U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:30 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,875,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
No one at this time knows if Obama will be a great, good, or mediocre President. All we know is he was a candidate who led in a election where the approval rate of the sitting President was low double digits during a tanking economy. He happened to be the guy who benefitted from these external factors. Kind of amazing that McCain has kept it so close with everything against him.

Time will tell how "good" a President he turns out to be.
You write as if you know McCain would be a great president..He hasn't shown anything in the last 3 months that exhibits the capacity to be President in 2008..He makes knee jerk decisions without thinking of the consequence(Palin) and swithches ideology at the blink of an eye..If a man can't run a competent campaign, he can't run the most powerful country in the world. We've already seen this movie..It's played out over the last 8 years and has been a total disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesroses View Post
Just because Obama is Harvard educated doesnt mean he will be a great president. I'm afraid he is one of these dreamers who thinks lofty thoughts but lacks the skills to implement them. We need a doer, not just a thinker.

Small businesses are the backbone of this country and Obama has no experience running one, planning a budget, managing workers, etc. I'm afraid his overblown experience as a community organizer just doesnt translate into the depth needed to be the leader of the free world.
McCain has none of the experience you mention along with being out of touch and Palin is a boob

Give me the Harvard guy that can surround himself with the best and brighest and make decisions that have our future in mind..If time moved backward instead of forward, McCain would be my guy but it doesn't..What got this country where it is WAS great but we need new ideas to take us where we need to go.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:41 AM

189 posts, read 403,325 times
Oh yeah, let him surround himself with the best and the brightest since he cant think for himself. Did you hear Bill Clinton the other day when he said Obama had to ask his advisors, then he had to ask Clinton's advisors, then he had to think about what to do about the economy. Do you think if there is some military crisis we have time to sit around and let him get everyone's opionion on what to do since he cant make up his own mind? Sometimes you need to be able to think on your feet.

McCain is a seasoned veteran in many areas and I feel lots safer with him at the helm than "that one" who has been made out to be some superhuman Messiah.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesroses View Post
Oh yeah, let him surround himself with the best and the brightest since he cant think for himself. Did you hear Bill Clinton the other day when he said Obama had to ask his advisors, then he had to ask Clinton's advisors, then he had to think about what to do about the economy. Do you think if there is some military crisis we have time to sit around and let him get everyone's opionion on what to do since he cant make up his own mind? Sometimes you need to be able to think on your feet.

McCain is a seasoned veteran in many areas and I feel lots safer with him at the helm than "that one" who has been made out to be some superhuman Messiah.
A smart leader knows he doesn't know everything..Of course he asked advisors!! Do you want McCain who admitted not knowing anything about economics "making the call" alone? I guess this is a fundamental difference..I want the leader who listens to different ideas and makes informed decisions and you don't.

If there is a military crisis, we better think about our response before jumping into the WRONG war in the WRONG way costing hundreds of thousands of lives..Being President is about about being thorough and prudent not making brash bravado based decisions without reasoning. Maybe you slept through the last 8 years but I didn't. All you want is what we've had but America wants smart, informed leadership..

Also, this post shows your ideology.."That one" comment was ridiculous.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:03 AM

3,668 posts, read 4,189,343 times
Default Intellectual Enlightenment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
I heard a commentator on the radio here in Spain saying that the difference between the two candidates and generally the two parties is that the Democrats and Obama tend to offer a more subtle and intellectual approach where voters are invited to think things and issue through and are challenged to think outside the box.

The Repubblicans on the other way offer the simplistic, black or white answer. Mediocrity goes with it.

If that is true than it means that the result of the election will depend on how many Americans are prepared to use their brains and how many prefer the easy pre-packed answer to problems.

I am amazed that after 8 years of Bush anybody would even consider voting Repubblican again.
What does it tell you that the counter movement to George W. Bush and the destructive neo-conservatives is best referred to as the Neo-Intellectuals? In other words, those that oppose the Bush/Chaney/Palin agenda are Republican, Democrat and Independent voters alike that share a lust for knowledge and a sincere wish for a return to rational thinking.

Europe had a thousand year long “Dark Age”, thank goodness that the United State’s has only lasted seven years.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:18 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,302,576 times
I"ve worked with my share of Harvard MBAs and have been largely unimpressed. In fact, one of them is sitting in the State Penitentiary finally serving his sentence for murder! And he was also a student leader in undergraduate school.

I think we could find a number of corporate and political leaders doing a stellar job without the educational pedigree. So in my assessment of Obama, his Harvard education didn't even make it into the mix. When I assessed the candidates (and I wasn't overly impressed with either of them), I thought about who they'd appoint to their team in the White House, who they might appoint to the Supreme Court, their past political records and who is likely to control Congress and how that might affect the balance of power.

McCain voted with Bush 90% of the time. Maybe good, maybe not so good. More likely not so good as a lot of Bush's policies were, in my opinion, wacko--ending with this ridiculous bailout. But people seem to forget that Obama voted with Pelosi et al, 95% of the time . Nancy Pelosi is the pure definition of a wacko as are her cronies. Can't wait to see what life is like with that bag of clowns in power.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:25 AM

1,643 posts, read 3,757,616 times
In case you haven't noticed, Obama has had all his college trascripts and records sealed. His Thesis is sealed, his medical records are sealed. So now how do you know he is brilliant? How do you know what kind of of studen he was? They interviewed 400+ students at his college and no one remembered him. Hmmm? Interesting.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 AM

3,668 posts, read 4,189,343 times
Default Dogma versus reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
In case you haven't noticed, Obama has had all his college trascripts and records sealed. His Thesis is sealed, his medical records are sealed. So now how do you know he is brilliant? How do you know what kind of of studen he was? They interviewed 400+ students at his college and no one remembered him. Hmmm? Interesting.
US Senator Barack Obama is smart enough not to be preaching fear and divisiveness in his campaign to become President. He has the intellect to understand that, “the only thing we have to fear is fear itself” or as intellectuals keep telling us, “The only thing we have to fear is the ‘culture of fear’ itself”.

Regardless of your political persuasion I’d like to ask you this question, If you are going to have a serious medical procedure performed would you rather it be done by a graduate from a prestigious school or by someone that graduated in the lower 5% of their class?

Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
His brilliant campaign and everybody ever having come into contact with him saying as much without one person saying he wasn't brilliant..Good enough?

So..stop fear mongering with all the "sealed" madness..If he wasn't whom he says he is, don't you think at least one Harvard Grad would've stepped up and said something but not one has. All these boogeyman theories are so comical!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
I"ve worked with my share of Harvard MBAs and have been largely unimpressed. In fact, one of them is sitting in the State Penitentiary finally serving his sentence for murder! And he was also a student leader in undergraduate school.

I think we could find a number of corporate and political leaders doing a stellar job without the educational pedigree. So in my assessment of Obama, his Harvard education didn't even make it into the mix. When I assessed the candidates (and I wasn't overly impressed with either of them), I thought about who they'd appoint to their team in the White House, who they might appoint to the Supreme Court, their past political records and who is likely to control Congress and how that might affect the balance of power.

McCain voted with Bush 90% of the time. Maybe good, maybe not so good. More likely not so good as a lot of Bush's policies were, in my opinion, wacko--ending with this ridiculous bailout. But people seem to forget that Obama voted with Pelosi et al, 95% of the time . Nancy Pelosi is the pure definition of a wacko as are her cronies. Can't wait to see what life is like with that bag of clowns in power.
Because you weren't impressed, all Harvard grad are slow?? Get a grip.. We're talking about "that one" from Harvard not those you know..Trying to dispute Obama's intellect is like defending Palin's competence.

If you want to see clowns in power, then press rewind for the last eight years because those clowns were really funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or