Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 10:09 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times

Advertisements

I'll make the assertion that MOST people are idiots. Idiocy knows no bounds, based on age, race, or gender. Just take a ride down main street at any time of day, and observe. Pick up a newspaper, and read. Look thru the pages of this, or any other forum........covering any type of subject matter or topic..........I rest my case.

I can say idiocy does know different levels, and degrees, however.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,555 posts, read 1,978,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
You should check out this Obama coalition that angered me so much I almost drove to the campaign headquarters just 15 mins from my house!

my.barackobama.com/kids
Oh be quiet. McCain emptied, what, 2 schools to fill up one of his rallies? Gimme a break

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
BChris02, Are you one of those angry old men who scream at kids to get off your lawn?
He probably is, and probably wanted to wire an electric shock into his lawn signs, too.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:17 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
If most parents thought like you did, life would be so much easier. And I loved the part about having your child doing some research, thank you. To many people tell thier kids "your a republican, or your a democrat because thats what I say you are because thats what I am". People like that are real Nimrods.
Thank you.

I haven't told my child who I am voting for. She watched the debates with us, did some research on both of their websites and asked some questions. She made her own decision, and will vote in her school's mock election. I am very proud of her for reaching her own conclusions.

I find it really odd that a parent would brag that their child did not vote at all because she did not feel informed enough. IMHO, there is no excuse for that. If you don't encourage your own child to care, who will?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:20 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,083 times
Most young people I know don't respond well to being called Idiots.

It's not like you go up to them and say "You're an idiot" then they say "Oh you are so right. I'm changing my vote. " Unless they were already going to vote for you.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:20 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am so sick of all these young people following Obama like blind sheep. Many of them don't even know what he stands for, but are out for Obama because its the "thing to do". They need to look beyond the gay issue and their anger at the religious right, and think about issues like taxes, jobs, energy, and national security that will affect them. Obama's plan will raise taxes on people making as low as $42,000/yr, kill jobs as small businesses will go under, he is against clean coal and nuclear, increase the already monstrous national budget, and is weak on national security almost to the point he could be considered a terrorist sympathizer. Yet nearly 8 out of 10 young people are lining up like sheep to vote for him. This isn't elementary school where everyone is a winner or little league soccer where everybody gets the same trophy so nobody's "feelings are hurt". This is the real world, and this generation needs to step into it.
You got that right bchris, however it's the other way around. You McCain supporters, yikes!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:21 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
You didn't mention that all of them volunteered to serve, even volunteered to go back for "2 and 3 and some even 4 tours of duties"

While we know they're volunteers, what is your source that they volunteered to go back 2-3 times? What percentage?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:23 AM

989 posts, read 2,497,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am so sick of all these young people following Obama like blind sheep. Many of them don't even know what he stands for, but are out for Obama because its the "thing to do".
You're wrong in one aspect: this herd is not limited to young people alone, but rather those of all ages are enthralled simply by smooth talk and populist messages.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Every person, young or old, has a right to vote for whomever they want and for whatever their personal reasons are.

Yes, unfortunately.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
How DARE you make the assertion that "Young people are idiots." I am a relatively young person and I am looking at ALL the issues, not just "the gay issue" and this is not about my anger at the "religious right."

I have an idealogical difference from the Republican party. it has nothing to do with age. I am extremely well-educated and well-informed. It really reflects poorly on YOU to simply say "you're stupid!" when someone doesn't agree with you. Young people in this country are often the ones who instigate major changes - and GOOD changes. They are the ones who are not bitter and callous about the system and still try to make a difference.

sad that you can't appreciate that. Are you one of those angry old men who scream at kids to get off your lawn?
Perhaps I can help out here. The OP is clearly upset at the prospect of an Obama presidency and is likely in a here-we-go-again state of mind. The problem the OP and I have with an Obama presidency is that the policies he is selling as "change" is something new to young people but not to us. We've seem this all before. I'm 46 and I voted for the first time in the 1980 election after four years of Stagflation, or Carternomics. Our present misery index is about half what it was at the end of the Carter administration (20.5%). I really don't want to go back to an economy like that or the weak failed foreign policy that led us into the present situation.

The problem that we have is one of perspective. The Bush policy of preemption has been too effective, and we have forgotten that people want to kill us and our children. If we had had an additional attack on Americans post 9/11, we would not be considering this person for president. Now we are to sit down and have a conversation with these radical Islamic nutjobs. Obama has a huge ego that has assured him that he can just work things out with anyone. Carter was naive too. Anyone who lived through those years remembers them as dark days. RCP has past electoral maps. Check out the ones for the 1980 and 1984 elections.
It's very telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections