Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:44 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
You write as if you know McCain would be a great president..He hasn't shown anything in the last 3 months that exhibits the capacity to be President in 2008..He makes knee jerk decisions without thinking of the consequence(Palin) and swithches ideology at the blink of an eye..If a man can't run a competent campaign, he can't run the most powerful country in the world. We've already seen this movie..It's played out over the last 8 years and has been a total disaster.
I didn't say ANYTHING about McCain in my posting. I merely commented on the fact that NO ONE now knows how Obama will be regarded in history as a President. Intelligence and compassion does not necessarily correlate with Presidential success. Carter is a perfect example. Smart, compassionate man, horrible President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
US Senator Barack Obama is smart enough not to be preaching fear and divisiveness in his campaign to become President. He has the intellect to understand that, “the only thing we have to fear is fear itself” or as intellectuals keep telling us, “The only thing we have to fear is the ‘culture of fear’ itself”.

Regardless of your political persuasion I’d like to ask you this question, If you are going to have a serious medical procedure performed would you rather it be done by a graduate from a prestigious school or by someone that graduated in the lower 5% of their class?
I'd like the person who can PERFORM the procedure best, which may not neccesarily be the one with the best "text book" smarts in the more expensive school.

The Harvard Crimson :: News :: Harvard Law School Adopts Pass-Fail Grading System

Since Harvard Law is now going to Pass/Fail grading, will it still hold the same academic weight as other schools, or will it be a school for rich kids whose parents brought their way in?

Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I didn't say ANYTHING about McCain in my posting. I merely commented on the fact that NO ONE now knows how Obama will be regarded in history as a President. Intelligence and compassion does not necessarily correlate with Presidential success. Carter is a perfect example. Smart, compassionate man, horrible President.
M point was that you questioned Obama's ability to be an effective President while giving McCain a pass based on????????????? The are a million and 1 factors that go into a successful Presidency so nobody can predict how things will turn out. Based on what we've seen over the last 3 months, Obama will be patient, judicious and deliberate in his decision making and McCain will be hurried, quirky and inconsistent in his.

You can try and compare Carter to Obama but the world is completely different than what is was then, no cold war etc....However, McCain is excatly what Bush is and Bush is the one that will be handing the country over to one of these men in 3 months or so.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:55 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Because you weren't impressed, all Harvard grad are slow?? Get a grip.. We're talking about "that one" from Harvard not those you know..Trying to dispute Obama's intellect is like defending Palin's competence.

If you want to see clowns in power, then press rewind for the last eight years because those clowns were really funny.

Can you do me a huge favor? Can you point out where I said all Harvard grads are slow? Can you point out where I specifically disputed Obama's intellect?

Your post honestly makes me question your reading comprehension since I thought what I posted was rather easily comprehended. All I said was that I'd worked with my share of Harvard MBA's--quite a lot of them in fact--and was largely unimpressed. Then I went on to qualify WHY I didn't use Obama's educational pedigree when I assessed his candidacy worthiness.

It's posts like this that make me think that the hard-core people on both sides (McCain and Obama) are just looking for a reason to get into an argument.

Quote:
M point was that you questioned Obama's ability to be an effective President while giving McCain a pass based on????????????? The are a million and 1 factors that go into a successful Presidency so nobody can predict how things will turn out. Based on what we've seen over the last 3 months, Obama will be patient, judicious and deliberate in his decision making and McCain will be hurried, quirky and inconsistent in his.
Also as most psychologist will tell you, you can have two experiences simultaneously---they don't have to be of the same variety. So, someone questioning Obama's readiness for the Presidency, is not necessarily giving John McCain a "pass". The two are not mutually inclusive.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:58 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I want a President who will keep the country safe and not make radical changes. If that makes the person average then so be it. This is the President of the United States we are voting for, not President of some High School. People's lives and well being are at stakes along with people's finances, and just because some guy seems more hip and cool doesn't mean he's going to be the better person to deal with the issues at hand.
Threats are not always bad men from somewhere else. We are entering a deep recession with a likelihood that it could become a depression, constructed and designed by the greedy bastards (bad men) right here in our own country.

Do you not recognize that this is a tremendous threat to the security and future of this country? The threats from beyond our borders are secondary to the threats from within our seats of power, and to put another old, angry, mediocre man there, with his #2 being an empty headed twit?

Bush made radical changes, told everyone to stop being proud Americans, and to be trembling cowards, and Oh you need to hand in some of your freedoms and I'll keep you safe BS. Doing a hell of a job of eliminating the middle class.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:59 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,390,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I just don't want a president who is reading chapter 1 of "How to be a President for Dummies".

Amen to that.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:02 AM

You can try and compare Carter to Obama but the world is completely different than what is was then, no cold war etc....However, McCain is excatly what Bush is and Bush is the one that will be handing the country over to one of these men in 3 months or so.[/quote]

Economy is quite similar to what it was under Carter. Job losses should multiply soon as unemployment soars. Inflation is creeping up steadily. Iran is getting aggressive. Remember the American hostages taken by Iran?

I see some similarities.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:04 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
No.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:05 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Default Money where their mouth is

Quote:
His brilliant campaign and everybody ever having come into contact with him saying as much without one person saying he wasn't brilliant..Good enough?

So..stop fear mongering with all the "sealed" madness..If he wasn't whom he says he is, don't you think at least one Harvard Grad would've stepped up and said something but not one has. All these boogeyman theories are so comical!
Even more comical when one considers that Harvard faculty are some of Obama’s most fervent financial supporters.

It’s sad really when McCainiacs have to vilify intellect in order to support their candidate.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:05 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
We are entering a deep recession with a likelihood that it could become a depression,
I agree. This assessment is right on the money.

FDR assumed the Presidency under similar conditions. He promptly increased the size of government. Raised taxes. Raised spending. And brought the US into the deepest depression in history. It wasn't the stock market crash that triggered the depression, it was FDR.

Deval Patrick took over as Gov for MA a few years ago. The state was fiscally healthy. Romney is a good businessman and knows how to balance a budget. Since he's been Gov, he's increased the size of the bureacracy 25%. He's offered open amnesty to all illegal aliens (including Obama's aunt, but that's another story). He's forced the Commonwealth of MA, which had one of the strongest economies, into a recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections