him to his word and lose faith in him if he lies to us just like I've lost faith in Pelosi and the rest of the liars that promised us change and never delivered on it.

I have great hope that either way we'll be better off than we have been for the last 8 years and better off than we were under Reagan's thumb.Those have been the two bleakest periods in my lifetime as far as gov ethics and the economy have been concerned and I can't imagine it getting much worse.IMO we should just ALL go out and vote our heart and support the winner regardless of who it may be and pray for the best for all of us.I think we'll be fine.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:21 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
The bottom line is that our economy is in horrible shape, we are disliked all over the world, and we have a crippling deficit that is more dangerous than the threat of terrorist attacks. We are involved in a war with no end which we cannot afford, and there are other fronts that are more dangerous than Iraq where we probably should be, but our resources are all in Iraq. Whoever is president cannot give us a land of milk and honey. We are going to have to make sacrifices whether McCain or Obama is elected. Most of those sacrifices will be in the form of taxes on someone. We can't continue this spend, spend, spend philosophy without paying for it. I believe it will take much more than 5 years to get us back in good shape. I may not live to see the United States restored to the economic progress, surplus in the budget, and good will world-wide that George W. Bush has squandered and destroyed. But I believe either of these guys will work toward that goal--Obama better than McCain because he already has the respect of the rest of the world. Vote. Pray. And continue to pray throughout the terms of office for the next 12 years. We will either get better, or we will get worse. Also, if McCain does get elected, pray very hard that he lives through his term of office. Palin simply does not have the grasp of the issues I listed or the grasp of the consequences of some of the actions she has suggested in dealing with them. Her simple misstatement about Iran this weekend could cause war if it came from a seated vice-president.
Rep to you

Old 11-03-2008, 05:26 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
To all who are "fearful for our country" if Obama is elected. . . please remember, it is Al Quaida that wants McCain elected. . . so that they can "justify" continued hate for America, so that they can look forward to endless war in the middle east to bolster their cause, and make it easy for them to recruit. Something to think about!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:31 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthoughts View Post

Theocracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Religion has no place in school because children are cruel to people, and again we are not a theocracy!!
And not everyone believes the same religion, not even the same christian flavor of religion. Wars have been fought and still are for that reason.

I remember one kid getting beat up every single day in a rural school for believing in their native religion. And another for going to the Methodist Church instead of Baptist, another kid being called a devil worshiper for not going to church at all. I mean wow just wow.

If you want your child to learn a faith, send them to private church school or make sure you are not lazy and attend sunday school and teach in your home.
Why is Islam, Buddhism, and everything else appropriate but Christianity not? If you were really for no religion in public schools, you would oppose the current system which sympathizes to every religion but Christianity.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:46 AM

234 posts, read 294,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po the Patriot View Post
God only knows

I do know that , unless the second coming of Christ happens, I believe it will be even worse than now.

One can only Pray ( I still do )
This kind of talk and thinking is exactly what scares the hell out of me. Not when is coming from you, but when is coming from VP candidate. VP to a 72 year old man with 4 cancer operations. She also believes in the second coming of Christ.

And just to be clear: by second coming of Christ you mean ARMAGEDDON… Right???

And she will have her finger on the button to start that!!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:48 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Shrubs View Post
This kind of talk and thinking is exactly what scares the hell out of me. Not when is coming from you, but when is coming from VP candidate. VP to a 72 year old man with 4 cancer operations. She also believes in the second coming of Christ.

And just to be clear: by second coming of Christ you mean ARMAGEDDON… Right???

And she will have her finger on the button to start that!!!!
This worries me as I think people are tempting providence.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:37 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
If Obama wins this country will go into a tailspin, the Democrats will blame Bush and the Republicans as they always do, even though they'll be in charge of everything. I'm not sure what it will take to get the Obamabots and loony left to realize that the Democrat entitlement, anti business mentality is bad for America. It will likely not be until we are reduced to the point of complete weakness and collapse before they see the truth of their messiah.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:39 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
It is now just about 50 hours before most polls will have closed. Assuming a fair vote with an accurate count, we'll begin to get a real idea of who we have elected. McCain or Obama? The more I study, the more angry I become. Obama scares the heck out of me, and McCain has run the poorest campaign since Bush 41. So poor, in fact, I wonder if elected how well he will perform.

I am going into the booth Tuesday, MAD AS HELL, disgusted with all the jerks, all the ignorant idiots (on both sides), and wondering if our nation can survive any of the possible outcomes. Race is an issue, but we can't talk about it. Poverty is an issue, but we ignore it. National Security is an issue, but we fear sounding scared.

No one has truly spoken to America but maybe Ron Paul, Mike Huckabee, and/or Newt Gingrich. Fox News has tried to fairly describe the issues, but still fail to teach how they will affect us. CNN, ABC, and CBS have just crawled under rocks or stuck their heads in the sand while NBC, the New York Times and most similar trash can filler has literally become the news sources of least accountability, unless you view their bias as being truth.

I am sick of failure in this nation to pay attention to the real issues. Taxes cost us over 50% of our personal incomes either directly or indirectly. Personal responsibility is almost non-existent with blame being placed on the rich, the poor, and the middle class.

Corporations can't be taxed for if they are, one of two outcomes are absolute. Either they raise prices, which cost consumers more, or they cause businesses to fail, costing employees jobs.

80% of American's claim to be Christian, but we can't pray as a public group, or expect our children to learn religious history, unless it's about Islam, Buddha, or some non-existent God.

If you have humored me by reading this post to this point, please take a few moments to think about five years from now. What to you honestly and logically think our USA will be like? Will it truly be better or worse?

I hope and pray to God that I my fears are unfounded.
if you are in a coal state, i certainly hope that you don't consider voting for obama. there is a post today on obama and the coal industry. it is just one more way that obama will redistribute taxpayer wealth to the issues that he likes and you just better hope that you are on the right side of his redistribution!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:39 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Not counting his time in Vietnam, when has McCain been tried as a senior senator? I don't know what that means when he says he has been tested..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections