U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:55 PM

7,181 posts, read 16,243,690 times

Advertisements

First off, this is not an issues post. Feel free to point that out. I am, indeed, writing about generalities here.

But what is wrong with wanting the leader of our country, and the free world, to be someone with above average intelligence? McCain and Palin are C-students at best, just like GWB. Perhaps even worse, with Palin going through 6 or so colleges and McCain nearly at the bottom of his class.

So seriously, why would you want more mediocrity (at best) in the White house? Think about it this way:

If you were flying on a plane, would like it to be designed by a top engineer or someone who barely passed their community college classes?

If you had to have a serious operation, would you want a doctor with a degree from a good school, or a doctor who would be a "nice guy/gal to have a beer with"?

If you needed someone to defend you in court when you are wrongfully accused, would you want someone who is articulate, intelligent and persuading, or someone who is erratic and temperamental? Furthermore, would you care if the lawyer shared your beliefs, or just that they were a darn good lawyer? Cause if you were wrongfully accused, those who share your beliefs might not even defend you.

Basically, when your life is on the line, do you trust it more to an average guy who may agree with your philosophy, or do you pick the outstanding intelligence who may differ with your beliefs? I know there is much more to the presidency than just intelligence and orator skills; but leadership is huge component. And leadership is not about what one person does; it's about how they inspire the people around them -- those who do the actual work running the country, those who can actually bring about change. Intelligence, competence, presence, speaking skills, power of persuasion... those are qualities that inspire.

I think what we've learned over the past 8 years, is that the "trickle down" theory applies to mediocrity in government -- put someone of GWB's intelligence in the top office, and there is no demand for excellence down the chain. Just average performance. And we end up with the results we have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 11:57 PM

3,528 posts, read 7,312,403 times
I just don't want a president who is reading chapter 1 of "How to be a President for Dummies".

Old 11-03-2008, 12:02 AM

2,765 posts, read 6,500,386 times
I want a President who will keep the country safe and not make radical changes. If that makes the person average then so be it. This is the President of the United States we are voting for, not President of some High School. People's lives and well being are at stakes along with people's finances, and just because some guy seems more hip and cool doesn't mean he's going to be the better person to deal with the issues at hand.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:05 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,572,923 times
I'm tired of mediocrity also, especially at the top. And I look forward to a competent, and hopefully an exceptional president.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:34 AM

5,598 posts, read 17,342,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I just don't want a president who is reading chapter 1 of "How to be a President for Dummies".
But Sarah Palin won't be running for president until 2012.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
But Sarah Palin won't be running for president until 2012.
Try defending your messiah instead of whimping out and attacking Palin.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:42 AM

5,598 posts, read 17,342,137 times
Who's my messiah?

How many times have I said today that neither of the presidential candidates impress me. For me, it all boils down to Palin being really scary. Again, I don't want to see her anywhere near becoming the most powerful person in the world.

And, what is "whimping?"

Old 11-03-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Who's my messiah?

How many times have I said today that neither of the presidential candidates impress me. For me, it all boils down to Palin being really scary. Again, I don't want to see her anywhere near becoming the most powerful person in the world.

And, what is "whimping?"
Okay, I apologize for assuming you supported Obama. I was wrong. You never heard of whimping? Guess that was an 80's and 90's NJ term. Whimping is taking the easy road away from something versus fighting the fight. I guess that's the best definition I can give.

You are entitled to your opinion of Palin. I do respect that.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:58 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,640,721 times
i certainly dont want an inexperienced one. NOBAMA 08!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:45 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,818,053 times
Yes I want an intelligent Pres. Someone who can "think outside the box" and come up with new and creative ways to resolve the major issues.

It is disturbing to know that I am smarter than the current Pres.

I've been unemployed and uninsured since I lost my job and my whole profession in June. Prior to that over the last 8 years I've watch my salary and health benefits shrink.

I'm 58 years old, I have no credit cards, my debt consists of a modest fixed rate mortgage and a mound of debt from health issues that my crappy insurance didn't cover.

I've already voted so, I'm sitting on pins and needles in hopes that the future will look bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or