U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,399,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
A friend of mine, someone I work with, has a son attending school in England. This is the first election in which he is eligible to vote. He made this comment: "I will not move back to the U.S. if McCain-Palin win, simple as that."

Thoughts?
Id say he has a bit more growing up to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,792 posts, read 3,646,420 times
BBC NEWS | Americas | Obama win preferred in world poll

I'm sure the righties will come in & say the usual "who cares about the rest of the world,we are THe Almighty US!!!"

34,990 posts, read 34,677,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Well, I could make a hat, or a brooch, or a pterodactyl. *awwk!* *awwk!*
May Day? May Day? Why, that's the Russian New Year!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,399,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
BBC NEWS | Americas | Obama win preferred in world poll

I'm sure the righties will come in & say the usual "who cares about the rest of the world,we are THe Almighty US!!!"
Some people are constantly waiting for others approval while others do what they think is best. One serves, the other leads.

4,608 posts, read 7,276,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
I feel the same way, but because I am older I think I've gained a bit more wisdom and realize that "running away" isn't going to make the problem go away. One of the reasons that I've been volunteering as frequently as I can for the Obama campaign is that I cannot imagine a McCain/Palin presidency. Another four years of sliding downwards? We won't recognize the place.
What does that mean, 'sliding downwards'? What is down? How do we get there? And what would the 0 do to stop that slide?

Really, I need to understand that.

8,640 posts, read 7,956,277 times
Good lord! Reading through this thread had my head swirling with images of petulant children stomping their feet chanting "if I don't get my way, I'm going to leave"

Leave please. The left has been using the same whine for years. Please leave or do you expect others to help you with that too?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:23 AM

3,855 posts, read 11,745,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
A friend of mine, someone I work with, has a son attending school in England. This is the first election in which he is eligible to vote. He made this comment: "I will not move back to the U.S. if McCain-Palin win, simple as that."

Thoughts?
"God save the Queen?"

He's welcome to stay. I hear England is wonderful with taxes and houses are very cheap....and the weather is AWESOME...ppppffffffahahahahaha

I've heard a lot of young people make comments like this in the last two elections. It's a silly comment really. I mean...seriously....you're going to move to Canada over the fact that you don't like someone who has little or no effect on the outcome of your every day life? I can't tell you how many people told me this when I was in college during the election in 2000....they did not move to Canada. I don't know of any of them moving to Canada. They just didn't follow through.

As much as I dislike some of the policies of GWB over the last 8 years I have never once, that I can recall, been directly changed either positively or negatively by anything he's done.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:26 AM

687 posts, read 2,561,691 times
whoopee. Whether from a hollywood "star" or a youth living off parents, to each his own. This still is, at least for now, a free country.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:32 AM

1,989 posts, read 3,931,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toosday View Post

Oh, please, comparing a McCain presidency to Nazi Germany? McCain would HARDLY be an Adolf Hitler. SURELY, that is NOT what you're saying.

That is not what I am saying. I said I'd stick around for McCain. It's Palin who I'm afraid of.

Nazi Germany didn't become Nazi Germany overnight. It happened gradually, starting with a shift in ideology and a quiet complacency at the gradual erosion of citizens' rights.

With the Patriot Act, the consistent intimidation of the press and those with opposing views, and the willingness of our government to find legalities to defend atrocities like kidnap and torture, I believe the US has already put a foot on the slippery slope.

There appears to be a large contingent ready and willing to name call and marginalize any non-Christian who doesn't agree with them. They stand with Palin. The fact that Palin even ASKED about banning books or teaching creationism in the schools, the fact that she is ALREADY dividing us into who's pro-America and who's anti-America, the fact that she's ready and willing to discredit and attack her opponents with smear-- all of these things make me believe she would further take us down that slope.

History has shown that you can't emigrate when it's obvious everybody needs to. There are not enough lifeboats. And the exit door slams shut.

I'm not waiting till we have an extremist government in place. I'll leave while it's forming and while I still can.

Will we be Nazi Germany? No. Could we become an oppressive unconstitutional America? Sadly, yes.

What's equally alarming to me is that any citizen is so dismissive of other citizens being so concerned that they are fleeing the country. Do you have any idea how bad it has to be for people to even consider doing that?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:37 AM

1,989 posts, read 3,931,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
What does that mean, 'sliding downwards'? What is down? How do we get there? And what would the 0 do to stop that slide?

Really, I need to understand that.
"O" taught Constitutional Law at the University of Chicago for ten years. If nothing else, maybe he'll help reverse the spying on library book selection, phone calls and emails that our government currently engages in.

He may or may not, but there's a fighting chance.

We got there via Bush, the Patriot Act, a terrified population and a weak Congress.

He may also decide to do crazy things like honor the Geneva Convention. But only if he's the wacko lefty liberal idealist everyone is painting him to be. Cause we all know that Geneva Convention is just more whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections