U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,303,154 times

Advertisements

There are some that are privileged because of their families, but someone in their family worked their butt off to become successful and take care of his family. Not everyone can start rich. Every rich person had to get there some way, be it themselves, or a family member.

There's a dockworker that worked their butt off to become successful while others just sat on the docks and didn't work to become anything more. There are truck drivers that took the next step.

What happened to people aspiring to be more and not needing help to get there. That's the problem with this society. They believe that you need someone looking out for you to help you along.

The great generations said "screw everyone, I can do it myself". And they did.

Obama's new campaign slogan should be "Vote Obama, He'll help you stay right where you are".

And did you notice? The Bush thing came up again.

We're not voting on Bush. If there were third terms, I wouldn't vote for Bush because he has no idea what he's doing. He's not a conservative and bows to anyone and everyone instead of standing up and doing what's best for this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Kev, where's the response to my rebuttal? You insult people for not offering you a rebuttal, but when you get one, you ignore it. Hmmmm.....
Just did.

You're just another handout fan that will aspire to be nothing more than what you are right now. Good luck with that.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:06 AM

3,758 posts, read 7,656,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
There are some that are privileged because of their families, but someone in their family worked their butt off to become successful and take care of his family. Not everyone can start rich. Every rich person had to get there some way, be it themselves, or a family member.

There's a dockworker that worked their butt off to become successful while others just sat on the docks and didn't work to become anything more. There are truck drivers that took the next step.

What happened to people aspiring to be more and not needing help to get there. That's the problem with this society. They believe that you need someone looking out for you to help you along.

Obama's new campaign slogan should be "Vote Obama, He'll help you stay right where you are".

We're not voting on Bush. If there were third terms, I wouldn't vote for Bush because he has no idea what he's doing. He's not a conservative and bows to anyone and everyone instead of standing up and doing what's best for this country.
I have worked for 31 years and raised a child by myself since he was five weeks old. I am voting for Obama because I feel that people like me who have tried all their lives to do the very best they could and continually bumping into brick walls could use a little help once in awhile.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:08 AM

Out of ALL the responses, we've heard about rich people, and Bush, and everything else under the sun, but again....

HOW CAN HE MAKE GOOD ON ALL THESE CAMPAIGN PROMISES WITHOUT RAISING TAXES ON EVERYONE?

No answer to that yet...He can't. It's a very basic question.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I have worked for 31 years and raised a child by myself since he was five weeks old. I am voting for Obama because I feel that people like me who have tried all their lives to do the very best they could and continually bumping into brick walls could use a little help once in awhile.
And is your life miserable? Not everyone is going to be super wealthy, but you made it this long and I'd venture to say you've had a happy life. What's Obama going to do for your quality of life?

He says all the right things, but he there's no way that they can be followed through on without raising your taxes.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:10 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,869,017 times
Quote:

I guess McCain's will be "Help me dig this ditch a little deeper"....The vast majority of the wealthy in U.S. inherit it, they don't make it..Some do but they're in an even smaller minority..I guess we should taylor the economy to suit that very small mionrity and hope they sprinkle wealth down on everybody, give me a break..Americans are so tired of all the rightoues bootstrap talk..The great majority of Americans can only hope to lead middle class lifestyles and have stable retirements..That's it...A dockworker has a better chance of hitting the lottery than getting rich on the docks..Sell your BS to somebody else.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:13 AM

3,758 posts, read 7,656,691 times
Quote:
And is your life miserable? Not everyone is going to be super wealthy, but you made it this long and I'd venture to say you've had a happy life. What's Obama going to do for your quality of life?

He says all the right things, but he there's no way that they can be followed through on without raising your taxes.
Health care. Raise my taxes. Just give me good health care.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:18 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,869,017 times
Quote:
Out of ALL the responses, we've heard about rich people, and Bush, and everything else under the sun, but again....

HOW CAN HE MAKE GOOD ON ALL THESE CAMPAIGN PROMISES WITHOUT RAISING TAXES ON EVERYONE?

End the war, eliminate programs that don't work..Tax the wealthy a little bit more etc..

Obama has laid it out a million times unlike McCain and his "I can fix it" without any details statement. If you disagree with Obama that's ok but don't act you don't know his strategy.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:20 AM

39,995 posts, read 24,249,026 times
Quote:
Just did.

You're just another handout fan that will aspire to be nothing more than what you are right now. Good luck with that.

So this is an example of how you handle yourself in a discussion. I asked for some support for your statement that the wealthy in our society created jobs, I pointed out that most of our large corporations grew from small businesses started by the middle-class. You agreed, and then you insulted me and made a wild generalization. You get zero points in the debate, I get two points. I win.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 AM

552 posts, read 980,985 times
Quote:

The richest people in America control over 90% of our countries' wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or