Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:05 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times

Advertisements

Bible Study - The Two Kinds Of Pride

Selfish pride can be defined as "excessive confidence or glorification in one's self, possessions or nation." The concept is found in The Bible, along with pride itself, in words such as arrogance, haughtiness and conceit, among others, all of which are opposite of Godly humility. The wrongness of self-centered pride is essentially twofold. On a spiritual level, it inevitably leads to disregard, disrespect and disobedience to God i.e. self-centered pride is primarily what transformed the once-righteous Lucifer into the wicked Satan after he became too impressed with himself: "I will make myself like the Most High" (Isaiah 14:14 RSV, see also Born To Be Wild?). On a worldly level, selfish pride very often results in self-destructive behavior because, while a form of self-delusion, it isn't necessarily as much an overestimation of one's self as it is a dangerous underestimation of others, hence "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall" (Proverbs 16:18 RSV). The Bible also speaks of a good pride, but it differs greatly from selfish pride.

Hmmmm....who is this describing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Bill O'Reilly

1,836 posts, read 3,182,723 times
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

Obama from the start has been humbled by the outpouring of support while McCain has displayed a sense of entitlement to the presidency.

2,667 posts, read 6,779,210 times
Uh, the Republican campaign is the one boasting, showing pride, and demeaning its opponent. And yes, pride doth come before a fall > see Nov 4th. Obama has been extremely humble this entire time. You have the right to your opinion, but I just for the life of me cannot understand how red your glasses must be to think that Obama has been the prideful one.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:08 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
McCain is a wicked man about as Christian as Yassar Arafat was.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:09 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
When someone resorts to using religion & the bible to argue their "point", they've lost all credibility.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:10 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
When someone resorts to using religion & the bible to argue their "point", they've lost all credibility.
God punishes those who use His words to promote their agenda. McCain will not be exempt from this punishment.

574 posts, read 1,208,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Yeah, that

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Bible Study - The Two Kinds Of Pride

Selfish pride can be defined as "excessive confidence or glorification in one's self, possessions or nation." The concept is found in The Bible, along with pride itself, in words such as arrogance, haughtiness and conceit, among others, all of which are opposite of Godly humility. The wrongness of self-centered pride is essentially twofold. On a spiritual level, it inevitably leads to disregard, disrespect and disobedience to God i.e. self-centered pride is primarily what transformed the once-righteous Lucifer into the wicked Satan after he became too impressed with himself: "I will make myself like the Most High" (Isaiah 14:14 RSV, see also Born To Be Wild?). On a worldly level, selfish pride very often results in self-destructive behavior because, while a form of self-delusion, it isn't necessarily as much an overestimation of one's self as it is a dangerous underestimation of others, hence "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall" (Proverbs 16:18 RSV). The Bible also speaks of a good pride, but it differs greatly from selfish pride.

Hmmmm....who is this describing?
I'll take a guess: The Religious Right?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:13 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,235 times
Keep your damn bible crap out of campaigns, elections, all politics, and all public areas please.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections