Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:19 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times

Advertisements

At first I thought the TITLE of this thread was wrong. I've heard news reports that Reagan DEMs were voting Obama, for several reasons, but mostly due to the Palin pick. Moderates of both parties are running FROM away from Palin.

The Palin pick was a huge strategic blunder by the GOP, who forced Palin onto McCain to get the evango-fascist voting bloc. IMO, that was a bogus ploy for THIS year, i.e., Rove/Schmidt et al tried to fight the last war again. Huge flop.

The evango-fascist wingnut bloc of votes shattered over the past few years with the mainline moderate religious voters turning up their noses and walking away from the nearly insane "platform" of the evango-fascists in the American Taliban of Dobson, Robertson, Falwell{d}, Hagee, Parsley, Haggart, et al.

Here in COLO SPGS, the belly of the evango-fascist beast, mainline national religious leaders took a full page ad in the local paper in the summer of 2007 that took Dobson, et al, to task for being more concerned with FUND RAISING for the abortion fight then they were at fighting the abortion fight. I've said for years that these TV talking heads were only in it for the money, you should see the palace Dobson has built unto himself here in COLO SPGS.

In recent weeks, one news item I've seen says that major Catholic organizations are backing off their "death to Roe v Wade" scorched earth campaign to focus more resources instead on ways to reduce unwanted pregnancies and to help struggling single moms keep their babies. Finally, common sense is prevailing; we are finally moving in the right direction - towards common ground at the center (away from both lunatic fringes).

Its no secret that 60-65% of people think Roe v Wade should stay legal, just in case; that reducing unwanted pregnancies is the best way to lower the abortion rate, and that no matter what, abortions will always exist.

What this means to the election is that the GOP pandered to the evango-fascist wingnut bloc, but that bloc no longer exists as a single monolithic bloc of certain votes and money for the GOP. It's NOT 2004 over again.

The Palin pick by the GOP drove moderate GOP'ers and Reagan DEM's to the Obama campaign.

Landslide Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 11:20 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
I've had numerous chats with folks who are voting for Obama in large part because of Palin. That works for me . . .
guilty as charged

Old 11-04-2008, 11:24 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
She chased away my MIL and her sister as well, who are social liberals.

To be fair, I think McCain was in a tough spot when he picked his VP candidate. To that date, I think his campaign was being handled poorly. So, he had to make a choice that was either going to appeal to the socially liberal/blue blood faction, or the social conservative base of the party. His advisors probably wrestled with the decision for a while, and ultimately felt that he'd be better served attempting to energize his base, knowing that he was going to lose the socially liberal to moderate voter. The alternative choice would have been someone along the lines of Leiberman or Tom Ridge. Had he gone this route, he'd have lost support in the south (states such as Georgia, NC, etc would have been firmly blue) and in the Great Plains.

I would not have wanted to be on the team of persons who had to pick a VP for this campaign.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Reagan Republican Dennis Hopper says Palin led him to vote Obama.

Nice Work Sarah!
He's not the only one. I am another Reagan Republican who voted for a Democrat presidential candidate for the first time ever because of the poor poor poor poor poor poor poor poor choice of Palin for VP. Had McCain chosen almost ANYONE else he still would have had my vote.

We need intellectuals in the white house not some crazy soccer mom who barely received her BA degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections