Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,853,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I'd like the person who can PERFORM the procedure best, which may not neccesarily be the one with the best "text book" smarts in the more expensive school.

The Harvard Crimson :: News :: Harvard Law School Adopts Pass-Fail Grading System

Since Harvard Law is now going to Pass/Fail grading, will it still hold the same academic weight as other schools, or will it be a school for rich kids whose parents brought their way in?
Since they are converting to the system already in place at schools such as Stanford and Yale, I think they'll be able to hold on to their academic reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 09:23 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,475,464 times
Quote:
Our economy was driven by factories in 1980..Today it is driven by technology, none of which McCain understands..The future of our ecomony is dependant on how we build our technological infrastructure ie..broadband lines etc..again none of which McCain has a grasp of..If you really think 2008 is anything like 1980, then McCain's your man..The rest of us are 28 years older and understand times change..
Doesn't matter if your unemployed because your factory shut down or unemployed because your IT job was outsourced to India. Technology has actually made it EASIER to outsource jobs. CT scans and X rays are now being sent to India to have their radiologists read them. Phone calls are diverted to call centers overseas without a hitch. Unemployment will rise and we'll see some Carter-esque similarities.[/quote]

Thanks for making my point as to how our economy is different

Old 11-03-2008, 09:24 AM

7,920 posts, read 9,141,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Doesn't matter if your unemployed because your factory shut down or unemployed because your IT job was outsourced to India. Technology has actually made it EASIER to outsource jobs. CT scans and X rays are now being sent to India to have their radiologists read them. Phone calls are diverted to call centers overseas without a hitch. Unemployment will rise and we'll see some Carter-esque similarities.
Thanks for making my point as to how our economy is different[/quote]

With the same end result, unemployment

Old 11-03-2008, 09:26 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,475,464 times
Quote:
Thanks for making my point as to how our economy is different
With the same end result, unemployment[/quote]

Not if we get the Change We Need!!!!!!

Make sure you vote

OBAMA 08'

Old 11-03-2008, 09:34 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,126,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
US Senator Barack Obama is smart enough not to be preaching fear and divisiveness in his campaign to become President. He has the intellect to understand that, “the only thing we have to fear is fear itself” or as intellectuals keep telling us, “The only thing we have to fear is the ‘culture of fear’ itself”.

Regardless of your political persuasion I’d like to ask you this question, If you are going to have a serious medical procedure performed would you rather it be done by a graduate from a prestigious school or by someone that graduated in the lower 5% of their class?
If he is a good doctor, then I would choose him to do this "serious medical procedure." If this person didn't care about any subjects other than government, English, and history, so what? If he can excel in those subjects then he is above average. The average person does average work in everything. Stellar grades don't mean anything, in and of themselves. A leader needs common sense, an attribute often lacking in so-called "intellectuals." On top of this, the Constitution does not demand that a citizen running for president have any attributes other than being natural born citizen and be at least 35 years old when he (or she) takes office, and has lived in the country for a given number of years (14?)

A guy in my home town once told me, "You need more than book learning; you need life learning." That was a paraphrase, but it's pretty close. Anyway, it made me think. The man may not have had the ability to learn in school, but he thought practical thoughts. I don't think he would have made a good president. People like that don't say much, and when they do, they are ignored. I think everybody has something to say, but we need people running for office who will listen.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Since they are converting to the system already in place at schools such as Stanford and Yale, I think they'll be able to hold on to their academic reputation.
"...honors pass, pass, low pass, and fail." Somebody tell me the difference between that and A, B, C, and D.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
McCain has none of the experience you mention along with being out of touch and Palin is a boob

Give me the Harvard guy that can surround himself with the best and brighest and make decisions that have our future in mind..If time moved backward instead of forward, McCain would be my guy but it doesn't..What got this country where it is WAS great but we need new ideas to take us where we need to go.
What's wrong with Annapolis? An Annapolis grad can't surround himself with the best and brightest?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:45 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,109,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Who's my messiah?

How many times have I said today that neither of the presidential candidates impress me. For me, it all boils down to Palin being really scary. Again, I don't want to see her anywhere near becoming the most powerful person in the world.

And, what is "whimping?"
I agree, but what is much scarier than Palin herself, are the people of this country that will actually be voting for her. Besides the fact that she is sharing the ticket with Mccain, I'm sure that there are people casting their vote for the McCain/Palin ticket because she is on it. Bone chilling!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
You can try and compare Carter to Obama but the world is completely different than what is was then, no cold war etc....However, McCain is excatly what Bush is and Bush is the one that will be handing the country over to one of these men in 3 months or so.
Oh, come on. That's what one side of the aisle has been preaching day in and day out, because it is their main strategy for winning the election: Convincing people that McCain is a carbon copy of Bush. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Even more comical when one considers that Harvard faculty are some of Obama’s most fervent financial supporters.

It’s sad really when McCainiacs have to vilify intellect in order to support their candidate.
Well, it follows that if these Harvard faculty are liberal, then they'll be supporting the liberal candidate.

Where has McCain vilified intellect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections