Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
The vote flipping of the machines is well documented and has happened to countless voters this election cycle. A machine in CO was finally impounded and taken out of service for constantly vote flipping (meaning a voter selects one candidate and the machine jumps to the other candidate). Why have the countless other flipping voting machines not been taken out of service?! They can hand people a paper ballot, as they are generally entitled to have anyway if they dont want to vote on the machine. Paper ballots are a lot more secure than any machine without a paper printout where voting results get sent over computers that actually pass through servers of a company closely linked to the GOP. This is fact not fiction, as crazy as it sounds. Machines undercounted by 18,000 in one recent very close election (meaning supposedly 18,000 voters somehow didn't register a vote). Vote flipping and machines with no paper trail should be troubling for ALL Americans regardless of party affiliation.
I agree and very well said!
There has just got to be a better way to keep all sides honest and let the American people really have a true vote that counts, each and every one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,046 times
I just finished watching "Hacking Democracy" on HBO and dear lord I'm stunned at what BlackBox.org found out. Doesn't leave me with much confidence in our computer voting systems.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,895 times
I don't know who does the voting machines here in Nevada but I liked them. Not only was it easy to use with little room for "big finger" errors, but also gave me not one, but two chances to review all of my votes and go back to change them if I made a mistake. Then finally I got to see an actual paper printout of my votes that went into a secured box as a backup record.

Of course I didn't like the fact that the lady next to me hissed at me when she saw me hit the McCain/Palin button. But I just turned and smiled at her. The sad thing was you could tell who was voting only for the presidential election and skipping the local stuff based on the dings the computer made. I find it distressing that so many just totally ignored our local elections, yes the president is important, but these other elections effect our day to day lives just as much if not more so.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
This is a very disturbing article IMO.
Was it as disturbing during the last election cycle when Diebold made promises to Bush and delivered?
Was it as disturbing when voting disparities were found in favor of the rethuglicans?
No, at that point it was pretty well pooh-poohed.

It's the hypocrisy.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...boldstalin.htm

"It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes," Joseph Stalin

Old 11-03-2008, 11:50 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/wa...=1&oref=slogin

The federal government is investigating the takeover last year of a leading American manufacturer of electronic voting systems by a small software company that has been linked to the leftist Venezuelan government of President Hugo Chávez.........

(see article for full story)

This is from the New York Times, not some kind of funky created web site.
Please!!! This is not a Left verse Right thread, lets not make it one.
Does this info make you wonder if your vote will even be counted?
Do you think something as important as voting equipment be created and manage only by American companies or at least ones that are friends verses foes?

What do you all think about this?

I think after the 2000 election there were many concerns with the integrity of voting machines that should have had the Federal government looking into them on Nov 3rd, 2000. Since then there have been a large number of local, state and federal elections held on a variety of electronic voting machines that either through poor maintenance, uneducated poll workers, tampering, or whatever have shown to produce questionable results that were unverifiable. To me, living in a nation that is in most accounts the top of the pyramid, this is unacceptable.

At the very least, if we are going to do things electronically, we should at least have a receipt I mean for Pete's sake, I get one for filling up my car in a matter of seconds, why not for purposes of verifying my vote?

Old 11-04-2008, 12:33 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,046 times
Quote:
Was it as disturbing during the last election cycle when Diebold made promises to Bush and delivered?
Was it as disturbing when voting disparities were found in favor of the rethuglicans?
No, at that point it was pretty well pooh-poohed.
Now that I know what happened, yes it is very disturbing.

Quote:
At the very least, if we are going to do things electronically, we should at least have a receipt I mean for Pete's sake, I get one for filling up my car in a matter of seconds, why not for purposes of verifying my vote?
I agree.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:36 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,405 times
I think the one-liners here need not be. This is SERIOUS. I just want a fair election, whomever wins! Please!

The reports of postal workers throwing out absentee votes, road workers finding thousands of applications on the side of the freeway in Florida and so on. It's too much!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:38 AM

972 posts, read 1,331,050 times
I had a scanner feed machine freak out on me and jam my ballot when I voted this year and then I didn't see it print a ticket and the election official just said, no it's fine and pushed me like cattle out the door. I don't believe my vote counted. I wish I had thrown a hissy because now I wonder if my vote counted. I thought I would feel good after voting, and I don't.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:41 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Sadly, those used in my county have no paper record to give to the voter. Push a button and hope for the best.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:41 AM

972 posts, read 1,331,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I think the one-liners here need not be. This is SERIOUS. I just want a fair election, whomever wins! Please!

The reports of postal workers throwing out absentee votes, road workers finding thousands of applications on the side of the freeway in Florida and so on. It's too much!
uh give me that link?

You need to remember Bush was told he would be handed the last election and he was, told by the man that owned part of that states voting machine company. The GOP has nothing to worry about, it's mostly the DEMS and independants that are losing sleep over this after 00 and 04.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections